Motor Scooters

Mith242

Would you consider owning a scooter?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider owning a motor scooter?

• Yes
    • No

This is more of a coffeeshop type topic but I think we'd get more responses over here and I also have some NWA related news to throw in as well. Perhaps later Matt might move the topic if he thinks it would be better. Of course the main factor that has made more people think about it is the raising costs of gas. While gas has recently been going down I still doubt it will keep dropping. And you never know when another event will cause gas prices to skyrocket again. I know Little Rock got a Vespa dealership not too long ago. We actually have a dealership here in fayetteville that sells the only electric motor scooters in the state. But it looks like it will be closing soon. The owner apparently didn't know he had to pay extra insurance because he sells scooters that go above 15mph. But he hopes to have it reopened next year. He has an electric charging station at his shop and was also working on getting some set up at Arsaga's the Library and the Mall. I don't own one but I have considered it. In some ways it could be convenient to have one while just doing errands and such around the city. As long as you don't buy some of the bigger models you don't even need a special license for them either. Anyway just curious what you guys thought about them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't have one, since I have to drive on the interstate each day.

I wonder why Vespa hasn't opened a dealership up here. Little Rock has had one for a few years, it's about time we got one.

Yeah that would be a problem for a lot of people. But I think one could still come in handy when you're just driving around your city. I admit though that one of the things holding me back is the thought of possibly just getting a bicycle instead. The exercise would be good for me. But for the moment I'm not exactly thrilled thinking about driving along some of our roads though. It would also be hard for me to spend that much money on one when I could spend it on more photography equipment. :lol:

This is more of a coffeeshop type topic but I think we'd get more responses over here and I also have some NWA related news to throw in as well. Perhaps later Matt might move the topic if he thinks it would be better. Of course the main factor that has made more people think about it is the raising costs of gas. While gas has recently been going down I still doubt it will keep dropping. And you never know when another event will cause gas prices to skyrocket again. I know Little Rock got a Vespa dealership not too long ago. We actually have a dealership here in fayetteville that sells the only electric motor scooters in the state. But it looks like it will be closing soon. The owner apparently didn't know he had to pay extra insurance because he sells scooters that go above 15mph. But he hopes to have it reopened next year. He has an electric charging station at his shop and was also working on getting some set up at Arsaga's the Library and the Mall. I don't own one but I have considered it. In some ways it could be convenient to have one while just doing errands and such around the city. As long as you don't buy some of the bigger models you don't even need a special license for them either. Anyway just curious what you guys thought about them.

I have owned many scooters. I love them and find them very practical. I ride motorcycles regularly but a nice little scooter is super convenient. I think more people shold own them than they do. I don't really trust the electric ones, however--the batteries don't last that long. But maybe they are a lot better now!

I have owned many scooters. I love them and find them very practical. I ride motorcycles regularly but a nice little scooter is super convenient. I think more people shold own them than they do. I don't really trust the electric ones, however--the batteries don't last that long. But maybe they are a lot better now!

I guess I'm wondering if I would get enough use out of it just riding around Fayetteville to justify spending the money on it. But like I said earlier I think I'd probably be more tempted to spend the money on camera equipment. I guess I'm also wondering if I should look more into a motor scooter or a bicycle. I'm sure at time a motor scooter would be nice to have compared to a bike but at the same time it's obviously a lot more money also.

I can't see myself on a scooter, even before I had a family.

Something about this thread reminds me of "Sasha" from Scrubs...

Someone could make a lot of money by opening a Land Rover/Jaguar and'or Audi/Porsche dealership in NWA. My wife has an Audi and we were looking up dealers in Arkansas and apparently the only one is Parker in west LR. The only Land Rover/Jag dealer is in LR as well. That's a goldmine for someone.

Someone could make a lot of money by opening a Land Rover/Jaguar and'or Audi/Porsche dealership in NWA. My wife has an Audi and we were looking up dealers in Arkansas and apparently the only one is Parker in west LR. The only Land Rover/Jag dealer is in LR as well. That's a goldmine for someone.

To be honest I hadn't exactly seen myself that way either. But hey I think they can be very useful and save a lot of people money on gas. I certainly hope more people do use them. That's less gas being used so less demand and hopefully lower prices as well. Fayetteville seems like it could be a scooter town too. Anyway I agree with you and Matt on the dearlerships. With as many big businesses up here you'd think someone would have thought to open either one of those dealerships. I'm also a little surprised that Vespa hasn't gotten a dealership up here as well as Matt said. But I guess I can see that they probably focus on larger market and we probably just aren't big enough for them yet. But I do think Fayetteville could be a good market for them.

I've always thought about that too for the longest time-- no Land Rover/Jaguar dealership in NWA. Also, there's no Infiniti dealer either (unless one was built recently?). I hadn't thought about Audi...

About scooters-- even around Fayetteville, I'd still be leery. Perhaps only getting around downtown and campus, but even on steep hills I wonder if they can handle adequately...

I've always thought about that too for the longest time-- no Land Rover/Jaguar dealership in NWA. Also, there's no Infiniti dealer either (unless one was built recently?). I hadn't thought about Audi...

About scooters-- even around Fayetteville, I'd still be leery. Perhaps only getting around downtown and campus, but even on steep hills I wonder if they can handle adequately...

Better than bicycles I would think. :lol: I suppose that's another con for a bike. But in a lot of places I can get around pretty well without hitting some of the steeper grades. I admit I haven't thought about any motor scooters having problems with the hills. But I've seen quite a few around and don't recall seeing any of them having any problems. Maybe they also avoid some of the steeper roads and take a more roundabout way. Just like I do anytime we have winter precip.

Can we add mini cooper to that list? What dealers around here try to sell used ones for is insane. The Caddillac Dealer was asking $27K for a 2005 model that had 20K miles on it and cost only $22K new! The only reason they can get away with that is nearest dealer is in OK city or St. Louis.

I wonder if Segways will ever come into mainstream society. The other day, I saw where Russellville is the only city in Arkansas to have a segway dealership.

I thought at first maybe they would but it seems to me that all the hype has died off. I used to see a few around here in Fayetteville but not anymore.

Is there really a market for those things in either NWA or Little Rock? I'd guess probably NWA if you just had to go around one city, but not for people who have to use the freeway. Does Little Rock have enough people living in and around the city center to actually use one of those?

I see people here driving things like this from time to time and it makes me laugh. Yamaha's V Star base model can be bought for less than $6,000... and even cheaper used. Above and beyond the price, they supposedly get good gas mileage.

Is there really a market for those things in either NWA or Little Rock? I'd guess probably NWA if you just had to go around one city, but not for people who have to use the freeway. Does Little Rock have enough people living in and around the city center to actually use one of those?

I see people here driving things like this from time to time and it makes me laugh. Yamaha's V Star base model can be bought for less than $6,000... and even cheaper used. Above and beyond the price, they supposedly get good gas mileage.

Vespa does have a dealership in Little Rock. I don't know how well it does though. I've seen some decent ones closer to $1,000. There are a number of them around Fayetteville, it probably helps that it's a college town. But since so many people live in other cities than where they work I suppose that would hinder things. So many people rely on I-540 to get around to work and such. As developments start opening more in Rogers I've wondered if more people might have more to do just in Rogers and might find one convenient. I think for people in Fayetteville they can be a convenience too.

As developments start opening more in Rogers I've wondered if more people might have more to do just in Rogers and might find one convenient. I think for people in Fayetteville they can be a convenience too.

I doubt it. Rogers is typically a conservative city, and most conservatives prefer their automobiles. Especially the typicall suburban families that drive the SUV's all through town.

I doubt it. Rogers is typically a conservative city, and most conservatives prefer their automobiles. Especially the typicall suburban families that drive the SUV's all through town.

I suppose you have a point. Although I think we miht eventually start seeing fewer SUVs. Perhaps if we had another big jump in gas prices more people might at least consider a scooter.

I suppose you have a point. Although I think we miht eventually start seeing fewer SUVs. Perhaps if we had another big jump in gas prices more people might at least consider a scooter.

Gas has been going down significantly. I also heard that they found a really big reserve in the gulf today. Not sure how big, but the way CNN was describing it, it sounded like a milestone.

Gas has been going down significantly. I also heard that they found a really big reserve in the gulf today. Not sure how big, but the way CNN was describing it, it sounded like a milestone.

Yeah but it that oil won't even reach the market for at least three years. That and it's still not going to be anywhere big enough to keep the US from being so dependant on foreign oil. That and we're only one disaster or Middle Eastern conflict away that would drive prices right back up again.

Yeah but it that oil won't even reach the market for at least three years. That and it's still not going to be anywhere big enough to keep the US from being so dependant on foreign oil. That and we're only one disaster or Middle Eastern conflict away that would drive prices right back up again.

I'm just saying this is going to bring down prices. I know were going to run out of oil sometime in our lifetime. I wish we could perfect a different source of energy soon, so that way we still have oil incase we need it.

I'm just saying this is going to bring down prices. I know were going to run out of oil sometime in our lifetime. I wish we could perfect a different source of energy soon, so that way we still have oil incase we need it.

Yeah but who knows what oil prices will be in three years when this oil finally becomes avaible to the public. :D Some are worried that this new source of oil will end up setting back efforts to get the US looking more into cutting back on gas and exploring other sources of energy.

Back to the related tangent, NWA doesn't have a Lexus dealer either. I don't think a day goes by without me seeing three or four different brand new Lexi (Lexuses ?) from the Tulsa dealership.

What dealerships DO we have and what are we missing (other than the Ferrari, Lotus type places, there isn't much of a need for those ;)?

Have:

Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge of course (and all their ilk).

Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Hummer, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagon, Kia, Scion, Hyundai, and maybe a few other Japanese offshoots or Korean multinationals.

Missing: Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, any others?

Archived