Outdoor basketball courts

JDC

I can't find any outdoor basketball courts anywhere near downtown Durham, and come to think of it, I don't recall seeing many at all in the Triangle area. For a region that's so obsessed with college hoops, you'd think we'd have more courts.

I'd play indoors at the YMCA, but it costs money and they have too many league nights. Anyone know any good outdoor courts? Any have lights for nighttime play?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good question. You may consider some of the High and Middle Schools on the weekends typically they are free to use.

Not that I think about it where are all the tennis courts in Raleigh at? Unless you live in an apartment complex or community which offers them I really don't see any at the parks I frequent. Anybody know?

Millbrook Exchange Park is really good. There are several at Optimist (actually the parking lot for Sanderson). THere are a couple at North Hills park (on Currituck). There are others but I don't know where they are.

The Durham Parks home page does not list which parks have what facilities. Durham seems to focus more on nature parks and greenways -- Eno, Central Park, and the American Tobacco Trail -- than athletics.

But this parks map page is a good resource. It lists 26 parks having basketball courts and 12 parks with tennis courts.

I used to play basketball and tennis at Oval Park on Club Blvd., but haven't been there in a while.

For Raleigh, they have a good Tennis map as well.

Bastketball Courts -- There are several hidden courts around. I've passed one near cameron village near the post office and there was a mini-park off of person st south of shaw. I imagine there are other mini-parks in other areas. That's in Raleigh though. I think that most of the parks in general have basketball courts, if not there then definitely at the High School and Middle Schools.

Tennis Courts -- In Raleigh, the parks and schools all have courts for the most part.

Archived