Greatest Property Value increase Next Decade

salatheel

With the boom in Charlotte and along the coast it is only a matter of time before more people discover Columbia.

When that happens what area do you expect to prosper the most?

Over the next ten years what town or area will have the greatest property value increase?

I grew up in a town that when the time came I couldn't afford to live in as an adult. Will this happen to the Columbia area as well?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olympia will probably see the greatest increase. i wish i had enough money to buy now, but more importantly, to buy some property there 3-4 years ago when i noticed it looked like a great investment. the Whaley Row project is being built right next to railroad tracks where a warehouse was 5 years ago, with starting prices of $239K on the sign.

With the boom in Charlotte and along the coast it is only a matter of time before more people discover Columbia.

When that happens what area do you expect to prosper the most?

Over the next ten years what town or area will have the greatest property value increase?

I grew up in a town that when the time came I couldn't afford to live in as an adult. Will this happen to the Columbia area as well?

Buy NOW! Don't wait! I see midtown as being the 'hot spot' over the next 10 years. I'm not sure about the condos; but the townhouses I believe are an excellent place to live, raise a family, and retire. I purchased in University Hill neighborhood about 10 years ago and have watched my home value double during that time.

I am a real estate agent, and know a little bit about this. I grew up in Orlando and moved here after getting tired of getting a yearly pay cut. I think we're next, but the housing market has cooled off recently. The good news for Columbia is that prices should only level off, not dip like in some of the hotter markets. Columbia is the nicest, largest, Southeastern city that I can think of with such affordable home prices. Buy now, or in a few months. We'll be flat for a while. Unless you're talking about downtown.

Yes, but not just in condos. In Florida homes are sitting on the market and some are losing value. I am not surprised as I thought it was insanity as few people can afford $400K homes. Yes there are cheaper, but you'd be surprised what you get.

Columbia's economy is pretty stable and given that and its size, I think that's reflected in the housing market. It's really only the big cities throwing up condos left and right that's starting to see something of a bubble bursting.

I know we are seeing a dip out where we are in Northwest Richland (Irmo-Chapin area), but that is likely because the school year has already started and people only buy out here for what they consider the best schools. We are still eyeing some property in Olympia -- I do think it will see the biggest boost of any area near downtown. It's shabby now, so property is not so high. It's really close to the city center and lots of planned developments. And the neighborhood infrastructure is coming.

Yeah, the northeast has a lot more sales traffic than other areas, that I've noticed, and probably a lot more currently on the market.

I know we are seeing a dip out where we are in Northwest Richland, but that is likely because the school year has already started and people only buy out here for what they consider the best schools. We are still eyeing some property in Olympia -- I do think it will see the biggest boost of any area near downtown. It's shabby now, so property is not so high. It's really close to the city center and lots of planned developments. And the neighborhood infrastructure is coming.

• 1 month later...

^ Same here. I'd like to get one, revanp the staircase, change it to a single family dwelling, put a second florr porch out front, and a garage in back opening to the alley. I've thought about that for years. It'd be tough brining those houses up to current building codes. I'll have to peruse the IRC and see what it would entail.

I met my wife in the New Brookland mill village, so it has a special place in my heart.

^ Same here. I'd like to get one, revanp the staircase, change it to a single family dwelling, put a second florr porch out front, and a garage in back opening to the alley. I've thought about that for years. It'd be tough brining those houses up to current building codes. I'll have to peruse the IRC and see what it would entail.

I met my wife in the New Brookland mill village, so it has a special place in my heart.

Archived