The Trust - 139 South Tryon

UptownUptown

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went today....wasn't really my style....the base condo was definitely nice, though it did have the feeling of re-used space. The interior designs seemed like they were shooting for MTV's Cribs.

Still, the ticket proceeds all go to a great charity, and it's always fun to see different ideas (both from the developer and the designers) so it is worth a visit.

With only one condo left unsold, this seems to be an illustration of Charlotte's high end insulation from what is by all unoffficial measures a shallow nationwide recession.

I think there will be massive demand for upscale condos with tons of sq ft in the future. The Vue is going to be a nice building, but it is expensive for the sq ft you get. There are only a handful of condos uptown from which if you were money wasn't an option, you wouldn

^ I agree and The Trust seems to be positioned just below One Charlotte's threshold which proved to be too rich for Charlotte's blood during these shaky financial times.

It's also easier to find 8 high-end buyers rather than 99 of them!

This building will likely be the last of its kind in this location. This land is so valuable I doubt you'll see many other projects this small 1 block from the Square. My guess is that over time it will become a place with a waiting list for that rare unit that ever hits the market.

I do like these micro-scale projects where only a dozen or so buyers are needed to make it happen and some how bring with it a world of side benefits. The Trust not only saves a building that seemed doomed to obsolescence, but has brought us a restaurant that I can easily imagine mixing into our line up. If Donnelly continues this trend of saving old buildings and bringing something new and interesting to the area, then we are in great shape. (I bet he'd figure out how to do wonders with the Coddington/Polk building if he'd been active here at the time that was sold).

I think that a very interesting aspect of this project is that each unit was completely custom. I'm sure some of the designers went very over the top, a la Cribs, but others probably went a different route. That is beauty of individually designed places. Frankly, this seems to be a concept that is better suited to the tastes of million-dollar condo buyers than what we saw with One Charlotte. Not only is the location significantly better, but they can actually design it to their liking.

It's also easier to find 8 high-end buyers rather than 99 of them!

This building will likely be the last of its kind in this location. This land is so valuable I doubt you'll see many other projects this small 1 block from the Square. My guess is that over time it will become a place with a waiting list for that rare unit that ever hits the market.

Indeed. A Trust unit going for sale in the future will probably be jumped on very quickly.

This project has been over shadowed by the more dazzling efforts Uptown. But I think the Trust is one of the most exciting new developments. Talk about living in the center city! This would be about as close to the Square as anyone could possibly live. A very very exciting location to call home for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Chima has a new website at http://www.chimasteakhouse.com/.

The Charlotte location says Coming Soon (no date given) and has a couple of interior renderings that I found interesting.

8_129__full_CharlotteInterna1.jpg8_130__full_CharlotteInterna3.jpg

I can't really tell much from these without some sort of exterior perspective, but it gives a sense of the flavor of the interior.

• 4 months later...

Chima is AMAZING. There's one in Tyson's Corner, VA...been there many, many times. Interior is beautiful...white furniture everywhere, real luxurious, water features and fountains...feels like you're in Miami.

And the food...spectacular. Servers walk around with skewers of all kinds of meat...and there's a large salad/sides/pasta/bread area that is all you can eat. A little pricey ($50 or more per person), but very worth it if you're looking for a classy night out.

Oh...and the bar at the one in Tyson's was a great happy hour spot. More of an older singles crowd, but I always had a blast there.

They had valet service and always had Lambo's and Ferarri's parked in the front...but that was probably more Tyson's Corner than anything. Still, I'd imagine the one in Charlotte will also think of itself as a high-end, classy sorta place.

Looking forward to checkin' it out next month!

• 1 year later...

Archived