Charles Barkley for Governor?

AlabamaGuy2007

Charles Barkley for Governor  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If Charles Barkley were to run, would he receive your vote?

• Yes
    • No
    • No idea

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's said he's serious about running, and currently looking for a home in Alabama. I'm really torn about how he'd do, haven't heard from him in a while. What do ya'll think?

I think I would vote for him. It's time we show that Alabama can be an "embracing" state. If what he says about having to wait until 2014 to run is true then I think it would be great. Give Gov. Riley a few more years to really get the great things he is doing economically with the state done. Then we can blow the nation's socks off by electing our first black governor. He won't hurt the state economically because the fact of him being elected governor would bring a lot of interest, and personally I feel that it would get a lot of minority business owners to finally look into coming to the state and providing even more of an economic impact.

Overall I feel Alabama needs Charles Barkley more than he needs Alabama, so let's give him the office and see what he can do. It's not like he can bring down the state in just 4 years of service. If the people find that he isn't doing a good enough job, just vote him out. There have been a lot worse governors in Alabama's past than Charles Barkley could ever be.

I don't see any particularly compelling reason to vote for him.

The fact that he doesn't even live in the state makes you wonder why he doesn't

run for governor in the state where he does live ?

By 2014 or whenever, few people will even remember his basketball days, and

that's his only claim to fame.

Then we can blow the nation's socks off by electing our first black governor.

How about a black governor who actually lives in the state, and has some political qualifications ?

no,

he will make it a race issue

"Asked if he had ever been in the governor's office in Montgomery, Barkley said no.

"They don't let many black people in the governor's mansion in Alabama," he said, "unless they're cleaning."

no reason for such a stupid comment, his color should have nothing to do with it.

he could do more for Alabama without being Gov. Come back and develop housing and jobs for the people

he is so concerned about.

But I do like the guy

War Eagle Sir Charles!

Well, he does have a point to a certain extent. The vast majority of the black people that live in the state either live in the Black Belt or in Greater Birmingham. Alabama just hasn't been a very inviting state when comes to black folks. Just take a look at who is in state legislature representing some of "black voters" in Alabama like John Rogers. We are in some real trouble because that selfish, uncooperative beotch is a textbook example of what is wrong with this state. Alabama needs to promote self as a place black folks as well as other minorities want to come to not avoid because we are so ass backwards and overly conservative.

But that shouldn't be the reason to vote for this guy. You have economics, finance, education, trade, and environmental issues to look at. voting for a guy just because he is black is just as bad aa voting for a guy just because he is white. I agree with HSVTiger. Barkley is just going to make this a race issue, which the state doesn't need. Bob Riley is a great govenor and I would vote for him before barkley. He said he is running as an independent. good luck. he can't when on the black vote alone. oh and why does he have to say that he wants to become govenor of our state? This guy will probably get killed in debates if his only issue is about hte poor and blacks. I do agree that something has to be done to help the poor in Alabama, but I don't think he would be the right person to pick for the job. If a qualified black politician from Alabama, I know there has to be some, that would run for govenor I'm sure I would vote for them.

Alabama needs someone with fresh ideas and I thing Charles Barkley will offer that, he should probably consider running for lieutenant governor first though.. People have been crying about how we need progressive leadership in this state, well here is your opportunity at one.. I would only suggest he chooses his comments carefully...

Hell, people in California elected two men governor who were movie stars, with no prior experience. (Arnold and Reagan)

Minnesota elected a championship wrestler as governor.

Florida even elected a moron governor just because he was a member of a (hightly suspect) political family~~

Why couldn't a progressive minded, smart man, who happens to be a basketball player, make a perfectly fine governor? Who gives a damn what race he belongs to (!)

If I was an Alabama resident I would vote for Barkley in a heartbeat.

Why are people tossing out this "progressive" label for Barkley, as if that's some proven fact ?

Other than dribbling a basketball years ago, what exactly does he bring to the table ?

What are his supposed "fresh ideas" ?

Is he involved in politics in any way in the state 2,000 miles away where he chooses to live ?

I'm not automatically "against" Barkley, but I still have yet to see what positives he would

bring to the table ?

Why are people tossing out this "progressive" label for Barkley, as if that's some proven fact ?

Other than dribbling a basketball years ago, what exactly does he bring to the table ?

What are his supposed "fresh ideas" ?

Is he involved in politics in any way in the state 2,000 miles away where he chooses to live ?

I'm not automatically "against" Barkley, but I still have yet to see what positives he would

bring to the table ?

That is exactly what I think. I haven't hear from him in a while, so, how do we know he's progressive, what are his idea, and "who" is he. Like you said, I'm not automatically against him, but he needs to tell us what he plans to do if elected before we even think about voting for him.

I think first Alabama first needs to get over the stigma involving the liberal label. This state is being held back by that alone. A little more progressive attitude needs to be addressed and brought forth here. I do like Riley because he had the balls to step forth and introduce a reform for this state's jacked up tax code, but we all know some morons like ALFA, Christian Coaliton or whateva their new name is (new name, same BS), the demogogs like Roy Moore, will never learn. They are reason why Alabama is practically stuck on neutral like Louisiana. At this point we are neck and neck with South Carolina, but for how much longer before they pass us by as well? I just don't want Alabama to wind up like Mississippi or Louisiana, and that is stuck in the past and on neutral in progress.

Uh, I wasn't putting all my faith into any particular potential politician. I was just stating how stuck on stupid most in the state seem to be, and apparently I'm not the only one:

Alabama must improve education, business climate, executive warns

He is telling the truth as to how we need to promote a more progressive attitude across the state, and improve our education system even more. We have too many good ole' boy, "I go to such and such church" or "I'm a such and such in my church" , "I have Alabama values" b*******t and get with the program bfore we get left out. Anyways wtf is "Alabama values" b/c from all I see from all of Alabama values is hypocrity, phony, and just plain stupid. You can have family values and not be stuck on stupid, but apparently somebody here has gotten that drift yet.

wow leonard23..... very true. I agree 100%. The situation that is facing B-ham is kindof hitting the whole state. I too wish that politians would stop talking about what church they go to and how many times they teach their sunday school class. why can't they talk more about their policies than there personal life. I like to look at what they have done on the job than what they do on sunday morning.

Uh, I wasn't putting all my faith into any particular potential politician. I was just stating how stuck on stupid most in the state seem to be, and apparently I'm not the only one:

Alabama must improve education, business climate, executive warns

He is telling the truth as to how we need to promote a more progressive attitude across the state, and improve our education system even more. We have too many good ole' boy, "I go to such and such church" or "I'm a such and such in my church" , "I have Alabama values" b*******t and get with the program bfore we get left out. Anyways wtf is "Alabama values" b/c from all I see from all of Alabama values is hypocrity, phony, and just plain stupid. You can have family values and not be stuck on stupid, but apparently somebody here has gotten that drift yet.

Yea, I think that nowadays, the fact that someone attends church doesn't improve an image as much. The way you present it can. Sue Bell Cobb's advertisements, dang, I don't know anything about her, but she looks like the perfect candidate, just the way she presents herself. It's hard not to feel that way.

But anyways, people need to stop worrying about what church a candidate praises God at and worry about getting more people jobs, or better ones, so that they can afford to have clothes to wear to church. Or better schools so that EVERY child can have a chance to, silently, pray during the morning moment of silence.

LOL. I hope he does run though... It's exactly what this state needs is a progressive minded governor who's more worried with education, bring in better jobs and bring a progressive image to the state.. we need to get out of that "you vote is a vote for god because they go to church" mentality.. i'm sorry but just going to church on sundays will not do jack for me or improve my life any..

LOL. I hope he does run though... It's exactly what this state needs is a progressive minded governor who's more worried with education, bring in better jobs and bring a progressive image to the state.. we need to get out of that "you vote is a vote for god because they go to church" mentality.. i'm sorry but just going to church on sundays will not do jack for me or improve my life any..

That's true. I'd rather see a governor like that. Whether Barkley's like that or not, I have no idea, cause, he hasn't told us yet.

Riley for right now fits what you want. Maybe not the same ideas for you but he doesn't seem to focus on church just past successes. I really think he would lose big time if he ran in Alabama. but if he ran he could probably bring up issues into the debates that could be benificial.

• 1 year later...

Archived