Why are you on here?

Veloise

Why am I here:

I was born and raised in GR but then lived other places for several years before returning to GR.

It's been exciting to see so many positive changes within the urban areas.

UP is great, especially the Grand Rapids branch because of the participation. I firmly believe discussion like this is very necessary. I like the fact there is a diverse representation of people here, spanning many professions. I have learned much here at the UP.

My professional background is in Information Technology, GIS & Public Policy. The GIS & PP parts fit in nicely with many of the topics at UP.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm here because of SimCity...the orignal black and white Mac version. Cities and development are probably my second interest behind computers. So, if I didn't go to school for computer science, I probably would have gone into city planning.

My brother actually did get a degree in urban planning from MSU and worked for a transportation planning company in Cincinnati for 9 months before quitting and trying to break into a developer role. He hasn't actually developed anything yet, but he has been investing in real estate and is slowly building his empire. :) He owns a couple houses and a 20 unit apartment building.

As for why I'm here? I joined before the big mystery development mess. I had browsed the forums here occasionally before, but decided to become a participant. I like the local community aspect to it. Even if I do end up moving to Austin I'll probably still keep hanging around there.

-nb

I'm here because of SimCity...the orignal black and white Mac version. Cities and development are probably my second interest behind computers. So, if I didn't go to school for computer science, I probably would have gone into city planning.

Ah yes, the original sim City. Honestly, thats how I first got interested in following urbanization in the first place. Had I not gone to school for comm., I would have went into city planning or something to that effect. That interest has carried over to being hooked on this site.

Ah yes, the original sim City. Honestly, thats how I first got interested in following urbanization in the first place. Had I not gone to school for comm., I would have went into city planning or something to that effect. That interest has carried over to being hooked on this site.

I never played the first sim city, I started with 2000. However, well before even the first sim city, I was designing cities out of legos. I never wanted those space station or pirate sets, I wanted the city ones. Eventually I started mapping out my lego town on paper, abandoned the lgo one and filled countless notebooks with continuing maps of a metropolis.. with everything from urban centers (I threw in the Amway here) to giant malls (Mall of America's big brother), suburban elite neighbourhoods, glorified strip malls, and larger-than-life skyscrapers all mixed together. (Hey, I was 8.) I lost these cities several times due to bullies and damage, but recreated them several times with imrovements each time. I still have them somewhere, provided they didn't get damaged by the water heater leak last week.

But anywho, yeah I've had an interest in city design ever since I can remember. Needless to say I still avidly play Sim City. I'm waiting to get my good PC back online to upload screenshots, all I got online right now are shots of a suburban sprawl project I did. ( http://www.tsukigawa.net/categories.php?cat_id=138 Designed in Sim City 4 with a crapload of addons and mods)

I was obsessed with SimCity for the SuperNES. I actually built a virtual Grand Rapids with all the same street layout and complete with the Grand River.

I want to do the same in Sim City 4. First I need a topographical map of Grand Rapids though to get correct elevations and get the right slope for the hill. Then I need to create various models for the more iconic buildings downtown: Amway/Pantlind, Bridgewater, Plaza Towers, VAI, Calder Plaza, GVSU, DeVos Place, various styled Parking Garages (the current in-game and user-made ones are few and far between), the Campau building, Civic Theatre, and the entire Monroe Center strip since the game wasn't programmed to have buildings face diagonal streets, I'd have to model that entire block as one building.

I was obsessed with SimCity for the SuperNES. I actually built a virtual Grand Rapids with all the same street layout and complete with the Grand River.

I still played SNES at the time of the s-curve reconstruction so I had to recreate that on the game as well with new traffic patterns and a new rail system :P

Just an observation, but it seems to me that comments are more restrained these days. For example, I don't believe the person who had the big electrical box problem at U2 ever shared how things were resolved. I'm very interested to hear how the developer made things right. Unless that is confidential, which would be a shame because it would be a good thing to know and would shed some positive light on the developer.

It's a feeling I'm getting. Hard to put my finger on it.

You could always send them a PM, couldn't you?

No, not at all. I didn't know there was someone pestering the forum. I'll have to check that one out.

:)

I think it was last Friday night. Someone put up about 5 new topics related to te Masonic hall, with no content other than a reference to a college team (South Bend). Ten minutes later posts & perp were history.

What was that all about? How weird.

This person has a "hate" relationship with a certain local developer, and has registered under a multitude of different usernames over the past 6 months. His posts not only contain hate-filled messages against Christians and Dutch people, they are just tyrades against one thing or another, and add no value to anything. You may remember one of the usernames as "anticrcdutch", amongst other tasteless usernames. I have no idea what it is all about, nor do I care. He spammed the hell out of the forum last week for almost two days straight regarding something he thought he saw at the Masonic Temple, which monsoon and I had to spend hours monitoring and cleaning up.

What a waste of time.

Archived