Young Professionals Wanted

AlabamaGuy2007

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like what they said in the Huntsville Times today, more cheap condos, bars, restaurants and shops downtown will work wonders with attracting young professionals to this area. Getting more retail and restaurants in the city is a plus too, like the Bridge Street and Marketplace developments.

Also, a real ad campaign for the city would work- one billboard on I-65 in Tennessee just doesn't get the message out that Huntsville is a great place to live. Getting billboards and TV and newspaper ads in surrounding cities would be a good start. We need to convince 20-somethings that Huntsville is better than anywhere else.

Like what they said in the Huntsville Times today, more cheap condos, bars, restaurants and shops downtown will work wonders with attracting young professionals to this area. Getting more retail and restaurants in the city is a plus too, like the Bridge Street and Marketplace developments.

Also, a real ad campaign for the city would work- one billboard on I-65 in Tennessee just doesn't get the message out that Huntsville is a great place to live. Getting billboards and TV and newspaper ads in surrounding cities would be a good start. We need to convince 20-somethings that Huntsville is better than anywhere else.

Yea, that all sounds great. But I don't see any of it happening soon. The city just doesn't wanna take that kinda initiative.

Hmmm, I didn't know about that. I don't read Huntsville Times, just Decatur Daily, and Birmingham News. Decatur has a website for people interested in living in Decatur.

Decatur, Al

it sounds like they will be real aggressive, these are all positive steps.

Now the developers need to respond as well. Create exciting spaces and

destinations downtown, please!

Market Square will be a great start but we need more to create the catalyst.

I really don't know. It just seems in this state that government officials aren't interested in attracting young "urban" professional. This lack of interest is what drives our wised, most ambitious individuals from this state to places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Raleigh/Durham, or outside of the South all together. In many ways, I wished Birmingham and Huntsville had formed together as one unified large metropolis like Atlanta is in Georgia. This one city would have been a power not to be reckon with in the South.

• 1 month later...
I really don't know. It just seems in this state that government officials aren't interested in attracting young "urban" professional. This lack of interest is what drives our wised, most ambitious individuals from this state to places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Raleigh/Durham, or outside of the South all together. In many ways, I wished Birmingham and Huntsville had formed together as one unified large metropolis like Atlanta is in Georgia. This one city would have been a power not to be reckon with in the South.

Exactly. That about sums it up. The most outspoken of Alabama's residents don't want the influx of population, which would bring with it "diversity". To many people in the state want to hang on to this Alabama "good ol' boy" feel and either are afraid to pursue what other states are pursuing or afraid of failing. I do beleive that as the younger generation takes it's foothold in the state government and politics it will become a more inviting place.

Its not just the government, everything just moves to slow here. Anytime a major development trys to come the local governments as well as the people shoot it down for example the huge project for Decatur's park. There is just not enough development, stores, things to do in most of Alabama to keep young people here. Alabama wants economic growth in the form of jobs but they dont want to deal with the other aspects of it, more people, roads, traffic, things to do etc.

Its not just the government, everything just moves to slow here. Anytime a major development trys to come the local governments as well as the people shoot it down for example the huge project for Decatur's park. There is just not enough development, stores, things to do in most of Alabama to keep young people here. Alabama wants economic growth in the form of jobs but they dont want to deal with the other aspects of it, more people, roads, traffic, things to do etc.

Exactly. That about sums it up. The most outspoken of Alabama's residents don't want the influx of population, which would bring with it "diversity". To many people in the state want to hang on to this Alabama "good ol' boy" feel and either are afraid to pursue what other states are pursuing or afraid of failing. I do beleive that as the younger generation takes it's foothold in the state government and politics it will become a more inviting place.

Huntsville has seen plenty of development over the last number of years, just not the right kind to attract young professionals. Most young people who are educated and leave their home town/state are not impressed by suburban strip mall development. Every city has that, why pick Huntsville over any other city comprised of suburban sprawl? They want a vibrant, energetic place with other young people, places with character and innovative thinking. They want cool places to hang out after work. In my experience, they also want recreational activities (hiking, mountain biking, skiing...) within a short drive for weekend trips. That's why San Fran, Boston, DC, New York and college towns like Madison, Ann Arbor and Austin have always been popular with young people. Now many of the big cities are priced way out of reach of young people (anyone really) and Huntsville must adapt and promote itself so that people at least give it a look. Many people from other parts of the country just won't consider a move to Alabama, period. Huntsville has been fighting that for years and will have to step up its effort to build its image to attract young professionals in large numbers. I was skeptical about moving here but I decided to come down and check it out for myself and not rely on stereotypes, even before I had a job offer. I was impressed by what I saw and the direction that the city seemed to be headed.

That being said, the Marketsquare redevelopment and Bridge Street are really going to change the complexion of Huntsville. If the downtown of Huntsville continues improving itself, Huntsville could really become a magnificent mid sized city.

Archived