Little Rock Highways

Rardy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I know I'm probrably late on this, but has anyone besides me noticed that there are some new solar signs going up over the interstates in Little Rock? Are they trying to make the city more urban like St.Louis or Dallas? I believe this is very cool for traffic and construction updates. I have seen them on all the interstates including I-40, I-440, I-30, I-430, and I think I-630 and maybe I-530. They aren't on yet as far as I know.

If I remember correctly, those signs are a part of the Arkansas Chemical Stockpile Emergency Preparedness Program (CSEPP). I think the plan is to use them for a variety of purposes -- construction updates, Amber alerts, etc. -- but as I understand it, they were paid for by CSEPP and are primarily to be used for displaying information in the event of an emergency at the Pine Bluff Arsenal.

I would love to see AHTD use marquee signs to display traffic updates -- construction, accidents ahead, etc. However, they have a network of signs in place now in construction zones that they almost never use. In the I-40 construction zone in North Little Rock, the AHTD has eight lighted display signs that almost no one pays attention to because they almost always say "BUCKLE UP, DRIVE SAFELY."

• 5 weeks later...

Today's paper had an article about the mesage boards. The second phase of this will begin. As has been said, they are being paid for by federal money as evacuation route warnings for the Pine Bluff Arsenal. However, they will also be used for major traffic incidents, road closures, and Amber Alerts. In 15 years the weapons will be completely incinerated and we keep the signs after that.

They could prove pretty useful in managing traffic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The North Belt Freeway's new route will be opposed by the same group of residents that got the route changed in 1994. Sigh.

This thing may be pushed back ad infinitum.

The North Belt Freeway's route has now been chosen by the federal government and is set in stone. It will have exits in Oak Grove, adjacent to Camp Robinson/Gravel Ridge, and Sherwood.

The North Belt Freeway's route has now been chosen by the federal government and is set in stone. It will have exits in Oak Grove, adjacent to Camp Robinson/Gravel Ridge, and Sherwood.

I wonder what highway designation it will receive, since essentially I-440 and I-430 will then be connected?

Strangely, the section of I-440 between I-40 and 167 is given a state highway designation. I was told this had to be the case b/c any highway section ending or connecting to a state highway (167) had to receive a state highway designation (as such, its a national Freeway designation between I-40 and I-30). I don't quite follow this logic, but anyway that won't be the case when its completed.

I wonder what highway designation it will receive, since essentially I-440 and I-430 will then be connected?

Strangely, the section of I-440 between I-40 and 167 is given a state highway designation. I was told this had to be the case b/c any highway section ending or connecting to a state highway (167) had to receive a state highway designation (as such, its a national Freeway designation between I-40 and I-30). I don't quite follow this logic, but anyway that won't be the case when its completed.

It'll either be 430 or 440.

I've never seen a state highway numbered like an interstate like that. It's obvious the reason is that it will be added to the loop.

When 65/165 became I-530 and 71 became I-540 they didn't have state designations first.

I-540 actually was dubbed AR 540 for a few years before it was completed. I'm assuming that's because it was not intended to be a relocation of US 71, but a new roadway entirely. If you have a copy of the 1998 AHTD tourist map, you can see it on there.

ftp://www.ahtd.state.ar.us/outgoing/Tourist_Maps/1998.tif

I think I've seen this in other states, but I can't remember so maybe I haven't.

67/167 is a federal highway, so AR-440 doesn't end or connect with a state highway -- one end is a federal highway the other is an interstate highway. (It *crosses* AR-161... but if that counted, every road would have to be a state highway, it would seem.)

My understanding is that there are certain regulations that must be met to be considered an "interstate." Until those qualifications are met... the highway must be labeled something else (i.e. US-65 became I-530 and AR-540 became I-540). I imagine that in an effort to cut down on confusion, the AHTD named the new section AR-440 to match I-440. In fact, I doubt the average motorist knows the difference -- which is probably their objective. The AHTD is doing the same thing in Drew County where a two-lane segment of what will eventually be I-530 has been named AR-530.

• 2 years later...

Short write up about the North Belt Freeway/I-440 extension in today's DemGaz:

DRIVETIME MAHATMA: I-440 loop sorting out suit, access

LITTLE ROCK — Dear Mahatma: What happened to the planned northwest loop through north Pulaski County from U.S. 67/167 to Interstate 40?

- Horseshoe Bend.

Dear Horseshoe: The project is still active, reports the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department. The agency is acquiring the right of way for the crossing point at Arkansas 107. After which more right of way acquisition. After which design and build.

The highway was approved in 2008 by the Federal Highway Administration. The cost, as previously reported in this newspaper, is $300 million for the 12.7-mile, four-lane divided route.

Complicating matters is a lawsuit filed two years ago, March 25, 2009. The lawsuit - Sherwood Land Company and Deere Properties v. the City of Sherwood - was filed in Pulaski County Circuit Court. It alleges an illegal taking of land by the city.

The lawsuit seeks just compensation. About 600 acres owned by the plaintiffs are in the path of the proposed highway.

A check of the court docket shows no trial date.

What's questionable to me is the plans to construct this is a 4 lane highway instead of a 6 lane.

Why? Every other freeway in Central Ark is 6 lanes. Is this a tactic by Metroplan to halt any additional widening of freeways in Little Rock and force greener alternatives because of their policy of no expansion beyond 6 lanes until "ALL" freeways are 6 lanes?

Since this will be built 4 lanes ... there would never be any hope, within their current policy, of seeing I-30 through downtown or the remainder of 630 or portions of 430 widened to 8 lanes... .at least for another 20 or so years. If you're going to build it ... BUILD IT.

Wow! I didn't know it was going to be just 4 lanes. I thought it would continue as 6 lanes from 67 to 40 like it is in the opposite direction on 440 headed toward the airport. It's kind of a waste of time, but a least it's going to be built. It'll cut travel time and traffic congestion probably by half (wild guess).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From todays (6/18) DemGaz:

A couple of grumpy letters have poured in about Interstate 530 between Little Rock and Pine Bluff. We’ll paraphrase: Gosh, but I-530 sure has lots of potholes and ridges and rough edges. Any chance of getting it fixed? May the wind be at your back.

The answer comes from the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department. A project is planned to reconstruct 7.5 miles of I-530 near Redfield. The job is programmed, which means a date has not yet been set. Estimated cost is $31 million.

When? At the end of 2011. But that’s not set in concrete. Ha-ha!

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/jun/18/drivetime-mahatma-20110618/

Wow! I didn't know it was going to be just 4 lanes. I thought it would continue as 6 lanes from 67 to 40 like it is in the opposite direction on 440 headed toward the airport. It's kind of a waste of time, but a least it's going to be built. It'll cut travel time and traffic congestion probably by half (wild guess).

It seems to me there is not enough density on that side of the metro to really support a 6-lane highway. It surprises me they are even building it at all, considering the shape the economy is in. The only advantage I can see to a North Belt freeway is it will shorten the commute from Jacksonville to West Little Rock.

It seems to me there is not enough density on that side of the metro to really support a 6-lane highway. It surprises me they are even building it at all, considering the shape the economy is in. The only advantage I can see to a North Belt freeway is it will shorten the commute from Jacksonville to West Little Rock.

Maybe not now but wouldn't it make financial sense to go ahead and build six lanes now rather than wait 10 years and have to expand it from four lanes?

• 1 month later...

http://www.todaysthv...-Rock-to-Conway

Any chance they will make the expansion a carpool lane? I still can't believe that NWA or Central Arkansas is void of carpool/bus lanes. Makes me sad.

I hope not.  I can see the need for an HOV lane during peak travel times if it were expanded to 8 lanes.. but this is designed to reduce congestion and placing HOV restrictions on a new third lane would not do that.  The only restriction we need is the same as I-30; keep trucks to 2 right lanes.

I agree. HOV lanes are an inefficient use of expensive highway space unless you're in a dense enough market that the lane is justifiable all the time. In NWA and Central AR, there's simply too little justification for it at this point. When the highways are only 2-3 lanes on each side, adding an HOV lane isn't going to impact traffic flow near as much as adding another full flow (car only) lane. I don't know of any metro this small with HOV lanes on roads as small as these interstates- when I think HOV I think Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. You've got 6-8 lanes in each direction that are gridlocked/very congested already, so the HOV lane is a pretty big incentive to carpool if possible but I don't see it being a good use of money here (yet).

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like there are places where the HOV lane is used only during the 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. peak periods but the lane is otherwise open to all at any other time. Add a third lane from Conway to Little Rock and make it the HOV lane during peak periods. Designate one of the lanes from Benton as an HOV lane during the peak time. I don't see how something like that would not work here. I'm all for HOV lanes...even in a "small market" like this.

It seems like there are places where the HOV lane is used only during the 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. peak periods but the lane is otherwise open to all at any other time.   Add a third lane from Conway to Little Rock and make it the HOV lane during peak periods.  Designate one of the lanes from Benton as an HOV lane during the peak time.  I don't see how something like that would not work here.  I'm all for HOV lanes...even in a "small market" like this.

Enforcing it is the difficult part. Most HOV lanes are physically divided from the regular flow of traffic, which is effective at keeping people stuck in traffic that don't see a cop around from jumping in and out of the HOV lanes, but without the expense of a physically separated lane with the infrastructure problems that come along with that related to exits and interchanges, all you're really doing is adding paint to the 3rd lane of interstate designating it as HOV and adding signs saying what hours it is in effect. I'm not saying that's a bad option necessarily, but it'd be nearly unenforceable and would likely do more to confuse people passing through on 40 than anything. I think an extra lane that is labeled not to be open to truck traffic is the easiest solution for a metro this small, especially since the HOV lane would only be useful (and I somewhat doubt it'd even be useful then) at very narrow time windows. HOV lanes are great when it encourages people to carpool in crowded metros with traffic problems, but I don't see it helping much of anything here.

Enforcing it is the difficult part. Most HOV lanes are physically divided from the regular flow of traffic, which is effective at keeping people stuck in traffic that don't see a cop around from jumping in and out of the HOV lanes, but without the expense of a physically separated lane with the infrastructure problems that come along with that related to exits and interchanges, all you're really doing is adding paint to the 3rd lane of interstate designating it as HOV and adding signs saying what hours it is in effect. I'm not saying that's a bad option necessarily, but it'd be nearly unenforceable and would likely do more to confuse people passing through on 40 than anything. I think an extra lane that is labeled not to be open to truck traffic is the easiest solution for a metro this small, especially since the HOV lane would only be useful (and I somewhat doubt it'd even be useful then) at very narrow time windows. HOV lanes are great when it encourages people to carpool in crowded metros with traffic problems, but I don't see it helping much of anything here.

Actually, most HOV lanes I've seen in SoCal and Atlanta are just open lanes with double-white line designations (meaning do NOT cross except where dashed)...in fact, my father-in-law got a ticket in LA for crossing the double-white line. So yes, it's enforced.

Archived