Sports in the State of Alabama

AlabamaGuy2007

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I am curious guys, who do you think the new coach will be? I have had some sources point towards Spurrier. I am a DIE HARD bama fan, and graduate of the University. For many years have mourned the programs problems. This opportunity is a make or break for Bama. Any takers on who you guys think the new coach will be? It is time to bring Greatness back to Bama!!!

A2

I am curious guys, who do you think the new coach will be? I have had some sources point towards Spurrier. I am a DIE HARD bama fan, and graduate of the University. For many years have mourned the programs problems. This opportunity is a make or break for Bama. Any takers on who you guys think the new coach will be? It is time to bring Greatness back to Bama!!!

A2

it's absolutely all over the map. being from UA, you know how hyped the search is. message boards are lit up with every name you can think of, from larry coker to spurrier to bobby wallace to jeff tedford to david cutcliff to the guys at lousiville and rutgers and tulsa, ad nauseam. possibly even a re-animated cyborg mecha-Bear 3000, for the backward die-hards. paul finebaum is about as level-headed a source for rational speculation (if that isn't an oxymoron) as you can get, and he seems excited about spurrier, but canny about how likely it is that we could get him. bill oliver was on his radio show yesterday and (for him) seemed giddy about the spurrier possibility. the theory there is that if spurrier accepted, oliver would probably be the defensive coordinator - pretty much a college football coaching dream team. that's too good to be true for me, but it's definitely my hands-down preference. spurrier respects oliver and tried to recruit him when he first got the SC job, but bill said 'no' - but he sorta kinda indicated yesterday that he would say 'yes' if the job were at tuscaloosa.

in short, though, people who might know aren't talking and people who definitely don't know won't shut up.

here's a link to a pretty contrived list of 'candidates'....

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/resource...sf?coaches.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

surprised this thread hasn't been lit since wednesday morning (then again maybe we UP posters are more likely to be effete latte-sipping snobs who frown upon the unwashed and their pedestrian team sports...)

saban to bama - it's exciting. i'm not a hardcore fan of 'bama any more than i am of auburn (blasphemy!) - i love college sports and the SEC in particular - but even my dead ass could feel the electric atmosphere in the wake of NS's hiring. driving down I-65 and stopping at the cullman county rest area (and a little later on, a blount county gas station), you could hear people talking about it amongst themselves and with strangers. i got into a brief convo at the rest area with a guy from OK, and even he was excited - had been listening to morning coverage of it on the radio as he was driving through north AL. it was that kind of day. if you cared to look for signs of sports-fueled excitement, it was a fine day to be in AL and be a fan of college football.

i am glad this state does not have a professional sports franchise. i would hate to see a climate in AL that sucked some of the life out of college sports here. no chance of that when the biggest game in town is UA & AU athletics - and big they are. the football programs draw out a fan culture here that is easily as intense (more so, usually) as pro sports in larger areas - remarkable for a state with only four million or so residents.

go mal moore. the entire search - even the supposed RR debacle - was done with restraint, class, etc. mal never baited the media and never stoked sensational reports - he kept his head down and got his man. good for him - there are few sports figures in this state that people perrennially have loved to hate more than mal moore. he stayed above the fray for the duration of the search.

Yes, the atmosphere is absolutely electric around town.

So much for all the ESPN pundits spending hour after hour, day after day, week after week

talking about "Bama's irrelevance and inability to find any coach willing to accept the job."

The University of Alabama Board of Trustees is a joke...

I'm not a native, so I'm not wrapped up in Alabama-Auburn football. Does anyone else find it a little obscene that he is getting $4mil per year for 8 years? I realize it is a free market, but man that just seems crazy. Where does it all end? Do big universities just keep paying coaches more and more while they raise tuition 20% every year?

Don't get me wrong, I love college sports (particularly basketball), but things just seem out of whack in our society.

As an alumni, I'm glad to see this.

We've got to be behind him though even if he has a couple of off seasons. I know how quickly our honeymoon with a coach tends to end.

In response to the question about pay......you just have to grow up in Alabama to know what Alabama football is worth.....it can't be explained. :D

In all honesty it is sad. The state of Alabama really has it's priorities screwed up. I grew up in Alabama and I'm a huge college football fan but refused to let myself get sucked into the whole Alabama/Auburn idiocy. The south is no doubt a football crazed region, but in GA,TN,FL,etc. football has it's own place, in Alabama it permeates into every aspect of peoples lives. My buddy, who lives in Alabama but is not an Alabama native, said it best yesterday,"Only in Alabama would the news interrupt the funeral of a president to show a football coach getting off a plane." It's crazy. Until the people of Alabama get their priorities straight and learn that football is football and nothing more, they will never change their lot in life.

Being a multi-millionaire is not represenative of the majority of football fans in the state of Alabama, placing way too much emphasis on the importance of football is. For a lot of these people they are content with being below average in everything except when it comes to their football, they will not stand for that. They do not care that their children's schools are not adequately funded and that they live in one of the poorest states in the country, as long as their football team is winning.

Being a multi-millionaire is not represenative of the majority of football fans in the state of Alabama, placing way too much emphasis on the importance of football is. For a lot of these people they are content with being below average in everything except when it comes to their football, they will not stand for that. They do not care that their children's schools are not adequately funded and that they live in one of the poorest states in the country, as long as their football team is winning.

yes, and no. it is not an alabama phenomenon; it's a college tier-I football program phenomenon. he isn't making a market-changing amount more than the next-highest paid coach, bob stoops (OU). it doesn't bother me that alabama is spending this kind of money any more than that OU does - but it is indeed obscene, from a certain point of view, that it is happening in college sports at all. the salary is truly a drop in the ole bucket when compared with the profit NCAA schools reap from bowl games, merch, broadcast contracts, etc. it's an investment for those schools that cough up the money for the big salaries.

Archived