Sports in the State of Alabama

AlabamaGuy2007

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sick of college football.. alabama need a pro footbal team......based in huntsville :D

Yea, that would bring the young proffesionals uh-pourin in haha. Huntsville trumps Mobile and Montgomery's citizen population base combined, we could support one. But, I think Birmingham would get one first.

No offense, but, I could still live if we never got one, Bama football will always be there. Along with UAB.

Oh yea, and auburn.

I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for a pro sports team of any kind in Alabama. The stranglehold of college football is too great, I don't think UA or AU would stand for a team stealing the spotlight they have enjoyed in the state over the last 50+ years (yes I know they have been playing longer than that).

And Birmingham building a dome won't help to bring one here any faster, it will just mean a large amount of money spent on a facility that could, at best, host the Super Six indoors or Taylor Hicks/Ruben Studdard co-headlining an "Alabama Idol" concert in the dome. It's a really bad idea for a city that needs to focus on far more important things.

In reality though, Birmingham is not Philadelphia, its not sitting 3 hours from NYC or Washington, DC, the population base just isn't there to support a third or even fourth pro football team inside of a 3-5 hour radius.

I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for a pro sports team of any kind in Alabama. The stranglehold of college football is too great, I don't think UA or AU would stand for a team stealing the spotlight they have enjoyed in the state over the last 50+ years (yes I know they have been playing longer than that).

And Birmingham building a dome won't help to bring one here any faster, it will just mean a large amount of money spent on a facility that could, at best, host the Super Six indoors or Taylor Hicks/Ruben Studdard co-headlining an "Alabama Idol" concert in the dome. It's a really bad idea for a city that needs to focus on far more important things.

In reality though, Birmingham is not Philadelphia, its not sitting 3 hours from NYC or Washington, DC, the population base just isn't there to support a third or even fourth pro football team inside of a 3-5 hour radius.

You're very right about UA and AU not wanted to be taken out of the spotlight. But, it's possible that the pro team would strengthen Alabama's love for football. There is the support for one. IMO, you are correct. But I would still enjoy having a homestate NFL or AFL team to root for. We have the personal income base for one, a higher one than some cities that have a pro team. But, the question is, would people support it. You need more than money to support a pro team. But, I think there might be JUST enough support.

Just my opinion.

Regardless of the colleges, I just don't see any chance for the NFL in Birmingham, when it's so close to Atlanta and Nashville.

There are much larger and frankly more important cities out there nationally that don't have a franchise, and anyone in Alabama who does want to go to an NFL game can make a quick weekend trip to Atlanta, Nashville, or New Orleans already.

Ok, so here's my pic for team of the week in Alabama.

The University of North Alabama Lions!!!

Winning 41-14 against Harding on their first home game this season.

I would've picked Auburn, but, as I'm not an Auburn fan..... But seriously, I think Auburn should've done better. LSU's a strong team, but, not as strong as Auburn is this year. If they had scores three more points, I probably would've picked them.

Game of the Week: Week 3 Rankings:

Team Number of Votes (out of 300)

1) North Alabama vs. Harding 87

2) Auburn vs. Louisiana St. U 85

3) U of A vs. U Louis. Monroe 79

4) Troy vs. Georgia Tech 28

5) UA at Bham vs. UGA 3

(others recieving votes were highschool teams)

I doubt it very seriously if Alabama will ever see a NFL franchise in my lifetime. However, I do see Birmingham being able to get an AFL franchise (an upgrade from AFL2), MLS, and a NBA franchise. Also I see Birmingham getting an upgrade from AA to AAA status in the minor league baseball. Unfortunately, that is all I do see coming to the state in form of pro sports because the other metro areas just doesn't have the substantial population base, market size (in the Top 50 markets), or economy to support anything such outside of the Central Alabama. Most of this would occur tentatively with the expansion and renovation of the existing sports facilities such as BJCC, Legion Field, and Hoover Metropolitan Stadium aka Hoover Met.

I doubt it very seriously if Alabama will ever see a NFL franchise in my lifetime. However, I do see Birmingham being able to get an AFL franchise (an upgrade from AFL2), MLS, and a NBA franchise. Also I see Birmingham getting an upgrade from AA to AAA status in the minor league baseball. Unfortunately, that is all I do see coming to the state in form of pro sports because the other metro areas just doesn't have the substantial population base, market size (in the Top 50 markets), or economy to support anything such outside of the Central Alabama. Most of this would occur tentatively with the expansion and renovation of the existing sports facilities such as BJCC, Legion Field, and Hoover Metropolitan Stadium aka Hoover Met.

This is going to seem really crazy, but, what about the Huntsville-Decatur Area getting an NFL team? It's possible that within the next 2 to 3 decades, there would be a large enough market size. It's very possible. And, it seems that people, especially in the Huntsville area, aren't as College Fball crazy as Central or Southern Alabama. But, the fact that it's kinda close to Nashville might keep it from getting an NFL team.

This is going to seem really crazy, but, what about the Huntsville-Decatur Area getting an NFL team? It's possible that within the next 2 to 3 decades, there would be a large enough market size. It's very possible. And, it seems that people, especially in the Huntsville area, aren't as College Fball crazy as Central or Southern Alabama. But, the fact that it's kinda close to Nashville might keep it from getting an NFL team.

You just answered your own question. Nashville is within a 1 1/2 drive of Hunstville-Decatur area, hints too close. It's kinda as to why Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson and Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point will never have a real chance being taken seriously as a major sports market being stuck in the middle between Atlanta and Charlotte (GSP's case) and Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham (in the Piedmont Triad's case). Some regions are just destined to be secondary feeder markets for much larger ones unfortunately and sadly Huntsville-Decatur seems to be one of those.

Ok, I'm sorry, but I think that the AP College Football Polls are messed up. IMO, Alabama shouldn't be #26, more like in the top 20. I don't think that they'd be in the top 10. But, they haven't even budge in rankings. I'm sure that if the Tide beats Arkansas, there'll be a big move in rankings, but, Bama should have move by now.

Also, Auburn? I didn't get to see the game, as I was at a marching exhibition at Brewer, but, 4 points wasn't that big of a win. Auburn is definitely deservent of a top 5 spot, I'm just not sure about #2.

To let it be known, this is not a hate post, I have a lot of good friends that are Auburn fans. I'm happy as long as Notre Dame doesn't get another Nat. Champ.

Ok, I'm sorry, but I think that the AP College Football Polls are messed up. IMO, Alabama shouldn't be #26, more like in the top 20. I don't think that they'd be in the top 10. But, they haven't even budge in rankings. I'm sure that if the Tide beats Arkansas, there'll be a big move in rankings, but, Bama should have move by now.

Also, Auburn? I didn't get to see the game, as I was at a marching exhibition at Brewer, but, 4 points wasn't that big of a win. Auburn is definitely deservent of a top 5 spot, I'm just not sure about #2.

To let it be known, this is not a hate post, I have a lot of good friends that are Auburn fans. I'm happy as long as Notre Dame doesn't get another Nat. Champ.

Well here is how the pollsters view it, first, Alabama lost a lot of its leadership that carried it last season, thus the lack of a preseason ranking. Second, when you blow a 22-3 lead and leave Hawaii with the ball and a chance to tie the game with two minutes left, then follow that up by barely hanging on against Vanderbilt, that isn't exactly grounds to reward the team with a better ranking. They made some forward movement towards a top 25 ranking by doing what they are supposed to do against an inferior team (UL-Monroe). So yes, if they beat Arkansas fairly convincingly, they will make it into the AP poll.

As for Auburn, well 7-3, 41-37, 24-20, they all are the same when a #3 team beats a #6 team, remember, defense wins championships. LSU isn't a cupcake, if Auburn goes out and doesn't beat Buffalo this weekend by at least 30 then they will drop behind USC in the AP. BTW, you missed one hell of a nail biter, Law & Order couldn't produce that much drama.

And we are all glad that ND was exposed as a fraud, every new coach there gets hyped as the next best thing, Ty Willingham started off there with a 10-3 record his first year, then followed up with records of 5-7 and 6-5. Don't believe the Weis hype.

Well here is how the pollsters view it, first, Alabama lost a lot of its leadership that carried it last season, thus the lack of a preseason ranking. Second, when you blow a 22-3 lead and leave Hawaii with the ball and a chance to tie the game with two minutes left, then follow that up by barely hanging on against Vanderbilt, that isn't exactly grounds to reward the team with a better ranking. They made some forward movement towards a top 25 ranking by doing what they are supposed to do against an inferior team (UL-Monroe). So yes, if they beat Arkansas fairly convincingly, they will make it into the AP poll.

As for Auburn, well 7-3, 41-37, 24-20, they all are the same when a #3 team beats a #6 team, remember, defense wins championships. LSU isn't a cupcake, if Auburn goes out and doesn't beat Buffalo this weekend by at least 30 then they will drop behind USC in the AP. BTW, you missed one hell of a nail biter, Law & Order couldn't produce that much drama.

And we are all glad that ND was exposed as a fraud, every new coach there gets hyped as the next best thing, Ty Willingham started off there with a 10-3 record his first year, then followed up with records of 5-7 and 6-5. Don't believe the Weis hype.

Haha, my aunt would excommunicate me if she knew I said this, I'd rather Auburn win a national championship than Notre Dame. Mainly cause, Notre Dame is the main competitor to Alabama's legacy of championships. Shhhh.............

That was pitiful.

anyone have any clue why Tiffin was out there all that time!!!!!??????

Not me. Christensen won huge games for us last year, and is healthy enough to do the kickoffs,

yet Shula says some BS about Christensen being injured in such a way that he can't kick

field goals and extra points ?

I hate to say it, but I think Tiffin was out there time after time only because Shula knows his daddy.

J.P. Wilson looks like a potentially good passer, but the coaches would rather run Darby up

the middle for 1 yard than give Wilson a chance to win games for us.

It looks like it is going to be a terribly long season.

Not me. Christensen won huge games for us last year, and is healthy enough to do the kickoffs,

yet Shula says some BS about Christensen being injured in such a way that he can't kick

field goals and extra points ?

I hate to say it, but I think Tiffin was out there time after time only because Shula knows his daddy.

J.P. Wilson looks like a potentially good passer, but the coaches would rather run Darby up

the middle for 1 yard than give Wilson a chance to win games for us.

It looks like it is going to be a terribly long season.

JP did great IMO. Or atleast compard to Tiffin. I joined a Facebook group today, it's called "Leigh Tiffin MUST be Adopted"

I agree. I remember watching Wilson a couple of times when he was at Hoover.

He's a winner, and if Shula would give him more chances, we'd win some games.

I agree. Towards the end of the game, they just tried running it up the middle. It obviously wasn't working!! But, they kept doing it. OT would not have occured had they passed it a coupla more times!!

Ok here's my pick for the Alabama game of the week:

Auburn vs. Buffalo

Even though, IMO, a lima bean embyo could be buffalo. But, who else am I gonna pick, no one else won.

Here's my rankings for the game of the week:

(outta 300)

1) Auburn vs. Buffalo (105)

2) Alabama vs. Ark. (93)

3) UAB vs. Miss State. (84)

4) Troy vs. Nebraska (18)

Archived