Vermont town going nudist!

Charlotteman

Brattleboro, Vermont has been going nudist!

Teenagers, as well as a few adults have lately been sitting in parks, parking lots, in front of restarants naked. There are also watering holes in town that are well known clothing-optional places. And there's a yearly event in which women march topless

Apparently there are no laws against public nudity in Vermont. It's left up to each town.

I see nothing wrong with public nudity myself. If it's sex-free, then why not? If people are offended by nudity, they can always exercise their option of looking in the other direction:)

btw watering hole in this case=lakes, creeks etc

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with nudity. Clothing is a uniquely human affliction, if you want to call it that, although it has its uses. I'm no nudist, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have the right to go nude if you wanted to. Berkeley, CA (what one local talk radio host called Berserk-ley) legalized it years ago...though I've never seen anybody naked in the two times I've been there.

Of course, there are always those people you'd just rather never see naked...

Oh I didn't realize Berkley was lax about public nudity! lol

I'm no nudist either, and I wouldn't be caught dead naked in public. But if it makes other people comfortable and free, then let them strip all they want:)

There are places in Europe--Finland and the Dalmation Coast especially, where folks aren't inhibited to walk around in the altogether. Sounds like Vermont and Berkley are leading the way in the States.

Of course, there are always those people you'd just rather never see naked...

Uhh yeah, like me. :sick:

But seriously, I wouldn't be opposed to public nudity. Our society has always been so modest, but to be honest with the way some women dress these days they might as well be naked.

I guess the issue would be, with how we've been raised here in America, could we handle people walking around nude? First off, children would be giggling and pointing, but also what about people with uncontrollable hormones? Would they just go crazy?

Again, I'm not opposed to the idea. I've always thought it was silly how we Americans seem so fixated on clothing.

Children point and giggle because they've been taught that you must be clothed and if they see the parts of people or themselves that have been hush hush or treated as something to be covered, they would call attention to it. if it was something normal, they wouldn't do that.

Another thing, to have someone with uncontrolled hormones going ga-ga over a nude body is another thing caused by our covering up everything and treating body parts like we do. Again, if it was normal, there would probably be a line between plain nudity and sexually suggestive stuff.

People in America can't help for some reason not separating nudity from sex. Being nude isn't sexual. But it all depends on the time, moods, and whatever else is going on while nude that things may be considered sexual.

Then think about guys. Most guys would never want to see another guy walking around nude. Once again maybe this is another behavior that's taught than natural. If you're not attracted, then what's the worry? if both of you are nude, what's the worry? It's not sexual.

Did any of that make sense?

Children point and giggle because they've been taught that you must be clothed and if they see the parts of people or themselves that have been hush hush or treated as something to be covered, they would call attention to it. if it was something normal, they wouldn't do that.

Another thing, in order to have someone with uncontrolled hormones going ga-ga over a nude body is another thing caused by our covering up everything and treating body parts like we do. Again, if it was normal, there would probably be a line between plain nudity and sexually suggestive stuff.

People in America can't help for some reason not separating nudity from sex. Being nude isn't sexual. But it all depends on the time, moods, and whatever else is going on while nude that things may be considered sexual.

Then think about guys. Most guys would never want to see another guy walking around nude. Once again maybe this is another behavior that's taught than natural. If you're not attracted, then what's the worry? if both of you are nude, what's the worry? It's not sexual.

Did any of that make sense?

Made complete sense.

And I agree... if we're taught to be covered, uncovering in public is shameful. But if it comes naturally to us, there's nothing shameful about it. I guess my concern is with the transition. Because if we ever were to just change that one of these days, there would be a transitional period where awkwardness would definitely come into play.

I guess since we're on the topic of public nudity and how it's percieved in America, I meant to start a thread about something like it two weeks ago. I was watching the Travel Channel and a group of shows on tribes came on with the disclaimer of indigenous nudity. When I saw the first show, I had to laugh. First, the censor picked and chose what to censor. One scene would be uncensored and the next censored. Some scenes just ran a general blurred line across the screen. And the thing was, these people were clothed! Well they showed the women's breasts but everyone's "special areas" were blurred even when they were obviously wearing decorative cloths. How did I know they were decorative? Thanks to the censor picking and choosing. They could show the same person blurred one moment, flip to someone else, then flip back to him unblurred. It was just plain stupid. Are we that afraid of seeing nudity now?

Let the pedophiles flock! How can a story about teens running around a town nude, and it being legal, be good for the town? In no way do I think they should be prohibited from exercising that city's rights, I just think this sort of publicity brings the wrong type of tourism.

The last thing I want to do is walk around nude. I don't care if it's Georgia or Alaska. Maybe a few years ago, but that Freshman 25 got to me (which is sad because I graduated three years ago). If you want to take off your clothes and be free that's fine with me, but let's try to keep it away from kids and old people with heart problems. Some people in this country still value modesty.

In all seriousness, nudity is the great equalizer (well, not always, ahem, but you know what I mean). I've been to beaches all over Europe that are "clothing optional", or as they say, "naturist". Nothing the least bit sexual about it. Quite liberating, actually. That said, I don't want to go to a restaurant nude, nor do I want to eat in one where there are nude people. Beaches, lakes, parks...all fine by me. But please don't let me have to see it in line at the Starbucks.

As a side note, you can instantly spot North Americans at a nude beach because they're the ones who walk down the strand with their suits on gawking and pointing.

The last thing I want to do is walk around nude. I don't care if it's Georgia or Alaska. Maybe a few years ago, but that Freshman 25 got to me (which is sad because I graduated three years ago). If you want to take off your clothes and be free that's fine with me, but let's try to keep it away from kids and old people with heart problems. Some people in this country still value modesty.

But you are the Pillsbury doughboy right? :lol:

Miesian Corners, if you are nude and at Starbucks... something about that to me would require clothes anyway... don't let coffee spill on you!

Archived