The Trust - 139 South Tryon

UptownUptown

^ You are right on the money on that one. The building will have concierge. If they use a third-party service, this will cost them around $40K per year. That alone puts the cost of association fees for 8 units at a very high level. And that won't even include things like building maintenance, insurance, etc.

I heard through the grapevine that the bottom floor would be a restaurant/bar. The developers already own the buildings where the salon is, so I wouldn't expect them to move. I'm not sure that if I paid $3M to live there I'd want to deal with the noise from a restaurant still open at 2 a.m. on a Friday night.

I'm not trying to be negative, but just thinking realistically. Add to that the fact none of the units have balconies or terraces, and I really can't figure out what kind of market they're going after. It's one thing to have access to a collective rooftop terrace, it's completely another to have the ability to open a door from your 7,000 square foot condo on to a private outdoor space.

I was lucky enough to represent a client in the purchase of one of the exclusive units. They will have terraces in each unit along with the rooftop terrace. Yes, large terraces with enough room to sit out and enjoy your view of Tryon Street. Not to mention the fact that those enormous windows can spin on a central fulcrum to open completely... all of them. Each owner gets time with a designer to layout the floorplan. I saw a peek at my clients plan a few weeks back .....man, one of the nicest units to date I have seen. I sure would rather live with 8 other owners in an exclusive project like this than pay a million to live in a project with 400 hundred or so others who bought into the project starting in the low $200K. Love the project..... Props to Jim.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the architectural signature of the building is tied up in that wall. Poking windows into it would make the whole structure a lot less distinctive and, IMO, rather ugly.

I like the idea of using it as a canvas, though. Maybe they could put some sort of interactive/changing art on it, like the Duke building's neon lights.

Yuck..... Those lights you mentioned are so 80's and not attractive. As our city is taking on more of the arts I'm sure they can come up with something better than a light bright, bowling alley neon light show. I'd like to see it left alone to preserve the history and architecture of the building.

I have friends buying there, full floor. They have so much creative freedom due to the size of the space...I'm actually getting to help some which is great. The developer is really letting everyone completely customize. I believe it will truly be a one-of-a-kind building in Charlotte. With land prices what they are, you'll never see another project this small and this custom in this kind of location.

The restaurant/lounge in the first two floors should be amazing also. They'll keep and use the mezzanine and open two story entrance, lounge on the second level with the rounded open staircases...my wallet already hurts.

In the dozen or so spots behind the building....that's why the building only has 8 units :) Everyone else was making it way to complicated. Trying to find parking decks to lease spaces, strucuturally altering the basement to accomodate parking, etc. The obvious answer was to reduce the need for parking, not find extra parking.

In the dozen or so spots behind the building....that's why the building only has 8 units :) Everyone else was making it way to complicated. Trying to find parking decks to lease spaces, strucuturally altering the basement to accomodate parking, etc. The obvious answer was to reduce the need for parking, not find extra parking.

The lot in the back will be for residents and there will be available parking in a nearby deck as well if residents need it.

• 3 months later...

After months of walking by this building and seeing nothing, this morning the windows and doors are wide open, and there are construction workers buzzing everywhere. I don't know if this is news, maybe they've been working inside all along, but I thought I'd report it anyway.

The demo on the building has been done for a while now. The interior upfit has been waiting for the custom plans (every buyer gets to completely customize their unit) to then get permits. I would think, since the work is primarily interior, that it will be done relatively quickly. The people I know buying there are supposed to be closing in December or January.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The restaurant occupying the ground floor (and I assume mezzanine) space will be Chima Steakhouse. They are a upper-end "Brazilian Steakhouse", I suppose somewhat similar to Brazas.

http://www.chima.cc

The seem to be a relatively small chain. So far it seems besides their original Ft. Lauderdale location, they've opened in Tysons Corner (D.C.), Atlanta, and I think Philly.

The restaurant occupying the ground floor (and I assume mezzanine) space will be Chima Steakhouse. They are a upper-end "Brazilian Steakhouse", I suppose somewhat similar to Brazas.

The seem to be a relatively small chain. So far it seems besides their original Ft. Lauderdale location, they've opened in Tysons Corner (D.C.), Atlanta, and I think Philly.

This place is phenomenal. I'm more than excited its coming to Charlotte, definitely not your average steakhouse.

That is great news. I'm sort of resigned to the notion that most of our street retail will be restaurants for the next little while, but I was sort of hoping that that great spot would be a retail store, especially so close to the Square. However, if it is going to be a restaurant, this seems like an excellent choice, and something that will be an experience worthy of attracting people uptown to go.

It is great to see this building come alive again. I know they have cleared out some of the stuff by the sidewalk so I know things are moving forward.

In addition to the restaurant space the mezzanine level was supposed to be a lounge (associated and part of the restaurant), I hope that is still the case. I've loved HOM since it opened, but another option or two of laid-back lounges downtown that aren't packed, small, restaurant bars or other typical bars downtown would be great.

The folks at The Trust are erecting what appears to be the beginnings a steel roof over the parking area behind the building. All the renderings I have seen are from the Tryon side of the building and don't show this side of the project.

Any info out there on how the covered parking area will look? Will there be anything on top of the parking area?

It would be great to have the wider sidewalk and then possibly some doors into the restaurant or building from that side.
Agreed. I walked by this morning and the lane on 4th next to the building could be narrowed up a little to create a wider sidewalk. The lane does not continue through the intersection at Tryon and although CATS uses it to pick up and drop off passengers, it appears that it could be more narrow and still accomodate a bus.

• 3 months later...

Just walked by the Trust -- the first floor windows are plastered with Coming Soon signs for this place now. I'm really excited about this one -- Charlotte needs an nice Brazilian steakhouse. I've never been to Brazas, but I've heard mixed reviews for the food and heard that the atmosphere wasn't that great.

I definitely plan on checking out the open house!

I'm excited for Chima as well. I have been to Brazzas and although I loved the idea of a server continiously coming around to give you more steak I left there thinking I probably wouldn't go back. I'm positive Chima will be much more upscale and I'm sure it will contribute to the uptown restaurants.

I definitely plan on checking out the open house!

I'm excited for Chima as well. I have been to Brazzas and although I loved the idea of a server continiously coming around to give you more steak I left there thinking I probably wouldn't go back. I'm positive Chima will be much more upscale and I'm sure it will contribute to the uptown restaurants.

Quick tangent. Brazzas is okay, but although the atmosphere is kind of dead. The Brazilian server is a pretty cool guy though.

I checked it out today. Very cool, I would recommend it. I really like the way they did the "balcony" like things and the kitchen is awesome

I'm jealous. Man, wished you could have gotten some pics for us. Hopefully, they will update their site so we can get a glimpse.

Archived