Perez Interview

LItoCT

Hi, I have an interview with Mayor Perez in October for Trinity's newspaper and I was hoping I might get some suggestions for questions on this board. The interview is generally concerning college/city relations but I suppose we could ask about anything regarding the city, thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I have an interview with Mayor Perez in October for Trinity's newspaper and I was hoping I might get some suggestions for questions on this board. The interview is generally concerning college/city relations but I suppose we could ask about anything regarding the city, thanks for any suggestions.

Ask him about preserving old buildings, which are what Hartford keeps losing..... mostly for parking lots or ugly chain stores....

I had an interview with Mayor Perez about a year ago when I was still in high school.

Ask him about the business enviorment in Hartford. Its slowly improving with Travelers bringing new jobs, AETNA moving jobs to Hartford and GlobeOp opening a downtown office but lets not forget Hartford is losing WFSB and ING, has lost some MetLife jobs and has lost MassMutual...all for differant reasons (location, mergers, unions, etc.) but nevertheless Hartford needs to retain its jobs and add more so that people will actually be able to live downtown and walk to work

Ask him if is aware that his pro-union acts are hurting the reputation of the city as a business friendly place in general and the Convention Center in particular.

And why he supports a "labor peace agreement" that is anti-business and runs counter to federal business/union guidelines.

These are tough questions, I will understand if you chicken out from asking them.

I had an interview with Mayor Perez about a year ago when I was still in high school.

Ask him about the business enviorment in Hartford. Its slowly improving with Travelers bringing new jobs, AETNA moving jobs to Hartford and GlobeOp opening a downtown office but lets not forget Hartford is losing WFSB and ING, has lost some MetLife jobs and has lost MassMutual...all for differant reasons (location, mergers, unions, etc.) but nevertheless Hartford needs to retain its jobs and add more so that people will actually be able to live downtown and walk to work

More specifically, the words on the street are that WFSB and ING are leaving because they found the mayor hard to work with. Also, one of the developers in the city Fingold who

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions...my interview was today and i figured I would share the uncut version of it.

I didn't use many (or any?) of these suggestions because they wouldn't be of interest to Trinity students and because I was hoping to go easy on the guy to get a more hard-hitting interview next semester possibly. Anyway, towards the end we start talking about hockey and front street and such. Enjoy.

TRIPOD: I understand you were a Trinity student, correct?

PEREZ: I was an IDP student which is not the traditional student, I went to school when I was 29 and worked at it for about 7 years, so I wasn

Wow, I can't believe that a mayor is that dumb.

Even if Front Street were one of the worst projects in the world, he should project a postive outlook. If I were the developer of the site and heard the mayor talk like that, I'd pull out of the project.

Wow, I can't believe that a mayor is that dumb.

Even if Front Street were one of the worst projects in the world, he should project a postive outlook. If I were the developer of the site and heard the mayor talk like that, I'd pull out of the project.

I dont like the fact that Perez tries to minimize the truth when it comeds to Hartford being dangerious. it just makes him seem out of touch with the reality.

I like the fact he seemed very interested in the bringing the NHL back... Although I am saddened by the way the mayor sees Front Street, I too like the development that has gone on around the civic center, and see that as a draw that can be bigger than Front Street...

Perez doesn't like Front Street because it is a state project.

Ditto for the Marriott & Convention Center.

CCEDA, the agency in charge of much of the development, was created by the state because the city couldn't be trusted to redevelop large scale projects.

They are right. What downtown projects has the Mayor done? We have acres of surface parking waiting to be developed. Where is the mayor?

If it weren't for the state, we wouldn't have anything.

Can any city be trusted to redevelop large scale projects on its own? Even New York City never undertook its greatest projects either from a financial or planning standpoint - it was all done by the authoritys or private developers (or Robert Moses).

I dont like the fact that Perez tries to minimize the truth when it comeds to Hartford being dangerious. it just makes him seem out of touch with the reality.

Whose reality are we talking about? Hartford is no heaven, but it's far safer than you think. Here is a study showing where Hartford stands versus rest of the cities in the US.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit06pop.htm#25

There are things about Perez that I disagree with, but not about Front Street. After all the city has very little input about Convention Center/Front Street other than put up funds and subsidies, and lots of them to reneging developers. Some of my friends who work in the State building admitted Convention Center/Front Street is a poorly planned project. I pretty much think Front Street is at best a place for conventioneers and therefore it actually take away from rest of the city, and I doubt it will draw suburbanites into the city. However, I still hope the Science Center will add significantly to the city. I think he is right the focus of the city is to get 3 - 5000 people living in downtown. I personally think it should be at least 5000 but hopefully more. If you think about it he fought and won against the proposed homeless shelter near the park. That in itself put city on the right track for years to come.

Archived