Little Rock Highways

Rardy

Right now, the part of 440 that is north of 40 is signed AR440...it's not interstate at all. Not to say that it won't be...but one thing to remember is that not all freeways are interstates. So, the northbelt may be signed a state freeway, rather than an interstate.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've kinda grown attached to 430. It was always my pipeline in LR growing up. I would miss the old signage. But if clarity, simplicity, and efficiency need to prevail I'm all for it.

Being signed AR 440 is an indication of AHTD's intent to change it over to I-440 once the entirety of the project is finished. Ie AR 540 prior to the completion of I-540. There are rules about when something can be signed as a certain interstate. That would be why the Texarkana loop isn't 130 yet or 63 to Jonesboro being 555.

There was talk of a South loop, but I don't think it will ever fit into the framework of the loop interstates we have now. It would likely be an arterial or I would think so.

I'm not sure there is a high demand for a "loop" specifically to connect 430 and 530

I don't see how 430 and 440 could be the same interstate as part of a loop, when the southern part of the loop is 30. They wouldn't rename that part of it 430 or 440...it would be 30.

They could run concurrently. It would be I-30/430. Happens regularly (I-20/59 in Alabama, 40/75 in Knoxville for example).

That would be why the Texarkana loop isn't 130 yet or 63 to Jonesboro being 555.

Are there plans to change Texarkana's loop to an interstate designation? I know with 49 coming through, that's kinda fuzzy, but that's a loop, not a spur, so wouldn't it need to be 230 or 430?

Are there plans to extend 67 to Jonesboro? I-555 should be open next year!

I've kinda grown attached to 430. It was always my pipeline in LR growing up. I would miss the old signage. But if clarity, simplicity, and efficiency need to prevail I'm all for it.

Being signed AR 440 is an indication of AHTD's intent to change it over to I-440 once the entirety of the project is finished. Ie AR 540 prior to the completion of I-540. There are rules about when something can be signed as a certain interstate. That would be why the Texarkana loop isn't 130 yet or 63 to Jonesboro being 555.

There was talk of a South loop, but I don't think it will ever fit into the framework of the loop interstates we have now. It would likely be an arterial or I would think so.

I'm not sure there is a high demand for a "loop" specifically to connect 430 and 530

Yeah, 440 is interstate quality but hasn't yet reached interstate designation yet, kind of like 530 was a decade ago.

It's not that strange to have an incomplete loop around the city. I-240 in Memphis is incomplete, as is I-635 (LBJ) in Dallas and I-820 in Ft Worth. All of these are kind of horseshoes, in Memphis' case because of the Arkansas River.

Yeah, 440 is interstate quality but hasn't yet reached interstate designation yet, kind of like 530 was a decade ago.

It's not that strange to have an incomplete loop around the city. I-240 in Memphis is incomplete, as is I-635 (LBJ) in Dallas and I-820 in Ft Worth. All of these are kind of horseshoes, in Memphis' case because of the Arkansas River.

When did Memphis become so big that it has anything to do with the Arkansas River? Or was there an earthquake last night and eastern Arkansas went under?

Memphis' loop originally was complete. It was originally all signed 240, but that was changed in the '90's when the northern leg was labeled simply 40, after plans to build 40 straight through the city were dropped at court order in the '70's.

umm...the river in Memphis is the Mississippi and it really didn't affect the placement of the loop.

If memory serves me correct, there are only 12 full interstate loops (whether signed or not) in the entire U.S. They're quite rare.

They could run concurrently. It would be I-30/430. Happens regularly (I-20/59 in Alabama, 40/75 in Knoxville for example).

Are there plans to change Texarkana's loop to an interstate designation? I know with 49 coming through, that's kinda fuzzy, but that's a loop, not a spur, so wouldn't it need to be 230 or 430?

I'm not the best to answer these, but AHTD has a practice of not usuing dual signage although usually in the case of I-states and US highways. What is signage like on the dual stretch of 40 and 55 in W Memphis?

The last I heard it was going to be I-130 once complete, but that may have changed... not sure though

There are plans for a relocation of US 67, but I'm not sure if it will be all the way to Jonesboro

What is signage like on the dual stretch of 40 and 55 in W Memphis?

It's signed concurrent Eastbound I-40/Southbound I-55 and Westbound I-40/Northbound I-55. They simply display both numbers and directions.

Texarkana is also getting I-169 I believe (???).

When did Memphis become so big that it has anything to do with the Arkansas River? Or was there an earthquake last night and eastern Arkansas went under?

Obviously I meant Mississippi.

umm...the river in Memphis is the Mississippi and it really didn't affect the placement of the loop.

I forgot that the loop didn't encompass downtown at all and was all East of it, the "bite" out of it is I-40 to the North. Actually, Memphis has a very strange freeway layout.

As far as the extention of 67, it is not suppose to come any closer to Jonesboro more than 15 to 20 miles. The Jonesboro Chamber of Commerce wants a freeway built from Jonesboro to the future extention of 67 signed 730 in compliance that the extention would be named I-30. I seriously doubt that it will be named I-30. I was thinking maybe I-57 if it connects to that interstate. Imagine a direct route from Little Rock via Dallas to Chicago. Wow! That could bring more jobs, more tourists and people to the Natural State.

There are a lot of miles between Newport and Sikeston. Although the dream is to connect US 67 with I-57, I think it's more likely that US 67 is expanded toward Jonesboro, added to the interstate system as I-30 and the dream of connecting with I-57 remains just that for a long while. Certainly, I think there are higher priorities (I-69, I-530 extension) than building another interstate to Missouri.

There are a lot of miles between Newport and Sikeston. Although the dream is to connect US 67 with I-57, I think it's more likely that US 67 is expanded toward Jonesboro, added to the interstate system as I-30 and the dream of connecting with I-57 remains just that for a long while. Certainly, I think there are higher priorities (I-69, I-530 extension) than building another interstate to Missouri.

67 simply will not be renamed I-30 for the following very simple reason:

I-30 is a west-east interstate (even though it runs more north in AR than east)

I-40 is a west-east interstate

2 west-east interstates cannot cross paths, that would defy the interstate system rules.

Only a north-south interstate and a west-east interstate can cross paths.

It could not even be signed an I-30 spur, as it does not connect to I-30...it only connects to I-40.

As far as double signing...US 63 and I-40 share pavement between West Memphis and Hazen...however, it is only signed I-40. The whole US 63 thing is quite messed up since they changed it around. It goes southeast from MO into AR, then follows I-55 to West Memphis, then follows I-40 WEST all the way to Hazen before turning south and going down to the LA line. VERY ODD! I-40 between Conway and NLR, I-30 between NLR and I-530, and I-530 between Little Rock and Pine Bluff share pavement with US 65...however, US 65 is not signed anywhere along that route.

I-57 is the best option for 67, as it would connect Little Rock with St. Louis, connect Little Rock with Chicago, and not defy any interstate system rules in the process. If you look at a map, it's the most logical thing to do. It would fit very well.

A lesser possibility would be an I-40 Spur.

Oh, and 67 is not being expanded toward Jonesboro. They've already upgraded to interstate quality and built a loop around Walnut Ridge. It's not complete between Newport and Walnut Ridge, but they are working on it. It almost looks like you're in a big city when in Walnute Ridge, the way they have the loop done. There are a few high bridges. If anything, they will build a connector between 67 and Jonesboro, probably along AR 226, which is a str8 stretch over to Jonesboro from 67. The chamber of ccmmerce is stupid for suggesting I-730, because there is no way I-30 can cross over I-40...just no way.

2 west-east interstates cannot cross paths, that would defy the interstate system rules.

Only a north-south interstate and a west-east interstate can cross paths.

The chamber of ccmmerce is stupid for suggesting I-730, because there is no way I-30 can cross over I-40...just no way.

East/west interstates regularly cross paths, the same as north/south interstates. Diagonals are definitely permitted in the interstate system. There are dozens of examples if you need one.

I do agree, though, that a connection to I-57 is the best option for 67, with an eventual connection through LR replacing I-530 down to Dumas (and maybe further south to Louisiana). Of course, $$$.

Well, honestly I think the only reason I-30 is I-30 is because it runs east-west in Texas. If it wasn't for that, it could be I-31. I really think that it is dumb to sign U.S.67 I-30 for the simple fact that it runs more north-south than east-west. Besides, it would just add to the list of roads here in Arkansas that are backwards anyway.

and I-69 would be a complete impossibility. it'll cross 65, 55, 49, 45, 37, 35, etc.

True. Lots of East-West or North-South highways run diagonally for a portion (NW, SE, etc) or even run contrary to their natural direction for a while. Hell, in Little Rock I-30 basically runs SW to NE to terminate at I-40, which I guess it's not supposed to be able to do, right?

Oh, and 67 is not being expanded toward Jonesboro. They've already upgraded to interstate quality and built a loop around Walnut Ridge. It's not complete between Newport and Walnut Ridge, but they are working on it. It almost looks like you're in a big city when in Walnute Ridge, the way they have the loop done. There are a few high bridges. If anything, they will build a connector between 67 and Jonesboro, probably along AR 226, which is a str8 stretch over to Jonesboro from 67. The chamber of ccmmerce is stupid for suggesting I-730, because there is no way I-30 can cross over I-40...just no way.

Right-- extension of the hwy 67 freeway will basically follow the existing hwy 67 into MO. And there is no planned funding for finishing it past Walnut Ridge. I have never heard of any significant political support for it at the state or federal level, as I-69 and I-49, among other corridors, have much higher priority.

If a north-south interstate crosses another north-south interstate, as 57 would cross 55...57 would still continue as a north-south interstate. I-30 only runs a true west-east in Texas, once in AR, it runs more north, than east. If it were to cross I-40, it would not continue past that point as west-east. I believe the exception to the rule is that one direction can cross the other, as long as it will continue in the direction of the signed interstate...but I could be a little off on that. In any case, siging it I-30 would be rediculous, as it's already weird enough to have a west-east signed interstate going more north than east in AR. The purpose of I-30 was to connect DFW with Little Rock, and I-40....there is no need to extend it past that point...it would serve no purpose. Besides, even if it could be resigned I-30...it would have to still connect to I-55 for that to happen. It cannot connect to a spur, like I-555 coming up from Jonesboro. That wouldn't make much sense anyway. It can't just end...it would have to connect with another interstate. So, again...I-57 is the most logical way to go.

Well, I know I'm probrably late on this, but has anyone besides me noticed that there are some new solar signs going up over the interstates in Little Rock? Are they trying to make the city more urban like St.Louis or Dallas? I believe this is very cool for traffic and construction updates. I have seen them on all the interstates including I-40, I-440, I-30, I-430, and I think I-630 and maybe I-530. They aren't on yet as far as I know.

Well, I know I'm probrably late on this, but has anyone besides me noticed that there are some new solar signs going up over the interstates in Little Rock? Are they trying to make the city more urban like St.Louis or Dallas? I believe this is very cool for traffic and construction updates. I have seen them on all the interstates including I-40, I-440, I-30, I-430, and I think I-630 and maybe I-530. They aren't on yet as far as I know.

I've seen more in LR than Dallas.

Well, yeah. So does anyone know when they are going to turn them on?

By solar signs, I'm assuming you're referring to the electronic messege signs? To my understanding, they should be ready any day now... but I was told that a few months ago. They should be operational soon.

Archived