Connecticut's Cities

Carter711

I think Stamford is a great city and has a lot of potential. Stamford also obviously receives a lot of benefits from its proximity to New York City like cities like New Rochelle & White Plains. My only concern is that Stamford does not let itself becoming a sprawling area with a non pedestrian downtown. Downtown White Plains and downtown New Rochelle are booming. There are huge new apartment & condo towers, new malls and new office space but these downtowns are very car friendly...you do not see huge amounts of people walking around. I dont want Stamford to become like this. We should work to have downtown Stamford become as hopping as Downtown New Haven

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Stamford is a great city and has a lot of potential. Stamford also obviously receives a lot of benefits from its proximity to New York City like cities like New Rochelle & White Plains. My only concern is that Stamford does not let itself becoming a sprawling area with a non pedestrian downtown. Downtown White Plains and downtown New Rochelle are booming. There are huge new apartment & condo towers, new malls and new office space but these downtowns are very car friendly...you do not see huge amounts of people walking around. I dont want Stamford to become like this. We should work to have downtown Stamford become as hopping as Downtown New Haven

I live in Stamford--recently moved from Brooklyn and now commute everyday. Anyway, Stamford has a ton of land on the southend. They recently rezoned a super large industrial area and a huge residential/commercial area is being planned and construction should begin in 2007. Downtown is on the edge of going up, up, up. Density is going to be huge in Stamford's future (not as if they don't currently have good density, they just need to improve upon it). Stamford could easily pass Bridgeport and Hartford/New Haven in the next 20 years as the state's most populated city. I'd guess these numbers:

2020 rank and population:

5. Norwalk, 115,000

4. Hartford, 122,000

3. New Haven, 130,000

2. Bridgeport, 135,000

1. Stamford, 140,000

2020 seems a little soon for stamford to overcome hartford and new haven, which are still growing themselves, but at 37 sq mi stamford has a lot more land than hartford, new haven, and bridgeport (which is the smallest of the 3). so while i do see stamford growing to become CT's largest, it'll take more than 14 years for it to bypass the current 3 largest.

I live in Stamford--recently moved from Brooklyn and now commute everyday. Anyway, Stamford has a ton of land on the southend. They recently rezoned a super large industrial area and a huge residential/commercial area is being planned and construction should begin in 2007. Downtown is on the edge of going up, up, up. Density is going to be huge in Stamford's future (not as if they don't currently have good density, they just need to improve upon it). Stamford could easily pass Bridgeport and Hartford/New Haven in the next 20 years as the state's most populated city. I'd guess these numbers:

2020 rank and population:

5. Norwalk, 115,000

4. Hartford, 122,000

3. New Haven, 130,000

2. Bridgeport, 135,000

1. Stamford, 140,000

I am obviously biased towards Hartford but if those numbers come to be then all of Hartford's revitalization efforts will have been dismal failures which is unlikely in my opinion. Stamford is on the way up and there is a ton of room for growth there but Hartfod is coming back. I predict Hartford wil be close to 140,000 by then hopefully more and have no idea how big Stamford might be.

• 2 months later...

New Haven is by far the best city, overall. There are thriving farmer's markets, ethnic restaurants and local culture, plus dozens of historic districts. The urban fabric there is really incredible, and well-preserved (with the exception of a few small "urban renewal" areas downtown, most of the city's layout and housing stock is museum-like in terms of architecture). The other cities are mostly just job centers, not real neighborhoods. New Haven is seeing a huge growth in terms of population and desirability, with out-of-state developers bidding up the price of literally every spare parcel of land near downtown.

New Haven is by far the best city, overall. There are thriving farmer's markets, ethnic restaurants and local culture, plus dozens of historic districts. The urban fabric there is really incredible, and well-preserved (with the exception of a few small "urban renewal" areas downtown, most of the city's layout and housing stock is museum-like in terms of architecture). The other cities are mostly just job centers, not real neighborhoods. New Haven is seeing a huge growth in terms of population and desirability, with out-of-state developers bidding up the price of literally every spare parcel of land near downtown.

I am obviously biased towards Hartford but if those numbers come to be then all of Hartford's revitalization efforts will have been dismal failures which is unlikely in my opinion. Stamford is on the way up and there is a ton of room for growth there but Hartford is coming back. I predict Hartford wil be close to 140,000 by then hopefully more and have no idea how big Stamford might be.

Depending on how you view it, this is an unfair assesment b/c it doesn't take regional considerations into account.

First, Hartford's population has stabilized; the decline is over and there was modest growth between 2000 and 2005 (up like .2%). I think you'll see more people move downtown--I don't know precisely how much, but there will be growth, thanks to the incredible revitalization efforts underway.

Second, West Hartford is hugely popular right now and building like crazy. There was an article in today's Courant about how the city broke records for construction permits even taking out of consideration the development of Blue Back Square. West Hartford is so proximate to Hartford that--as is often discussed on the Greater Hartford forum--it would, in any other region, be a part of the city. Not only is Hartford a small city geographically, but it's a north-south rectangle, which makes West Hartford even more proximate. Folks living in the western part of West Hartford are closer to downtown Hartford than people living in the northern and southern most parts of Hartford proper.

My point is that Hartford is a very desirable city, in part, thanks to the success of West Hartford. I have friends from New Haven who say that while downtown New Haven has more retail than downtown Hartford, on whole, the city is not as good b/c it doesn't have an easily accessible neighborhood like West Hartford. When you consider the towns' combined arts, restaurants, entertainment, and retail, Hartford is a fabulous place to live. Obviously, the city line is a major divider in some ways--schools most especially--it is practically non-existent in others. The transition from Hartford to West Hartford on Prospect Avenue is seemless, and unless you're from here, you would have no idea that the grand homes on the east side of the street are in a different city than those on the west.

Archived