• SE
    • NE
    • NW
    • SW
    • Not in the City...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A) An established neighborhood w/ a house that was totally redone by a home-builder. A good price on a nice house.

B) Close (10 minutes) to our places of employment

C) Had lived in the area (renter) before we bought the home. Liked the area, the conveniences, and closeness to 1) Family 2) Expressways 3) Work

D) We got the most for our $$ in selecting to live where we did.

EDIT: Guess I should state that I live in Wyoming. Tucked in behind Rogers High School.

My family and I moved into the GR area from the Chicago area 20 some years ago. We rented a house in EGR for a few months but quickly found that the upper crust where not welcoming to people that didn't drive brand new BMW's and made six figure incomes. We drove and old '69 Murcury Monteray and an old rusty Ford Tourino Station Wagon at the time. Shoot! Some of the neighbors accused us of putting up satanic symbols when we decorated the windows with construction paper made to look like snow flakes during Christmas. Needless to say that EGR was not for us. So we moved to a house in Wyoming. That too lasted only a few months as it turned out to be a rip off. Infact the first night we lived there we lit the gas fire place. The darn thing exploded. Well, after a few months of go arounds we ditched that hole for a place in Kentwood. That place was alright... Exept there was this old fart living behind us constantly accusing me of throwing five gallon buckets full of sand over a wall of sixteen foot tall hedges into his swiming pool some twenty feet away. I was 12 years old at the time and looked like a hockey stick with hair. So explain how I can throw a five gallon bucket of sand let alone strain to pick it off the ground. Anyway, we lived there for three years. But the landlord started jacking up our rent to points beyond the rediculous for no apparent reason. Come to find out he'ed been using the money from our monthly rent payments to pay the costs of a bitter divorce battle. As the court fees and legal costs piled up he would rise the rend to compansate. So needless to say we moved. That's when we came to Walker. This is the first home we've moved into that didn't give us a bunch grief. So we've been living here ever since.

I've moved 15 times in my lifetime. Mostly moving between Stockbridge, Roosevelt Park, Burton Heights, and then some time in Kentwood and Wyoming. Now I'm doing a stint out in Schaumburg, IL.

I lived in these places because I was raised in these neighborhoods. My family seemed to concetrate on these sides because my great grand father was a gypsum miner in the near SW side. The job demanded that he live close. The family hasn't moved out of the area and looks like it will be sticking around for generations to come.

Downtown...Plaza Towers apartment for now...until I find the right Condo.

I was born and raised in the SE part of GR. Followed by stints in Germany, Portugal and Greece.

It was then to Seattle for a few years. I then became a NE Grand Rapidian for a few months but now I am DT.

It's funny but the NW part of GR is so unfamiliar to me. Growing up on the east side of GR, I never really had a need to visit the west side. A few times in the past I have gotten really lost while driving in the NW part of GR. I consider myself to have an excellent sense of direction too!

I live in EGR, just moved here 18 months ago. It's been a great move for us, it's an incredibly welcoming community, and we can walk to Eastown or Gaslight Village on any given day (and usually do). We wanted a walkable community and we've found one, so we're very happy. I should add, I'm always a little annoyed by what I perceive as misguided impressions about EGR's upper crust impression. I drive a Ford Focus (not a BMW), I live in a 1400 sq. foot house (in a neighborhood full of similar homes). EGR's per-capita income is well under $100,000 (as is mine).

Anyway, I digress. Having moved to the GR area from outside the area completely, I can say that the sprawl laden burbs and farms-to-homes conversions out in the exurbs here are as bad as anywhere else...just on a smaller scale because we're a smaller city. I can also say that the downtown's revitalization is going nicely (as is the national trend..and the trend here in Michigan...just visit Kalamazoo for a comparable example), the people are friendly (as is the case all over W. Mich.) and the beaches are great (of course).

p.s. "Aida" isn't a town. It should be spelled "Ada"

When I was born, my parents lived in Roosevelt Park (as did many recent Dutch immigrants). We moved to the Newhall neignborhood of Wyoming when I turned 5. After college, I bought a house in South Hill near Madison and Franklin, where I lived until 2002. My job brought me to Chicago, and then last year, to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, but my heart is still in GR, and I hope to return, at least part time, in the near future.

I am a bit surprised that there are not any people from the West Side of the city. I know of at least one person who lives in Union Square.

I am also impressed with the number of city dwellers. I would love to see better demographic data showing recent migration patterns and inner cities. There have been studies that have said that cities (especially areas close to downtown) are gaining in young population and recent graduates, other studies say that the one way ticket out of the city continues.

Archived