College Football vs. NFL

JDC

college football needs a playoff because the best team dont always win the title!(auburn) the ncaa goes on reputation, tradition and a computer to figure out who plays in the bcs bowls. let the top 10 teams have a playoff during the christmas season. each round of the playoff be a bowl game(orange, rose, gator and fedex ect). i like the nfl but too much drama cause of the media coverage.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, this is a good topic. I like college football, UGA, Georgia Tech and USC are who I typically cheer for. But I just watch those games for the entertainment value. I really don't get into the season at all because I just don't understand how they rank the teams, and really, it just seems like too much mental exercise on the weekend.

Now, the Atlanta Falcons, on the other hand, if they would ever actually win, I could really get behind them (as I did in 99).

In short, college is more fun to watch (and the cheerleaders look better) and NFL is more fun to follow. And like Raleightransplant said, I enjoy watching a good college football game on Saturday night because I can drink and I'm not worried about the week. Sundays just remind me of Monday for some reason. You could probably psychoanalyze that...... :(

Also, I think the reason college football is huge in the South is because before the Falcons we didn't really have a pro team to cheer for. So everyone just kind of got behind the colleges.......

college football needs a playoff because the best team dont always win the title!(auburn) the ncaa goes on reputation, tradition and a computer to figure out who plays in the bcs bowls. let the top 10 teams have a playoff during the christmas season. each round of the playoff be a bowl game(orange, rose, gator and fedex ect). i like the nfl but too much drama cause of the media coverage.

lol. People actually think playoffs in college would work? If it's an 8 team playoff then the 9th and 10th place teams would complain and so on. Only thing that would happen is that the tradition would become even more ruined than it is under the BSC now.

I said the top ten will be in the playoff...if you are not in the top ten by the time the playoff start you dont deserve to play. how would it mess up tradition? cause the best team will win? cause the SEC would have 3 to 4 teams in the playoffs? Oh Well! Im tired of teams like USC always in position to play for the championship cause beat up on soft teams in there conference!

I think that if you have a playoff in December you would pretty much ruin the New Year's Bowl game tradition. I admit that its pretty watered down already with commercial sponsoring nonsense, but I still look forward to a whole day of important college football games that act as a grand finale to the season. A playoff eliminates some of the controversy, but the teams who make it would still be based on rankings, which by their very nature are not going to be fair. If you have a 9-2 Oregon at #15, but 9-2 Notre Dame at #6, is pretty much impossible to say which team is really better. Strong arguments could probably be made for both sides.

jungletobacco, I have to say that USC's schedule is not that easy (but I admit I'm biased). They have to play everyone in Pac-10, And instead of hanging 70 points on some I-AA school the first 2 weeks they played (and whooped) Arkansas, who just clobbered #2 Auburn, and Nebraska. Not to mention they play Notre Dame, too.

I would say every year, on average, most big schools have two or three really tough opponents, two or three marginally tough ones, and half a dozen cupcakes where they win easily.

I said the top ten will be in the playoff...if you are not in the top ten by the time the playoff start you dont deserve to play. how would it mess up tradition? cause the best team will win? cause the SEC would have 3 to 4 teams in the playoffs? Oh Well! Im tired of teams like USC always in position to play for the championship cause beat up on soft teams in there conference!

Who picks the ten teams? A subjective system wouldn't work. It works ok with 65 bball teams, but not football. Now if there was a setup where the conference winners would play each other and the conferences where somewhat comparable then it would work.

Who picks the ten teams? A subjective system wouldn't work. It works ok with 65 bball teams, but not football. Now if there was a setup where the conference winners would play each other and the conferences where somewhat comparable then it would work.

• 6 months later...

I prefer college football.

In the NFL, there really aren't upsets. Sure Houston over Indianapolis was unexpected, but did absolutely nothing to the outcome of the season and had no affect on other teams. In college, upsets are the best. Nothing like seeing UCLA beat USC and ruin the Trojans championship hopes. I also like how even if they don't make the championship game, your team can still win the last game of the season and have it mean something. Even if an NFL stadium had 110,000 capacity, they aren't going to fill it up.

You can't possibly sit there and say that the Texas vs. USC Rose Bowl Game was worse than a Super Bowl game. NFL games are incredibly predictable.

I prefer college football.

In the NFL, there really aren't upsets. Sure Houston over Indianapolis was unexpected, but did absolutely nothing to the outcome of the season and had no affect on other teams. In college, upsets are the best. Nothing like seeing UCLA beat USC and ruin the Trojans championship hopes. I also like how even if they don't make the championship game, your team can still win the last game of the season and have it mean something. Even if an NFL stadium had 110,000 capacity, they aren't going to fill it up.

You can't possibly sit there and say that the Texas vs. USC Rose Bowl Game was worse than a Super Bowl game. NFL games are incredibly predictable.

As an alumni of Ohio State I prefer college football much more. Nothing beats a Sat at a major college game, especially in Columbus. You start tailgating at like 9:00 AM, get into the stadium just as the band is marching onto the field, and root on your team to victory, then come back and continue tailgating and celebrating the great day you and your friends just had. The kids who are playing are playing for the love of the game, not a million dollar paycheck, so they play much more passionately, every game is extremely important (1 loss nearly ends any chance for a national title, and 2 losses completely does), so every game is played extremely hard. Upsets are extremely important b/c they end a teams title hopes.

Also, nothing beats the traditions like "The 12th Man @ Tex A&M", "Touching the Play like a Champion Today @ Notre Shame", "Script OHIO @ Ohio State", "Rocky Top @ Tennessee", "USC Song Girls @ Southern Cal", or "Touching the Rock @ Clemson". The stadiums are all much larger and much louder than any in the NFL. Not 1 NFL stadium seats over 80,000. Arrowhead is the largest I think, and it is about 78,000. The following college stadiums are bigger: Michigan Stadium 108,501, Beaver Stadium (PSU) 107,200, Neyland Stadium (Ten) 105,000, Ohio Stadium (The Horseshoe, Ohio State) 103,000, Rose Bowl (UCLA) 94000, The Coliseum (USC) 93000, Death Valley (LSU) 92000, Sanford Stadium (Georgia) 92000, Kyle Field (Tex A&M) 86000, Jordan Haire Stadium (Aub) 85000, Florida Field (Florida) 85000, Royal Texas Stadium (Texas) 83000, Bryant Denny Stadium (Alabama) 83000, Camp Randall Stadium (Wisconsin) 82000, Oklahoma's Stadium 82000, Notre Dame Stadium 82000, Florida State's Stadium 81000, and S. Carolina's Stadium 81000. Some of these may be a little off, but that's besides the point, no NFL stadiums even come close to these places.

Fans are much more passionate about their college teams too. I know when my Buckeyes weren't doing to well from 1999-2001, I was still going to the games and taking time to watch them when they were on the road. But, the as soon as the Browns are out of it, I stop even caring to watch them and only watch the games that involve the good teams. Heck, S. Carolina's team has never been good, yet, I hear that place always is sold out. College fans are just more passionate, which makes the games much better.

Anyways, I do wish college football had an 8 team playoff, but even w/out it, it is a better game. Go Bucks, and Go College Football.

I'm not an Ohio State fan, but script ohio is one of the coolest traditions in all of sports. College football has the tradition, passion, and pageantry that makes it a blast. Nothing can beat the atmosphere of a Saturday where there is a game between Michigan and Ohio State, or any other big-time college rivalry. I have the perfect format for a playoff, but unfortunately I'm not a BCS conference commissioner. :(

I'm not an Ohio State fan, but script ohio is one of the coolest traditions in all of sports. College football has the tradition, passion, and pageantry that makes it a blast. Nothing can beat the atmosphere of a Saturday where there is a game between Michigan and Ohio State, or any other big-time college rivalry. I have the perfect format for a playoff, but unfortunately I'm not a BCS conference commissioner. :(

I think any big time college football fan has a better plan for playoffs than the BC$ has. I am of the opinion, to cut the regular season back to 11 games, play all your conference teams (10 games for Big 10), then the start an 8 team playoff the 2nd weekend of December. Take the 6 BCS conference champions, and the other 2 highest ranked teams. Seed them 1-8, (the 2 non-champs get seeded 7 & 8), & game 1, play at the home stadium of the higher seeded teams, then the semifinals, choose 2 BCS bowl sites (make it as neutral as possible) for the 3rd Sat of December, and finally, the Title game will be at another BCS site on the Saturday Night after New Years. (If New Year's falls on a Saturday, then play it that night). You can still play all the other minor bowls that nobody watches, unless their team is in it.

This would make more money than there is now, ratings would be higher, the regular season would still mean just as much, and a champion would be decided on the field as opposed to pollsters and computers. I would also do away w/ stupid pre-season rankings. I wouldn't put any rankings out until the first half of the season is complete. I would also make everyone end the regular season on the Saturday of Thanksgiving Weekend. Any conference that wants to play a conferance championship game, needs to play it that weekend then. Of course the Big 10 Conferance has a pseudo conferance championship game. It is called the Ohio State/Michigan game, the greatest rivalry in all of sports and always decides the Big 10 Championship somehow.

College football has too many bowls. I think there should only be the Fiesta Bowl, that's the bowl that would be for the national championship. The fact that there's only one bowl should give teams every incentive to give 110% during the season so they can have the right to play in one bowl for the championship. At least with the NFL, there's a certain number of spots in the playoffs and if the best teams make it, that's who gets in. Then you have the AFC title game, NFC title game and then the Super Bowl.

I agree that there are way too many bowls in collge football, but I don't think it should be narrowed down to only one. My dream system would be something like this:

Top 8 ranked teams all enter a playoff system:

8 vs 1

7 vs 2

6 vs 3

5 vs 4

Winners advance to the "Final Four" of football:

(fictional results/matchups)

8 vs 2

4 vs 3

Winners then advance to the final, the NCAA Championship, which would still be rotated between Pasadena, Glendale, New Orleans, and Miami

2 vs 3

Winner is the champ

Of course there are still some kinks with that idea, but I would love to see some sort of playoff system where the human ranking system could still be used, along with the more prestigious bowls being used as playoff games.

Again, though, I agree that there are just way too many bowls in college football. The fact that you can be rewarded with a bowl game for having a mediocre season is ridiculous, IMO. Get rid of the "Brown Fence Post Bowl's" of the system and narrow the remaining field down dramatically.

I agree that there are way too many bowls in collge football, but I don't think it should be narrowed down to only one. My dream system would be something like this:

Top 8 ranked teams all enter a playoff system:

8 vs 1

7 vs 2

6 vs 3

5 vs 4

Winners advance to the "Final Four" of football:

(fictional results/matchups)

8 vs 2

4 vs 3

Winners then advance to the final, the NCAA Championship, which would still be rotated between Pasadena, Glendale, New Orleans, and Miami

2 vs 3

Winner is the champ

Of course there are still some kinks with that idea, but I would love to see some sort of playoff system where the human ranking system could still be used, along with the more prestigious bowls being used as playoff games.

Again, though, I agree that there are just way too many bowls in college football. The fact that you can be rewarded with a bowl game for having a mediocre season is ridiculous, IMO. Get rid of the "Brown Fence Post Bowl's" of the system and narrow the remaining field down dramatically.

Archived