Concord, NC

Neo

I went to downtown Concord, NC this past weekend to try out a new lens I purchased just a few days ago (Nikon 17-55mm 2.8) and wanted to share some of them with you guys as it is a town not often seen:

235942456_2279e1c6d3.jpg

Memorial Gardens (gardens/cemetary)

235942896_74d9d2a9a2.jpg

235944579_c175513211.jpg

235945433_767a277b4f.jpg

New Concord Police HQ:

235946648_c2a249b143.jpg

235954147_4bb3fc05e1.jpg

235946948_08b1960c66.jpg

235947174_cbea6d90de.jpg

Notice the bus stop. This is a system independent from CATS (Charlotte's transit system)

235947545_02b0aab497.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting those pictures. They're beautiful. I love downtown Concord, as well as the homes lining Union Street as you approach. I would love to live in one of the Union Street homes, even if the jail is being built just up the road. I took a bunch of pictures of that area, as well as to downtown Kannapolis and around Harrisburg, a couple of months back but never got around to posting them, so it's good to see some pictures of the area posted on here. Like voyager12 said, most people think of Concord simply as the area around the speedway and Concord Mills, but I think the downtown area is really neat. Hopefully the redevelopment projects going on around there, like the one going on at the old Cabarrus Creamery and Coke bottling plant, will make the area even better.

great photos! concord seems to have done a great job in preserving it's history... everything looks restored. is mullis' guitar shop still there? i used to go up there alot about 12 years ago... great prices on music equipment... some of the best vintage guitars around.

great photos! concord seems to have done a great job in preserving it's history... everything looks restored. is mullis' guitar shop still there? i used to go up there alot about 12 years ago... great prices on music equipment... some of the best vintage guitars around.

I'm not sure if it is or not. I only recently moved to Concord and this is the first time I've really had a chance to walk around downtown. There is a lot of use of the buildings in downtown however, so it has weathered well in keeping history and economic development. Not much in terms of new development that isn't governmental but it is a quaint downtown.

Those are great pics, Neo. Thank you. Its funny, when I think of Concord all that pops into my head is Concord Mills and Nascar as if nothing else exists up there. I don't even know how to get to the downtown area.

Ahh that's interesting that you mention this as it isn't really obvious how to get to downtown Concord since none of the major roads in the city go through it. It's a great place to visit expecially if you like old victorian homes as the former residences of the owners and high ups of the former Cannon Mills are located there. It would be nice, one day, if a commuter rail train could go there. Concord and Kannapolis don't really get the attention they deserve sometimes but there are a lot of interesting places in both cities.

Great photos Mr. D! Looks as if the new lense is working out for you for sure.

Yea, mullis is still open. I remember buying my first electric guitar there when I was 16. I still have it somewhere, it should be vintage by now.

I remember going to Cabarrus Cremery when I was younger before and after they moved further into the core of downtown Concord. There was always a line (although I think I remember that they would usually close down nov-feb every year.)

The houses along Union and Church Streets are amazing. Concord really has a way of preserving its history. There hasn't really been that much restoration work on a grand scale as the buildings have only been occasionally 'spruced' up. Luckily downtown Concord has never been neglected and only had a rough patch when Concord Mills first opened but has recently seen a lot of new interest. The streets have recently been upgraded with modern crosswalks, a few traffic circles, and improved brick sidewalks/landscaping.

I'm glad that all the new growth is curbed far away from the downtown. Unfortunately, the downside to this expansive growth is the lack of a true city center. Downtown is up closer to Kannapolis while CM is near UC. Concord is one of the most diverse and unique towns I have ever had the pleasure of living in.

Archived