College Football vs. NFL

JDC

^That's certainly a good point about the smaller bowls. Still, I would like to find a way to really bump up the already prestigious bowls to a level of greater importance, like determining who plays in the championship game, instead of just having them later than the rest of the bowls. I would be all for a system where we could keep the smaller bowls if we could really add some more intensity and importance to the larger bowls. :thumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^That's certainly a good point about the smaller bowls. Still, I would like to find a way to really bump up the already prestigious bowls to a level of greater importance, like determining who plays in the championship game, instead of just having them later than the rest of the bowls. I would be all for a system where we could keep the smaller bowls if we could really add some more intensity and importance to the larger bowls. :thumbsup:

And the stinkin' Chick-fil-A Bowl...... :rolleyes: it will always be the Peach Bowl to me. Then there is the silly Continental Tire Bowl; MPC Computer Bowl, etc. I gue$$ $money rules these days.

The fact that there are 32 Bowl games.... that means 64 teams go to bowls; over 1/2 (50%) teams out of 119 1-A College Teams; that's TOO MUCH!! I love College Football as much as anybody, but I have a hard time believing a 6-6 record should be rewarded with a Bowl Game. 25 Bowl Games (Top 50 teams) is plenty!!!

I like yall's ideas and agree...the 1 thru 8 format would be BEST :thumbsup: Rotate the Bowl's if they like.

And the stinkin' Chick-fil-A Bowl...... :rolleyes: it will always be the Peach Bowl to me. Then there is the silly Continental Tire Bowl; MPC Computer Bowl, etc. I gue$$ $money rules these days.

The fact that there are 32 Bowl games.... that means 64 teams go to bowls; over 1/2 (50%) teams out of 119 1-A College Teams; that's TOO MUCH!! I love College Football as much as anybody, but I have a hard time believing a 6-6 record should be rewarded with a Bowl Game. 25 Bowl Games (Top 50 teams) is plenty!!!

I like yall's ideas and agree...the 1 thru 8 format would be BEST :thumbsup: Rotate the Bowl's if they like.

The NCAA has ways to decrease the number of bowls. The NCAA simply has to raise the minimum amount of money that is handed out to each participating team. If anyone remembers the Cherry Bowl, that is why it wnet under. It could not make the payment obligations to the teams that participated and was forced to fold. It was in the Silverdome. I guess that the teams were paid the first year, but the two teams that played the second and final year, Maryland and Syracuse were never paid to participate because the bowl couldn't meet expenses. At present, bowls are required to pay out $750K to each team as a minimum. The NCAA could raise the minumu pay out to $900K and I am certain that the number of bowls would decrease without moving to make any other changes in the bowl setup.

The NCAA has ways to decrease the number of bowls. The NCAA simply has to raise the minimum amount of money that is handed out to each participating team. If anyone remembers the Cherry Bowl, that is why it wnet under. It could not make the payment obligations to the teams that participated and was forced to fold. It was in the Silverdome. I guess that the teams were paid the first year, but the two teams that played the second and final year, Maryland and Syracuse were never paid to participate because the bowl couldn't meet expenses. At present, bowls are required to pay out $750K to each team as a minimum. The NCAA could raise the minumu pay out to $900K and I am certain that the number of bowls would decrease without moving to make any other changes in the bowl setup.

Just curious...if some of these lesser bowls have trouble getting 30,000 fans in the stands, how much could a team $profit??

Dgreco, are you saying they drop back down to 1AA?? Like Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, Furman, Deleware, Montana, etc?? Or are you saying drop the entire program itself??

Just curious...if some of these lesser bowls have trouble getting 30,000 fans in the stands, how much could a team $profit??

Dgreco, are you saying they drop back down to 1AA?? Like Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, Furman, Deleware, Montana, etc?? Or are you saying drop the entire program itself??

Archived