MTSU Football

Relient J

Was anyone else at the home opener for the Blue Raiders last week? My wife and I are season ticket holders, and stayed for all four quarters. It wasn't the prettiest win, but a win's a nice way to start the year and the Rick Stockstill era at MTSU. It was also great to see so many people at the game. It was the seventh-highest attended game in school history if I recall what the DNJ said correctly. I think it's great to have a NCAA Division I-A college football team right here in our own city, and I really hope the city will continue to support the team like the fans did last week at Floyd Stadium. The Blue Raiders have their next home game on Thursday, Sept. 14 at 6 PM against Tennessee Tech. Go Blue Raiders!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I didn't get to go. However, I did get to enjoy the pep-rally from inside my classroom in Peck Hall. It was quite interesting listening to my teach yell as the band played "who wants the funk" right outside our window!

As I was waiting on the bus back to Nashville I did see a ridiculous amount of people headed to the stadium. I think MTSU has the right idea by getting a few thursday night games. Many of the students who can not attend a fri/sat game will be able to go to a thursday game. It could possibly help attendance alot. As usual the fraternities/sororities were out in force(don't knock them, they are the biggest supporters). I also think it is nice that the school allows tailgaiting on campus. That is kinda a no-no that the school looks past, but I think it definately helps with numbers.

Anyways, I really hope the Blue Raiders have a great season and that many people come out to support them.

"Blue Raiders riding on to victory,

never failing in the fight.

Upholding honor and tradition,

for the name thats held most high.

M-T-S-U marching onward,

this will be our battle cry.

For the one, true, pride of the blue,

MTSU Riders ride......

M......T......S......U......

MTSU! MTSU! Go Raiders, Go!!!

For the one true pride of the blue,

MTSU Raiders ride!"

---MT fight song

The attendance figure is big news because it's only the seventh largest crowd in school history, and because as I understand it there's been some trouble getting the local community to support the team with their attendance. The 7-6 win doesn't sound exciting, and indeed it was mostly a defensive game, but given that we hadn't won a home game the first game of the season in a few years, it was a pretty big deal. That not only is a big deal in terms of MTSU's standing in the Sun Belt Conference this season, but also because it may mean higher attendance at the next home game.

I'm a student at MTSU and a resident of Murfreesboro, so I'm a litle biased toward the Blue Raiders. To me though it's just very cool to have a division I-A college foortball team in town.

Hey, believe me, I'm glad that MTSU and D1 football is here too; But I bet if you had an opening game at Neyland with 30% of the seats empty, it wouldn't be viewed as positive.

At least MTSU has an excuse why their attendance is low (suitcase college, unknown opponents, still building a D1 program); Vanderbilt is an embarrasment to the state of Tennessee. If their stadium ever reaches 70% capacity, you can be sure that at least 50% of the fans are cheering for Vandy's opponent!

Edited by rocky top buzz

Hey, believe me, I'm glad that MTSU and D1 football is here too; But I bet if you had an opening game at Neyland with 30% of the seats empty, it wouldn't be viewed as positive.

The difference here (to which you already alluded) is that if 30% of the seats at Neyland were empty for a home opener, it would mean the Tennessee football program had fallen a long way. At this stage in the game, the fact that only 30% of Floyd Stadium's seats were empty represents positive motion, relatively speaking. That's why the attendance at the FIU game is such a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bump this thread with some news that probably everyone already knows: MTSU beat Tennessee Tech 44-0 last Thursday night. That's the good news. The bad news is that it was only 3-0 at the half. The offense still needs some work, but that second half was sure electrifying! Go Blue Raiders!

I just wanted to bump this thread with some news that probably everyone already knows: MTSU beat Tennessee Tech 44-0 last Thursday night. That's the good news. The bad news is that it was only 3-0 at the half. The offense still needs some work, but that second half was sure electrifying! Go Blue Raiders!

Was the game at MTSU? What was the attendance? Who do they play next?

As many of you are probably aware, MTSU lost to Oklahoma 59-0 yesterday. While the points disparity is staggering, I'm still quite optimistic about the remainder of our season. So far we certainly have had our problems offensively, but we've also beaten the teams we absolutely needed to beat. As cool as it is to play a team as good as Oklahoma, it is far better that we go out and beat North Texas on Saturday. That would take us to 2-0 in conference play. Right now winning the Sun Belt Conference should be the target for our season.

I've marched there for Contest of Champions marching invitational, and it's a VERY nice stadium, and it's a shame more people don't go to MTSU games.

So have I. I used to march for the Muhlenberg North Stars from Greenville, KY. We still hold the record for higheset final placing of a Class A band at the tournament I think. We finished thrid overall and beat powerhouse McGavock High School that year. Getting beat by John overton and Lafayette high School from Lexington, KY.

The Blue Raiders fell to Louisville 44-17 on Friday night at LP field. While that score may not look impressive, it was a very exciting game to be on hand for, especially during the first quarter in which MTSU was actually leading for much of the time. Our 88-yard kickoff return for a touchdown was incredible to behold, and it was clear that our boys didn't give up all night.

The night also recorded an attendance of over 32,000, though I'm disappointed that more Blue Raider fans didn't show up for the game. From where I was sitting there definitely appeared to be more red than blue in the crowd. I'm also disappointed that so many fans left at the end of the third quarter. It was down-right embarrassing that so many of the fans behaved that way.

MTSU is a very, very hard sell in this area. They just aren't on anyones radar when it comes to sports. Almost like Western Kentucky University, they are popular around Bowling Green, but everywhere else it's all UK.

Edited by Lexy

^ Boy are you right about MT's popularity around here. That could change if we start having winning seasons and especially if we move up to a higher level of play where we're regularly beating BCS conference teams. I think some positive steps in that direction have been taken, particularly in hiring an athletic director and coaching staff who seem geared to take us in that direction. I think it's also been huge having 106.7 The Fan sign on to broadcast Blue Raider football. That could serve to boost the awareness of MTSU among Nashvillians.

MTSU is a very, very hard sell in this area. They just aren't on anyones radar when it comes to sports. Almost like Western Kentucky University, they are popular around Bowling Green, but everywhere else it's all UK.

I think that's the bad thing about MTSU is that not even the majority of Murfreesboro consider themselves fans of MTSU. I think most people like myself hope that they are successful, but I'd rather stay home and watch UT on the TV than go to an MTSU game.

I think winning will help, but look at how Louisville got so successful: they played on Wednesday and Thursday nights. If MTSU would play on weeknights, they would get the students to the games who normally go home for weekends. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't MTSU's undergrad student body alone almost fill the stadium? You get an exciting atmosphere full of college studnents, and you'll get the community interested.

I also hate MTSU's conference. Who cares about Louisiana-? and UNT? I don'tknow how to solve that problem. If you move up to, say, conference USA, you're going to get killed over the next several years. And to move down would mean back to I-AA, and I don't think the University wants to do that.

So far our only two true home games were held on Thursday nights. Even the "home game" held at LP field was on a Friday. I'm pretty sure this was done for just the reasons you mentioned. In answer to your question about the student body filling the stadium, I believe the student body would fill the stadium about two-thirds of the way if every student attended.

In regards to the conference, I agree, but we had to start the I-A era somewhere. Personally I'd love to see us get to the point where we're regularly winning the Sun Belt Conference and beating BCS conference opponents. At that point I think we should join the Big East. They've got room for us, and they're a BCS conference.

So far our only two true home games were held on Thursday nights. Even the "home game" held at LP field was on a Friday. I'm pretty sure this was done for just the reasons you mentioned. In answer to your question about the student body filling the stadium, I believe the student body would fill the stadium about two-thirds of the way if every student attended.

In regards to the conference, I agree, but we had to start the I-A era somewhere. Personally I'd love to see us get to the point where we're regularly winning the Sun Belt Conference and beating BCS conference opponents. At that point I think we should join the Big East. They've got room for us, and they're a BCS conference.

So.....MTSU wins again. This is shaping up to be a really good season.

It sure has been a great season so far. I really think this is a football program that's on the right track. So often when you hear Coach Stock talk he's talking about taking MTSU to the top, and I think that he and the rest of the coaching staff really have that goal in mind. They're not just looking to be Sun Belt Conference champion every year, they're looking to play with the best teams in college football. I don't think we could have asked for a better group of coaches.