Bush admits keeping prisoners in secret prisons

Snowguy716

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/06/bus...eech/index.html

He said the locations of the prisons would remain secret and that torture has not been authorized as a means to acquire intelligence.

I think it's good that he admitted to it... but he is trying desparately to spin this in his favor by using words like "innocent Americans" and doing this to prevent THEM from hurting US.

Same sh*t, different cow.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assumed everyone already knew that the administration is operating so called "secret prisons" for terror suspects.

If it is found out for certain that torture has taken place EVEN ONCE in one of those prisons, I hope the American people rise up in outrage!

Torture is the antithesis of what my country is all about. Maybe Bushie just doesn't get it--get what America is supposed to stand for.

I assumed everyone already knew that the administration is operating so called "secret prisons" for terror suspects.

If it is found out for certain that torture has taken place EVEN ONCE in one of those prisons, I hope the American people rise up in outrage!

Torture is the antithesis of what my country is all about. Maybe Bushie just doesn't get it--get what America is supposed to stand for.

Haha, don't just jump the gun and assume that there's torture going on. Though I wouldn't doubt it if there was. But, as slight as it may be, there's always a chance it's not occuring.

Bush is already using words like "alternative" methods of gathering intelligence. This screams one word: Torture. And it's sick.

If Bush is ever found of approving torture, he should goto prison and should pay restitution to any torture victim.

pay restitution to a terror suspect? right... i mean, even if they aren't a terrorist, they were doing something bad to put themselves into the scrutiny, right?

A torture victim is a torture victim.

If they are found guilty of terroristic activities from evidence not brought forth by torture, and they were tortured, the restitution should go to humanitarian organizations. We need to kick this habit of "guilty until proven innocent" that seems to grip our nation today.

Justice is justice, whether it fits the buzzwords of the day or not.

Even if someone kills 1000 people, they should not be tortured.

Torture is possibly the lowest form of human activity. It must never be condoned or even partially accepted. If we torture prisoners, we make ourselves even lower than the terrorists.

Look at Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, etc. These countries tie convicted people to posts and whip them in public. And this isn't like a whipping ya got from your dad. This is potentially life threatening stuff. This is torture.

We should never ever ever allow our country to be comparable to countries that treat human beings like this.

Haha, don't just jump the gun and assume that there's torture going on. Though I wouldn't doubt it if there was. But, as slight as it may be, there's always a chance it's not occuring.

Torture has already been proven, in numerous cases. The only reason Bush is admitting the existence of these programs is that he knows he can't deny what has been so thoroughly documented: That there are secret prisons run by the US where torture takes place. Notice all the new measures and restrictions meant to pay lip service to the idea of banning torture.

pay restitution to a terror suspect? right... i mean, even if they aren't a terrorist, they were doing something bad to put themselves into the scrutiny, right?

Not necessarily. There are stories of US troops rounding up virtually the entire adult male populations of towns and shipping them off to prisons, in an effort to prevent insurgent attacks. Who knows what happened to these innocents in places like Abu Ghraib?

I read that Bush is proposing that tribunal courts be able to impose the death penalty while using secret testimony.

4 JAG Generals have spoken out against this.

Scary.

i'm sorry, but the death penalty should never be imposed upon someone who is testified against in complete secrecy.

i don't agree with secret anything. even the military shoudl not have their own court system for putting their men on trial. they either get off really easily or really harshly there. no middle ground. why not put everyone through the normal american justice system and have everything on public record? the public deserves to know and has the right to know. after all... we elect and pay these people's salaries.

Archived