Crocodile Hunter

Noneck_08

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, I hadn't heard this yet. While I have never seen him in person, I have been to Australia Zoo in Sydney, which is an amazing place he developed. Truely one of the best animal reserves I have been to in my life.

In a very sad irony, and what I imagine is not a well known fact outside Australia, his original catch phrase was not "crikey," it was actually in fact "F*** me dead." When attending Macquarie University, we had a speaker come that worked with Steve before he became "The Crocodile Hunter" who brought some indigenous animals to show off. Part of his introduction was a spat on Irwin's earlier years. His mainly emphasized joke was about the catch phrase needing to be changed for television. It became a saying I used quite often until moving back to the states.

You will be missed. That article really helps do him justice as a person, rather than an icon.

I hate this happened, he was a very entertaining and informative person. However, given his track record I'm not completely surprised.

He will be missed.. :cry:

it was actually a freak accident according to various reports i've read. he was diving and startled a stingray that was hidden under some sand on the ocean floor. when it was startled, it flung its stinger upward and it caught steve in the chest. supposedly, it's only like the 3rd stingray death that austrailia has on record.

it was actually a freak accident according to various reports i've read. he was diving and startled a stingray that was hidden under some sand on the ocean floor. when it was startled, it flung its stinger upward and it caught steve in the chest. supposedly, it's only like the 3rd stingray death that austrailia has on record.

Yeah most people don't ever die from stingrays apparently. The stingray's barb hit him in the chest and his ribs caused it to go right to the heart.

I have a feeling Paris will become this generation's Marilyn Monroe of sorts, the glamor girl who goes way before her time. But I like Paris so I don't want to see that happen either.

I actually thought it was a joke this morning when I heard it on the radio AT WORK. But it ran again at the next half hour and I couldn't believe it either. He did seem invincible if he were to die I imagined eaten by something, not killed by a peaceful, graceful sea creature.

I have a feeling Paris will become this generation's Marilyn Monroe of sorts, the glamor girl who goes way before her time. But I like Paris so I don't want to see that happen either.

I actually thought it was a joke this morning when I heard it on the radio AT WORK. But it ran again at the next half hour and I couldn't believe it either. He did seem invincible if he were to die I imagined eaten by something, not killed by a peaceful, graceful sea creature.

i won't be overly sad if paris hilton were to die... i certainly won't miss her. steve irwin is a serious contributor to society and wildlife conservation, while paris hilton has contributed nothing except a sleazy role model for young girls.

i won't be overly sad if paris hilton were to die... i certainly won't miss her. steve irwin is a serious contributor to society and wildlife conservation, while paris hilton has contributed nothing except a sleazy role model for young girls.

Oh come on... she inspired a South Park episode!

In a bigger picture, it's a shame someone interesting and enthusiastic like Steve Irwin dies, while idiots like Tom Cruise and Paris Hilton still live....

To be fair... Steve Irwin had it coming to him. He was great, but everyone who knows of him knows how much danger he was in on a regular basis.

To be fair... Steve Irwin had it coming to him. He was great, but everyone who knows of him knows how much danger he was in on a regular basis.

he might've been a little whacky, but he's never put himself in a situation he couldn't handle. and he was killed in a freak occurrence, by a defense mechanism, not attacked (which is what the crocs do all the time).

he might've been a little whacky, but he's never put himself in a situation he couldn't handle. and he was killed in a freak occurrence, by a defense mechanism, not attacked (which is what the crocs do all the time).

I agree, it wasn't like he was putting himself in harm's way when he died. It's something in nature that happens which is only meant to deter predators, not necessarily kill them. Sorta like porcupines in a way, you don't hear of too many people actually being attacked by them, but it is possible to be killed by one if you startle it.

I spoke to my friend currently living in Australia just a little while ago and she said she gets the impression that the general public in Australia actually disliked Steve Irwin because he put a stereotypical image on Australia. I got the same impression while living there too. However, this is really a false projection because 'Crocodile Dundee' did that well in advance for him. I guess the popularity of Irwin is what caused that blame to be projected on him. She said however that people there now seem to appreciate him much more now that they are getting the chance to look back at his life and realize what he has done both for their wildlife conservation and their tourism industry.

This can be said about nearly every famous person in this world. Most aren't appreciated until death. I mean, look at Irwin, how many times was he ever brought up on UP over the years in a positive way? It's a sad fact, but I'm glad he was able to be doing the thing that he loved the most when he died.

But this is what makes it so ironic. Stingrays aren't agressive animals and hardly anyone ever dies from them. I imagine there are a number of divers who have swam by a stingray without thinking much about it.

I was pretty shocked when I first heard. I feel for his family, but as bad and terrible as this sounds...he probably had it coming. He was always tempting fate. I do hope he's remembered for his efforts in trying to educate people on the scariest and least understood creatures on the earth, though.

RIP Steve Irwin.

Archived