Why are you on here?

Veloise

On another message board (a Yahoo group for GVMC folk) one of the planners (hi Jay!!) asked about UP. That board gets a few comments every week, more when there's a good reason to comment on one of its members. In contrast...

Which begs the question: why are you on UP? What do you get out of this?

(We could repeat that CV background, too)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found UP when the"Mystery Development" was in full swing in February. Once that died down, I saw that this board had great conversations and a diverse group of people that were gung ho about Grand Rapids and its developments.

So - I read everyday, comment when I see the need. Oh, I forgot to mention all the great photogs this board has.

Found UP when the"Mystery Development" was in full swing in February. Once that died down, I saw that this board had great conversations and a diverse group of people that were gung ho about Grand Rapids and its developments.

So - I read everyday, comment when I see the need. Oh, I forgot to mention all the great photogs this board has.

Ditto, and although I have been more of a lurker than a poster, I find UP to be a more interesting way to keep up on what's going on in GR than the usual media websites. UP allows me to know what changes to look for when I come back to visit every few months. ;)

v: who is the planner named "Jay" ??? please inform him that he must stop using my name! =;-)

why am i here? because i like asking rhetorical questions... i like shamlessly promoting my blogs (yes, blogs plural)... i like looking at all the pretty pictures of GR that aren't blurry... and the community here is a great group of people in cyberspace and in real life - anyone care for a Fall meetup?

I, too, got hooked during the whole "mystery development" saga. I stick around because I like reading about all the development projects going on and then sharing what I've learned here with others in real life. I have friends who think it's funny when I say "someone on UP was saying that ....." UP also provides more information than could or would ever be featured in the media. And you get a diversity of sources/opinions.

I definitely like this place for that community feel too, people's personalities come through in their posts if you stick around and read enough of them. I also like that people are respectful of other's opinions. That's gotta be due in part to the kinds of people that frequent the forum, but also that GRDad will throw them off if they're not walking the line!

On another message board (a Yahoo group for GVMC folk) one of the planners (hi Jay!!) asked about UP. That board gets a few comments every week, more when there's a good reason to comment on one of its members. In contrast...

Please invite some of the folks from GVMC to come participate here. It would be great to get a regional perspective to growth and transportation issues.

I come here mainly for the construction and development updates, which fortunately lately have been coming weekly (alliteration). I probably wouldn't participate as much if nothing new were going on.

I also appreciate the mature level of discussion on most of the issues.

Simple: I work downtown and really enjoy seeing the changes taking place. Standard media spends too much time talking about Duane Faust and only gives updates on projects in the city every 6 months or so.

I found UP a few years ago when searching for information about Detroit. Found it again (and actually signed up this time) when I was reading up on the work downtown in GR.

I am on UP-GR because of the communications. I'm facinated by the social network and how it could lead to a bonding of members. It's interesting that just one person might be able to connect with another to form a relationship that could lead to a change in our community. Anyone can elaborate on a subject and in a short while strike up a conversation that could lead to something positive. It's not backroom talk, it's open and up for critcism. It reminds me of a laidback Tim Russert roundtable conversation.

I gain from this experince with a contact or two and a heightened sense of awareness for the financial and building developments of downtown.

I think it's kind of cool that we can amass a small army of supporters on one topic and inact some kind of influence...

This is part of phase one in my evil plan to take over the Universe! :whistling:

Just kidding... I joined UP a few years ago after seeing a watermark on a photo in another forum board. I did not post after that for a few years. (Since there was very limited interaction at that point)

Then when I started looking up information on Grand Rapids, I came across this site again, and thought hey, what a great way to get a better understanding of my new community!

I guess I have dove in head first, but I have yet to meet anyone on here in person. (that I know of anyways)

I came here searching for an internet community dedicated to grand rapids. I wasn't really seeking out anything related to development, but do enjoy discussion about it, having been an avid sim city fan for ages and enjoying architecture, so that was a plus.

The maturity and intelligent discussion from numerous viewpoints is also a plus, and a rarity on the internet.. which only further encourages my frequent visits. A fall meetup would be really cool, too. I'd love to meet the faces behind the avatars.

Please invite some of the folks from GVMC to come participate here. It would be great to get a regional perspective to growth and transportation issues. ...

Many of them know about us, and quote UP. That discussion of the "Welcome to Wyoming" RR trestle? It was mentioned there, complete with a link to the photos, and someone actually answered the question as to why it was painted that way.

To Jay B: GR has at least three fellas named Jay working in quasi/public ventures. DDA Jay, Parks Jay, and GVMC Jay. Must have been the "Matthew" or "Christopher" name of the 50's.

May as well answer my own question: for me, UP is where RIFFED former municipal employees come to practice armchair planning. And promote their bicycle ministries.

I lurked UP so that I would be up to date and aware of what is going on where I live, and in places that I'm intersted in. Then I registered because I wanted to reply to the discussions. This site is also a good chance to learn about city related things (planning, architecture, real estate, politics, etc.) and I like learning about those things. There are wonderful photographers here. And of course, there are a lot of nice people who are interested in the same things as me.

Someone might actually want to consider getting a life!

[kidding you, snoogie]

I should be the one to poke fun at.. :lol:

It's better that snoog be typing away like the 63% of Americans then to be snorting crack and smoking weed.

[1995 DARE Graduate :) ]

Archived