Publix

Relient J

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Publix didn't reopen the old Albertson's(nee FoodMax) in Murfreesboro when they took over the Nashville Albertson locations? I suspect the store was not doing very well or they felt it was not well located. The two BiLo locations aren't far away from the old Albertson's, so I suspect it was a volume issue.

Another question, Publix and Harris-Teeter came to Atlanta at almost the same time. Harris-Teeter was a little more upscale and definitely pricier, which along with the distance between Atlanta and the North Carolina core market for Harris-Teeter resulted in their selling the Atlanta locations to Kroger. Has Publix caused a loss of business for Harris-Teeter or has their business mainly come at the expense of Kroger? Nashville is further from Harris-Teeters other stores than Atlanta was and I think they might not be in the area for much longer. I doubt Kroger would be able to buy Harris-Teeter in the Nashville market as Kroger already has over 40% of the share for grocery dollars and I doubt the courts would allow it. Harris-Teeter has been focusing on its Carolina markets and some in Virginia, and have closed one of their Jacksonville, FL locations, leaving two there. Charleston and Hilton Head are the only cities in South Carolina that Harris-Teeter still operates stores.

In addtion to Kroger, Harris-Teeter and Publix I believe H.G. Hills and Food Lion have a lot of stores. Is anyone else in the area?

It's my understanding that Publix intends to expand agressively in Nashville over the next few years. I believe Nashville and Birmingham may be more different than Atlanta and the Florida markets they are more familiar with.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Bi-lo even if it was marketed to a blue collar or lower income population. It was the only place where I could get a good Artisan bread without having to go to Wild Oats. Publix and Harris Teeter are ok, but they are no Kroger. Unless they lower their prices and lay their stores out better, I don't think they'll have a chance. They don't even provide a Nature Market, which generally saves me a drive to Nashville or Franklin. Since my boyfriend is a Celiac, he cannot eat any bread or wheat products, not even oatmeal. At Kroger I can find rice bread, cookies, cakes, and other things to cook for him unlike the other stores. I even particularly like the Pamela's Chocolate Cake mix...m m good.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that Publix is the most viable competition Kroger has had in Nashville in years. The FoodMax stores were initially strong, but as Bruno's struggled with internal problems after the mid-90's, they began a downward spiral and Albertson's never reversed the decline, I think they Albertson's never dedicated themselves to learning the Nashville market and build name recognition in the region, versus Kroger being well established in Middle Tennessee since the 1930's. H.G. Hills succeeds due to being recognized as the local chain, but doesn't have enough locations outside of Nashville-Davidson to benefit the suburbs. Red Food originall opened one of the Murfreesboro BiLo locations, as well as Tullahoma, Manchester, Columbia, Franklin, Lewisburg, and Lebanon stores and become the biggest alternative to Kroger in Middle Tennessee south of Nashville but BiLo's problems have virtually eliminated them from the picture. Harris-Teeter is simply to expensive for the average shopper and doesn't really offer much the competiton doesn't have for less, the distance of Nashville from the rest of Harris-Teeter's locations doesn't bode well for their long term prospects either. Food Lion fills in as a giant convenience strore in most areas rather than as the local grocer of choice. Publix is more expensive in many areas than Kroger, but generally has decent advertised prices, decent quality in deli-bakery, produce and other fresh areas but less selection than Kroger in general merchandise, over-the-counter meds, and health and beauty care items. But they are succeeding and growing in an environment were most other grocery chains are struggling against Wal-Mart Supercenters and specialty chains like Whole Foods, Trader Joes and Aldi. Kroger has fared reletively well also, but doesn't seem to be in expansion mode like Publix is.

Publix will open a fifth store in north Murfreesboro according to the dnj. The first two will open at the end of this month at North Field and Rutherford, the second two will open at Franklin Road and St. Andrews Drive. The fifth store will open at Thompson Lane. Publix is giving Kroger a run for its money, it seems. Kroger plans to open a store on Rutherford as well which is nearing completion. Kroger also has plans for a seventh store on Manchester Highway.

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...NEWS01/70305024

I don't think Publix is much more expensive than Kroger, really. The little difference in price is more than made up for (in my mind) by the far superior service. I've never been to a grocery store where the employees are as friendly and eager to help as those at Publix. Good luck trying to find anyone to help you at Kroger.

We were in Publix (Smyrna store) about a week ago, and my wife was looking for wheat germ. Three different employees (including the manager) helped us scour the store looking for it. When we finally realized they didn't have the kind she needed, they told us they would go to Wild Oats and pick it up for us. Apparently they have a book up front, and if there's anything they don't carry that you want, just sign the book. They'll go to Kroger, Wal-Mart, Wild Oats, Harris Teeter, or wherever and get it for you. Then you just buy it from Publix next time you're in.

I can't wait till the one by me opens next fall!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that two Publix stores will be opening today in Murfreesboro. Both of them are in locations previously occupied by Bi-Lo. One is on Memorial Blvd., the other is on S. Rutherford. My wife and I plan to stop by there this evening.

Both stores look great and will be a positive change for the community. I particularly like the signage and brightness of the stores. However, I didn't think they could pull it off at the Memorial store because it is a smaller space than what Publix usually operates.

Both stores look great and will be a positive change for the community. I particularly like the signage and brightness of the stores. However, I didn't think they could pull it off at the Memorial store because it is a smaller space than what Publix usually operates.

I had heard they were going to tear Memorial down and rebuild, but something about the other tenants leases kept that from happening.

It brought me a lot of joy to shop at Publix tonight. I went to the one on Memorial, as it's the nearest one to my house. I grew up in Florida, and my family shopped at Publix regularly. I've loved living in Murfreesboro, but walking through Publix tonight felt like a little piece of home had come to me. I know that probably sounds weird. After all, I realize we're talking about a grocery store, but it had that affect on me.

The Memorial Publix is small, but it seemed well laid out. I like the way they freshened up the outside. It looks like it's had a fresh coat of paint unless I'm mistaken. The interior looked great too. I'll have to check out the other Publix sometime for fun. Hopefully this will encourage me to buy groceries more and eat out less. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has Publix caused a loss of business for Harris-Teeter or has their business mainly come at the expense of Kroger?

The Nashville-area Grocery Market is decidedly different from any other market in TN and may parts of the South. The area has always had a wide variety of grocery stores to choose from. The U.S. as a whole is becoming much more of a food nation (paying attention to quality vs. blindly eating) so this will be to the benefit of grocers everywhere. Overall, Nashville has been ahead of this curve for years. Each grocery chain has its market niche. I don't foresee Harris Teeter leaving anytime soon - they're actually building/planning new stores. They market themselves (at least in Nashville) to a more savvy shopper, one who enjoys the atmosphere and experience as much as the food he/she will prepare.

Long story short, Nashville has one of the best grocery store selections in the South. The people here like their choices.

• 6 months later...

Work is currently underway on Murfreesboro's 4th Publix, but 2nd from dirt to finished product. This Publix is located across from Alvin C. York V.A. Hospital, on Memorial BLVD, near Thompson LN/Compton RD intersection. More specific, the field beside the freckin Kangaroo station. We're hoping for a Starbucks and Chick-fil-A as well, but the Starbucks is more likely. Either way, it will be very convenient to my family that lives behind Siegel High. Excellent location, It'll take away from Kroger, lord knows how many people hate them.

And once this location opens, that should be all of the openings in this area for a while. Publix's intrest has shifted to Chattanooga where a major expansion into that market is taking shape. This from a more than reliable source within the company of course.

And once this location opens, that should be all of the openings in this area for a while. Publix's intrest has shifted to Chattanooga where a major expansion into that market is taking shape. This from a more than reliable source within the company of course.

I believe there is one planned for the corner of Hwy 99 and St. Andrews. I saw a sign there several weeks ago. I was surprised because it is so close to the one on 96.

I believe there is one planned for the corner of Hwy 99 and St. Andrews. I saw a sign there several weeks ago. I was surprised because it is so close to the one on 96.

No more are going to be constructed for a while according to management in the company. Now, they can't rule out a single store here and there, but the massive expansion is over. Chattanooga is where their attention is focused right now.

I never realized Publiz had such a big presence in Murfreesboro. Is Publix in Franklin or any other metro cities?

Off Topic: Lexy do you know if Publix is looking at the Jackson or Memphis markets? Jackson seems like it would be a prime location for a Publix since Kroger is dominants the market with 4 -soon to be 5- Krogers against only one sizable AWG supplied store. A few low end stores dot the landscape along with two Wal-Mart Supercenters, but Kroger really has no peer competitors in the Jackson market. EW James the local peer competitor chain out of Union City for some reason never ventured into Madison County, although they have multiple stores in surrounding counties. I hear folks gripe about Kroger dominance, but as of yet I've not heard any speculation about any new supermarkets aside from Kroger expanding further - which is weird since the market seems to be one ripe for a little competition.

I never realized Publiz had such a big presence in Murfreesboro. Is Publix in Franklin or any other metro cities?

Off Topic: Lexy do you know if Publix is looking at the Jackson or Memphis markets? Jackson seems like it would be a prime location for a Publix since Kroger is dominants the market with 4 -soon to be 5- Krogers against only one sizable AWG supplied store. A few low end stores dot the landscape along with two Wal-Mart Supercenters, but Kroger really has no peer competitors in the Jackson market. EW James the local peer competitor chain out of Union City for some reason never ventured into Madison County, although they have multiple stores in surrounding counties. I hear folks gripe about Kroger dominance, but as of yet I've not heard any speculation about any new supermarkets aside from Kroger expanding further - which is weird since the market seems to be one ripe for a little competition.

Within my trusted contacts at Publix, I have never heard anything west of Nashville mentioned. From what I understand, and this is just pure speculation right now, they want to saturate this area and then base a distribution center here for expansion into Kentucky. I have heard Bowling Green and Louisville/Lexington mentioned for the next ten-twenty year expansion. But again, it is just pure heresay and I would take it with no serious meaning right now. Now, that's not to say they won't go west, but Publix tends to go where there's a considerable amount of income and if they feel that an area is not "within" their target demo, they get out or don't go (a good example was Antioch here in Nashville). Some of the suburbs of Memphis and environs could handle a Publix just from outward appearances IMO, but I doubt there would be much in the way of investments in the inner city right now.

Not true, a fifth Publix is planned for Highway 99. Dirt has turned and construction should begin soon. Smyrna's second store is also under construction on Almaville Road.

Edited by Justiceham

Not true, a fifth Publix is planned for Highway 99. Dirt has turned and construction should begin soon. Smyrna's second store is also under construction on Almaville Road.

There is a sign up for that store on Almaville Road, but dirt HAS NOT been turned on it and construction has not started. Publix is still undecided on whether they want that store to go ahead or not right now. This is from MANAGEMENT WITHIN THE COMPANY. Not some crap I just made up. Jesus Christ! I give up.

And yes, their intrest has shifted to Chattanooga. God forbid anyone take their eyes off precious little backwoods Murfreesboro for five seconds.

Edited by Lexy

Geez, you don't have to get all huffy. There is a sign up for the Publix on 99. I haven't talked anyone in the manangement of the company, but I know what I saw.

I'm not huffy, but poeple from Murfreesboro carry a chip on their shoulder like people from Memphis do. It's hard to speak in reality with some on here. It's almost like having a "Little Man Complex". But I digress. Read the rest of my reply and that's all I have to say about it.

Having a sign up means nothing. None of the stores, with perhaps the exception of two, that have signs up and nothing else are a done deal around here. I can think of one Publix that had a sign up in Mt. Juliet but never got built because Publix cut it out of their expansion. Signs are just that, signs. Think of it like this too, Murfreesboro is only so big, which means there can only be so many stores there. Remember the Bi-Lo stores they bought? That was part of their expansion here. Publix is a tight family run company when it comes to spending and expansion. Unless they feel they will without a doubt get money back from their investment, they don't go through with it.

I maybe wrong about the new store on Almaville Road, but my sources have said that store is not a definate. Now there is one store that will happen and that's on Mt View Road in Nashville. From my understanding, that store is a go. Also one of the Murfreesboro stores is a go according to my sources. But the massive expansion that we saw out of them last year in this area is over. Their strategy for Middle Tennessee is to mature the stores they have now, and soon to have, and slowly grow into the niche markets within Middle Tennessee. I think that's smart!

Edited by Lexy

I knew it wouldn't be long before the bashing would begin again. I watch the Murfreesboro City Council, Murfreesboro Planning Commission, Rutherford County Planning Commission (which my uncle is a member of) and Smyrna Council meetings and both of these stores will open. It is completely ok to be wrong sometimes, but bashing is not necessary. I don't buy at all that anyone from either Memphis or Murfreesboro has a "little man" complex as these are two great cities and more great things will continue to happen.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=2804

Edited by Justiceham

• 2 months later...

City Council to consider the plans for a 4th Publix in the yet to break ground Salem Cove shopping center at Highway 99 and St. Andrew's Drive, on the citiy's SW side.

DNJ article brief

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../801230331/1088

I know you are just quoting the DNJ, but this will actually be the 5th Publix in Murfreesboro. Work has already begun on the Memorial Blvd/Thompson Lane Publix. It should open later this year and be the 4th in Murfreesboro joining Memorial/Northfield, Old Fort Parkway, and Rutherford Blvd locations.

However, I would not be surprised if they shut the old Memorial Blvd store once the new one is open 3 miles down the street.