Relocation thread

The fiance and I have been looking at Washington D.C., so it raises several questions about neighborhoods folks might be able to help me flesh out a little.

What is the neighborhood/area around Walter Reed in the "District" like? This is an area of interest for us.

Silver Springs and College Park are also two other areas that we are really starting to learn about, how do they compare in the scheme of things of living, working, and commuting in the city.

Laurel is someplace else I have looked, albeit it further out.

We are really just starting the process of looking, so any comments on these areas, or any other areas anyone would suggest looking at would be great. Pretty much we are just trying to learn about some neighborhoods for good starting points in our search for what might suit our needs/wants in a neighborhood best. Easy access to mass transit and an ability to walk to various types of amenities would be big pluses.

• 4 years later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all, I have a potential job for the Navy at the Navy Yard, so I have some questions below if anyone can offer their advice. Quick background, I currently live in downtown Orlando, and have been lucky to be able to walk to work, bars, restaraunts, etc. Life is good here but I look forward to a new job opportunity for the federal government and new city. I have been to DC once in 2013, and it was fun. Im looking for a one bedroom under $2000.

1. Is the Navy Yard area a good place to live? Bars? Restaraunts? From what I read, its booming with developments.

2. Can I walk to work, or is Navy Yard a huge base?

3. What other areas can I live that have public transportation to Navy Yard?

4. Should I own a car?

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Navy Yard is really jumping off at the moment. There are some bars and restaurants in the area, but the number will explode when the new Half Street and the Whole Foods complexes are built. Navy Yard is immediately adjacent to Capitol Hill and Barracks Row, which abuts Eastern Market (a street with loads of restaurants and bars). While the other side of the river is pretty desolate, you still have plenty to walk to in those neighborhoods.

Navy Yard is a pretty large base. Most of the housing is on the north side of Navy Yard (the neighborhood), so your walk could be up to a mile depending on where you live. The further east you can live (though probably not beyond 5th Street SE), the closer you will be to work. Navy Yard is on the green line, so in theory you could live in Chinatown, Shaw, U Street, or Columbia Heights. I would strong recommend that you not go across the river (it's the most dangerous area in DC) and or north of Columbia Heights (development turns into residential neighborhoods). Most people in urban areas of DC do not have cars as parking is prohibitively expensive and the DC DMV is a pain. You should be comfortable living car-free. If you like the security of having one, you can sign up for Car2Go, Enterprise Car Share, or ZipCar, all of which are basically on-demand rental car companies. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks much for your help. Of those areas you mentioned, including the navy yard area, which one would you recommend? I like drinking and eating out (assuming I make new friends, lol), rent budget between $1400 to 1700, around 700 sf. Navy Yard seems to be good fit for me since things are new, closer to work, but im open to Chinatown or other areas near the Green metro. Ive visited Columbia Height, it was an active area but kinda griddy on certain streets. Thanks

Navy Yard is probably a good bet. You may run into issues finding a one bedroom of that size in that budget though. I know it seems crazy, but 1 bedrooms are typically $2,000+ in decent neighborhoods in DC. I would focus in on the yellow line, maybe consider Crystal City and Pentagon City in Virginia. Chinatown, U Street, and Columbia Heights are likely out of your reach unless you get a roommate or consider a studio.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought I give this thread some life. I have been here about two months now. So far, its 50/50. Got a junior 1 bedroom for $1955 near the Navy Yard metro. I like navy yard area, pretty clean, new, and walking distance to my work at the Navy Yard base. But Navy Yard def missing some of the charm of other neighborhood. I can not see myself living here more than couple years. The city is kinda gritty and dirty, expensive, and in my experience, not very friendly (especially bartenders). And I havent even experienced winter yet, lol. Oh well, I remind myself its a life experience and think positively.

• 5 weeks later...

The Navy Yard area is a newly revitalized neighborhood and just now jelling as a neighborhood.  You will find your neighborhood bar and when you become one of the regulars the bartenders will become nicer and you will meet people who could become friends for life.   There are a lot of new to DC people in your neighborhood looking for the same thing you are looking for and eventually you will find each other just takes time.