Announced -- 12-story residence on Front!

Clobber

From the bizjournal (http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2006/09/04/story2.html?t=printable)

This is essentially the second mid-rise announced lately (after the Tennessee Brewery; I don't remember any other 10-15 story announcement since the Horizon, maybe there was an 8-story or so . . . someone should compile an updated list of mid and high-rises announced lately)

Excerpts:

Developer Martin Pantik is launching a $10 million, 12-story residential project that will bring a taste of modern urbanism to the Cotton Row Historic District.

The proposed building, a modern residential high-rise at 52 S. Front, is the vision of Pantik and Archimania.

. . .

Plans outline residential units on 11 floors, which could be divided into two units or sold as entire 3,000-square-foot floors. The ground floor will be limited to lobby space.

Pantik, originally from Slovakia, lived in London before moving to Memphis, and his ideas, along with those of Archimania principals Todd Walker and Barry Yoakum, reflect the use of modern structures alongside traditional buildings, which is commonplace throughout Europe.

"The location is great," Walker says. "And there's no new residential construction in the Downtown area with modern design."

Walker says the project puts an iconic building on Front Street in the Cotton Row Historic District.

The design plans were initially rejected by the Landmarks Commission, but the proposal was approved during a City Council committee meeting.

Nancy Jane Baker, manager of the Landmarks Commission, said in a July interview that although she is not a fan of modern architecture, the proposed building is "absolutely gorgeous."

Walker says the guidelines for the area essentially ask a developer to do a modern building.

. . .

Yoakum points to London, where developers build modern structures adjacent to buildings that are centuries old.

"London pulls off international architecture next to historic buildings," he says. "This is a little taste of that among the historic buildings in Memphis."

Pantik hopes to get the project off the ground as soon as possible, after he finalizes financing and marketing packages.

"The marketing is geared at pre-selling, not just to pre-sell, but to determine interest in the floor layout," he says. "We want to pre-sell to cater to the customers because we think we're going to have a lot of interest from buyers who want whole floors."

Divided floors would offer a river view condo with roughly 1,700 square feet, and a smaller city view unit on the east side of the building.

The west-facing front of the building will be all glass with balconies shaded from the south.

52 South Front will be a "very green building" with extensive use of sustainable materials, Yoakum says.

"Some people want to purchase a unit that's sustainable," he says. "We're seeing that in other markets like Nashville. Buyers are concerned with this."

Pricing for the units will vary based on floor location and upgrades, but Walker approximates purchase costs at around $300 per square foot.

With the possibility of only 11 owners, if all floors are purchased as entire units, Walker says regardless of the layout, the project will be exclusive and luxurious.

. . .

54640-400-0.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when we clamor for a "more European" streetscape in downtown Memphis, I guess this can be one of the results. Pantik, the developer, is right: you do see a lot of this in Europe. It's something new to get used to, but it's better than the vacant lot on that row of empty buildings.

What about parking?

oh im guessing they'll build an equally tall parking garage and put one car per garage, in the name of art of course :rofl:

oh and they'll have seagway rack... also 11 stories tall.

the reason i dont like this building is because

A. it has bathrooom colors.

B. in 20 years not many people will think this building looks good. where as a more traditional building can look good for decades.

C. 1 unit per floor? oooh okay. Im interested to know the if the Structural and Civil engineers are pissed at the architects especially when they have to design a glass steel frame construction building thinner than a pancake and 11 stories tall, not to mention earthqauke code that must be followed. but what i do i know?? im just a Civil engineer with a structural engineering emphasis...

oh im guessing they'll build an equally tall parking garage and put one car per garage, in the name of art of course :rofl:

B. in 20 years not many people will think this building looks good. where as a more traditional building can look good for decades.

C. 1 unit per floor? oooh okay. Im interested to know the if the Structural and Civil engineers are pissed at the architects especially when they have to design a glass steel frame construction building thinner than a pancake and 11 stories tall, not to mention earthqauke code that must be followed. but what i do i know?? im just a Civil engineer with a structural engineering emphasis...

The reason I like this building is because it mirrors Le Corbusier's work from the 1920's in Europe. Van der Rohe also designed quite a few buildings like this. This design is nothing new -- it's not faddish. It's been putting European cities on the map for the past 80 years. I hardly think this movement will die out in the next 20, especially considering it's just now beginning to catch on in the U.S. On the contrary, while I love the Trinity Tower's design (across from St. Mary's), it's design is not ground-breaking enough and is...well, common. This design is not something you're likely to find in Nashville, Atlanta, or Houston, unlike both One Beale and Trinity.

I think there was a German condo that has something like that (the one car per apt, storage of the car on a balcony next to the apt).

I really like this! I'd love to see this concept sprout up around downtown in the form of more condo schemes as well as little boutique hotels.

That would be awesome. I'm really beginning to be impressed by the wide variety of architecture styles Memphis has and I think this will be a great addition. A refreshing change from the typical!

I noticed it when flying in from California last night. I couldn't get a good look at the detail, but it sure is bright!

They had a shot of the 1st Tennessee Building this morning on News Channel 5. I don't think they have completed all the sides of the sign, but the one panel I saw was really bright. Hopefully Regions will put a cool sign on top of the 100 North Main Building. I have a book about Memphis from the 80's, and there is an old pic from the late 60's or 70's that showed lights going up and down the 100 North Main Building on the wider sides. I even think they made xs across the middle of it.

Not bad. Something tells me this building will look better than what the rendering suggests. It kinda reminds me of those Richard Meier towers someone posted awhile back.

I agree - has potential -

The rendering is very underwhelming. The angle, mute colors, etc. are "cool" as an architect, but bad as a marketing tool. For some reason many architects don't get that - guess that is why my company is so busy....LOL

They should have gotten rid of the Prince Mongo banner - not real appealing for marketing either.

I agree - has potential -

The rendering is very underwhelming. The angle, mute colors, etc. are "cool" as an architect, but bad as a marketing tool. For some reason many architects don't get that - guess that is why my company is so busy....LOL

They should have gotten rid of the Prince Mongo banner - not real appealing for marketing either.

Yeah...what's the Prince Mongo thing about anyway. I've only been here 3 years, but isn't he the guy that claims he's from a different planet??? And what's a sign with his name on it doing in this rendering? :lol:

Yeah...what's the Prince Mongo thing about anyway. I've only been here 3 years, but isn't he the guy that claims he's from a different planet??? And what's a sign with his name on it doing in this rendering? :lol:

he used to operate a club there. it's been closed for years. don't know if he still has any connection with the building anymore (owner or tenant).

They had a shot of the 1st Tennessee Building this morning on News Channel 5. I don't think they have completed all the sides of the sign, but the one panel I saw was really bright. Hopefully Regions will put a cool sign on top of the 100 North Main Building. I have a book about Memphis from the 80's, and there is an old pic from the late 60's or 70's that showed lights going up and down the 100 North Main Building on the wider sides. I even think they made xs across the middle of it.

see if you can scan it an put it up here

I think it's on the building next door or across the street...I always thought it was on a corner.

see if you can scan it an put it up here

I could do that, but I don't have a scanner, or know anyone that has one.

Now that I look at the picture it looks like the lights are in the shape of a Christmas tree.

The name of the book is Metropolis of the American Nile: Memphis & Shelby County. Its by John E. Harkins and the copyright is 1982. Also if anyone happens to have this same book, the picture is on page 166.

Archived