A couple of Pelham Rd. construction questions, if you don't mind...

Clemson

This is my first post here, so if this has already been answered elsewhere, or should have gone elsewhere, please accept my apologies.

Does anyone know what (if anything) will be going up at the former location of the old Regal Cinemas off Pelham Road and I-85? I drove by there a couple of days ago and was shocked to see the theater reduced to a pile of rubble. It was just standing last week! Dang it, I had some fond memories of that little theater. It was the first place I ever went to to see a movie back in the early 1990's. It closed several years ago when the bigger Hollywood 20 opened on Woodruff Rd. A while back, they also tore down the seafood restaurant that was in front of the small lake beside Chop House '47 on Beacon Drive but haven't built anything there yet. That whole area at I-85 and Pelham seems to be going thru a construction boom now.

And what is going up at the corner of Roper Mountain Road Extension and Pelham Road? Two or three houses were demolished several weeks ago and grading of the site has begun. Is it still going to be that Walgreens that the neighborhood tried to block? I thought that before they were going to put another development there, they were going to re-design the terrible intersection.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first post here, so if this has already been answered elsewhere, or should have gone elsewhere, please accept my apologies.

Does anyone know what (if anything) will be going up at the former location of the old Regal Cinemas off Pelham Road and I-85? I drove by there a couple of days ago and was shocked to see the theater reduced to a pile of rubble. It was just standing last week! Dang it, I had some fond memories of that little theater. It was the first place I ever went to to see a movie back in the early 1990's. It closed several years ago when the bigger Hollywood 20 opened on Woodruff Rd. A while back, they also tore down the seafood restaurant that was in front of the small lake beside Chop House '47 on Beacon Drive but haven't built anything there yet. That whole area at I-85 and Pelham seems to be going thru a construction boom now.

And what is going up at the corner of Roper Mountain Road Extension and Pelham Road? Two or three houses were demolished several weeks ago and grading of the site has begun. Is it still going to be that Walgreens that the neighborhood tried to block? I thought that before they were going to put another development there, they were going to re-design the terrible intersection.

The Roper Mountain Rd @ Pelham development is going to be a CVS if I'm not mistaken. Either that or a Walgreens.... either way its still a drug store. Greenville's Eastside Alliance heavily opposed this development, but it went through anyway.

I don't know about the old Regal Cinemas. Perhaps someone else does :)

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Clemson! Glad to have another member from Greenville on board. :thumbsup:

I have fond memories of 'The Hungry Fisherman Restaurant' myself and was sad to see it come down. :cry: Now hearing the final demise of the Regal has actually happened, I know something is going to go up in its place. Someone recently posted about what is being developed there, but I have forgotten. Perhaps they will jog my memory with the correct info... <hint> ;)

After five years of being inactive, the ownder probably decided to tear it down. It would have been good for another cinema chain to buy it and convert it into a 10-screen stadium seating theater. The demographics are strong for that area to support one.

Walgreen's is going up at Pelham Road and Roper Mountain Road extension. An opposing group from the county were against it, but the site is annexed into the city limits. The city approved the plans, and the drugstore is a go. It should be open early next year.

Archived