The Trust - 139 South Tryon

UptownUptown

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll visit friends out of town on race week, like I do :). I'm assuming their resources for travel are even better than mine.

Yeah, really no different than what people who live on 5th Ave in NYC do when the Puerto Rican day parade, St. Patrick's Day parade (or any parade for that matter) takes place - get out of town for the weekend to avoid the noise and traffic!! (of course, unless you are a participant)

I'm curious to see how the people living there appreciate Speed Street and all of the turkey legs and blooming onions being cooked right below their tinted windows!!

Four whole days of Racin' fun! And yes I am a NASCAR fan too! :shades:

I guess with the good, you gotta take the not so good...

We just moved to 230 South Tryon and while I have no interest whatsoever in Nascar, I welcome Speed Street as well as about any outdoor festival. To me that activity is part of what is fun about living in that environment.

I don't live downtown, but I'd have to think that anyone moving there (esp. Tryon) would be looking forward to any sort of street festivals. I mean, I would think that would be part of the experience they are moving for. Just a thought....

It has already been discussed here about how this building doesn't get much direct sunlight...just thought I would share this pic I took recently that shows that. The buildings across the street get a lot of direct sunlight...but Trust's is blocked most of the day by surrounding towers. I hope they have a good heating system.

trust.jpg

Bear in mind that a lot of the people buying these condos work 60+ hours per week and are essentially purchasing a crash-pad to recuperate after work. I know several people who are renting at high prices in or near uptown, but rarely see their homes in daylight. I'm sure that the target market for this project in particular is highly-paid, overworked BoA and Wachovia employees who want to be able to walk five minutes from their desk to their bed. In that respect, it beats out TradeMark and Avenue... if only by a few blocks.

Also, there's the fact that only a few units are available. That makes this project possibly the most exclusive residential project in the city (far more so than the gated subdivisions), and we know how much that can factor into buying decisions.

This building still doesn't make much sense to me. I think Fifth and Poplar, Trademark, or Avenue would be more appealing - you can look out your window and see some trees AND towers. Plus have a balcony.

They will have large balconies, either 20' or 30' x 10'. These will be on the northwest corner of the building and because the adjacent building on the corner of Trade and Tryon is stepped back, they have a clear view straight down Tryon (north). Not that is the greatest view from a condo downtown, but it isn't as hemmed in as suspected nor do they lack balconies. There will also be similar balconies on the northeast corner of the building but the views there are severly lacking. They won't have lots of sunlight...

Bear in mind that a lot of the people buying these condos work 60+ hours per week and are essentially purchasing a crash-pad to recuperate after work. I know several people who are renting at high prices in or near uptown, but rarely see their homes in daylight. I'm sure that the target market for this project in particular is highly-paid, overworked BoA and Wachovia employees who want to be able to walk five minutes from their desk to their bed. In that respect, it beats out TradeMark and Avenue... if only by a few blocks.

Also, there's the fact that only a few units are available. That makes this project possibly the most exclusive residential project in the city (far more so than the gated subdivisions), and we know how much that can factor into buying decisions.

You can do a lot of renting for a million+ bucks. If this is the real purpose of this building, i.e. a dormitory for people who have sold their soul to the corporate devils, then it might just be better to turn it into a Capsule Hotel like what one finds in Tokyo which is a city full of salarymen such as that. The sunlight doesn't matter because they never see any anyway, They could even put a balcony on top with no rail for those who have had enough and are looking for a quick way out.

If I were spending that much money on an uptown condo I would get one way up on a high floor at a 210 Trade, Trademark, Vue, or Avenue.

Maybe that's just me.

I know a family with kids buying at The Trust (which is why I've been inside). They don't want any of the high-rises you mentioned because they feel that it will primarily be a younger crowd and they want something more, for lack of a better word, "home" feeling for their family than a big glass condo tower. They have 3 kids ranging from 3 - 11. Also at $400 - $500 / foot this project is actually priced less than the big penthouse units at those projects and is right in line with Ratliffe, 230 South Tryon, and other complexes in center city that are of this quality. They like the fact that the rooftop gardens and the basement wine room and dining area will be used by only 8 sets of condo residents rather than hundreds. It really is just a different type of living than one would get in a tower -- neither of which is better, just different for different folks. Nice that downtown is now getting residential options.

• 2 months later...

Are they keeping the same elevators? I would guess that if they were replacing them, that they would have a great opportunity to remove the curtain wall on the blank side and have a glass backed elevator facing the Square. I think it would be great to have the natural light and also the views of the Square from the common areas.

I have always liked that concrete wall, specifically the ribbed texture of the wall and its rounded form on the sides. architecturally speaking there really isnt anything else like it in the city. Since this wall faces an alley...not a street I am fine with it not have street level retail, windows, etc.

1) remember the decision regarding the wall isn't up to the developer, but with the historic district commission. whether it could be used later for artwork, hmmmm, like that but i doubt it.

2) construction update: they have fully gutted the building and are currently working with the owners to finalize their floor plans. some work to the overall building will start very soon, but much of the work will begin in a month or two. they will be complete by end of year or early January. this project gets to skip much of what takes so long, foundation, framing, etc. This is really just an upfit job.

3) they are replacing the actual elevators but they are going in exisiting shafts.

I have always liked that concrete wall, specifically the ribbed texture of the wall and its rounded form on the sides. architecturally speaking there really isnt anything else like it in the city. Since this wall faces an alley...not a street I am fine with it not have street level retail, windows, etc.

I agree, the architectural signature of the building is tied up in that wall. Poking windows into it would make the whole structure a lot less distinctive and, IMO, rather ugly.

I like the idea of using it as a canvas, though. Maybe they could put some sort of interactive/changing art on it, like the Duke building's neon lights.

Simply using that area as an outdoor dining site, tables and umbrellas for visual attraction would make a world of difference.

I have seen the area used before with a mamoth barbque trailer parked in that area.

make it a dining alcove!

Archived