New Hampshire Seacoast

Carter711

Here's a little tour around three towns along the NH Seacoast; Exeter, tiny New Castle, and the 'hub' of the region Portsmouth. I tried to throw in some 'did you know' facts to spice it up. I hope you like the area.

Exeter

Largely overshadowed by nearby Portsmouth, Exeter is a pretty nice place itself. Exeter was the capital of NH during the Revolutionary War, and has a very walkable downtown with great waterfront access. Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code, calls Exeter home. Exeter is also home to Phillips Exeter Academy, a particularly elite prep school whose $1 billion endowment is by far the largest of any such school in the nation. Life at the academy is chronicled in the fictional 1954 literary classic A Separate Peace by John Knowles, an Exeter alumnus.

porty010.jpg

phillipsexeter014.jpg

porty013.jpg

porty007.jpg

porty055.jpg

porty058.jpg

Exeter is home to an American Independance Museum, one of 9 around the country. This yellow building, which is part of the museum, served as NH's Treasury during the Revolutionary War

porty036.jpg

Exeter Town Hall cupola

porty017.jpg

porty064.jpg

porty008.jpg

Exeter Farmers Market

porty023.jpg

porty025.jpg

porty026.jpg

porty033.jpg

porty066.jpg

Downtown Exeter has great waterfront access, where two rivers merge and then flow down a series of falls into Great Bay.

porty067.jpg

porty002.jpg

porty004.jpg

96ba2473.jpg

porty037.jpg

porty072.jpg

porty070.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a couple shots around the Academy, which unfortunately was undergoing a lot of work when I was there.

phillipsexeter001.jpg

phillipsexeter017.jpg

phillipsexeter023.jpg

phillipsexeter018.jpg

Drive up the Coast

A drive up Route 1A towards New Castle and Portsmouth

porty079.jpg

porty097.jpg

porty085.jpg

porty092.jpg

Also known as Ocean Blvd., Route 1A has some enormous, and unusual homes.

porty083.jpg

porty088.jpg

porty090.jpg

New Castle

New Castle is a tiny town nestled entirely on islands in Portsmouth Harbor. It

Portsmouth

Settled in 1623, Portsmouth is the third oldest city in the country, behind only Jamestown and Plymouth. In Colonial times Portsmouth was a big shipbuilding port, and remains the hub of the seacoast today, with a hopping downtown, vibrant restaurant and nightlife scene and a large high tech presence. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, the oldest in the country, was recently saved from closure.

Portsmouth Waterfront

picturesport068-1.jpg

picturesport074-2.jpg

picturesport076.jpg

picturesport073.jpg

p-mouth093-1.jpg

picturesport067.jpg

picturesport072-1.jpg

picturesport087.jpg

p-mouth094.jpg

picturesport111.jpg

Historic District

p-mouth015.jpg

p-mouth018.jpg

porty138.jpg

porty151.jpg

porty148.jpg

porty149.jpg

porty150.jpg

porty180.jpg

porty181.jpg

porty176.jpg

porty195.jpg

New Development

This new mixed-use development on Market Square is beginning to open, a bakery and coffee-shop has already opened in one storefront.

porty210.jpg

The new Hilton complex opened in June

p-mouth074.jpg

p-mouth075.jpg

A new 6 story mixed use structure is going in on one of the only vacant lots left on the waterfront

copy72.jpg

These two pubs, The Press Room and the Rusty Hammer, have been around forever.

p-mouth098.jpg

picturesport122.jpg

Finally, some Portsmouth's waterfront dining/drinking options

picturesport127.jpg

porty231.jpg

porty227.jpg

First, I'd like to say: Great Pictures. Portsmouth is, by far, the nicest city in NH. Manchester wishes it had Portsmouth's downtown energy.

Secondly, it should be noted the naval facilities are in Kittery, Maine.

Yes, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, while in Portsmouth Harbor, is technically in Kittery which is on the other side of the harbor. Though this has been part of a very long-running border dispute, which made its way all the way to the Supreme Court a few years ago. NH has long claimed the Maine border starts at the northern shore of the harbor, placing the entire harbor and its islands in NH. The Court sided with Maine.

Later, a NH legislator filed a bill annexing all of Kittery and Berwick, Maine, which prompted a Maine legislator to file a bill annexing the entire Portsmouth metro area. :huh:

N.H.-Maine border disputes take comic turn

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.d...27006/-1/news02

Yes, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, while in Portsmouth Harbor, is technically in Kittery which is on the other side of the harbor.

Of course, every single town, county and state border is a man-made creation and while you can say the shipyard is "technically" in Kittery, you could also say that Portsmouth is "technically" in NH. I don't mean to nitpick, but the shipyard isn't technically in Kittery, it IS in Kittery.

Of course, every single town, county and state border is a man-made creation and while you can say the shipyard is "technically" in Kittery, you could also say that Portsmouth is "technically" in NH. I don't mean to nitpick, but the shipyard isn't technically in Kittery, it IS in Kittery.

Trust me. You're nitpicking. It's possible that materials used in the new Market St. development might be from Kittery. I should also note that that little bit of light you see in the picture of the restaurant deck - that's Kittery as well. There might even be Kittery people eating there :shok: Satisfied yet?

Is it such a huge issue that you just had to chime in. The PORTSMOUTH Naval Shipyard is all of 100 yards away on an island in PORTSMOUTH Harbor. You see it all the time in Portsmouth. It's part of the fabric of the city, and the area. And the border itself is in dispute. I didn't travel miles up the Maine coast to take pictures of it, but from a bench right in Portsmouth. I think I can include it among dozens of other Portsmouth pics without being disingenuous.

Doesn't matter where you can see it from. Some of the best views of Manhattan are from New Jersey.

The only way you can drive to the PORTSMOUTH Naval Shipyard is by going to Maine, which makes sense since it IS in Maine.

The border is not in dispute, unless you spend any time at the NH capitol in Concord.

Archived