SCEG FAILS COLUMBIA

colajnp

This will put a lot of the small businesses downtown out of business. Shame on SCEG. I heard the city rolled out the red carpet offering Bull St, Innovista, and Huger areas.

SCANA to build new campus off I-77 in Lexington County

SCANA will build a campus in Lexington County to consolidate its operations once its lease at the Palmetto Center expires in 2009, the company announced this afternoon.

Several SCANA locations around the Midlands will be moved to the new campus, at I-77 and 12th Street, CEO Bill Timmerman said in a news release.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will put a lot of the small businesses downtown out of business. Shame on SCEG. I heard the city rolled out the red carpet offering Bull St, Innovista, and Huger areas.

SCANA to build new campus off I-77 in Lexington County

SCANA will build a campus in Lexington County to consolidate its operations once its lease at the Palmetto Center expires in 2009, the company announced this afternoon.

Several SCANA locations around the Midlands will be moved to the new campus, at I-77 and 12th Street, CEO Bill Timmerman said in a news release.

“Our decision to consolidate in a campus environment was driven by productivity and cost concerns,” said SCANA Chairman and CEO Bill Timmerman. “I appreciate the numerous, candid discussions we have had with (Columbia mayor Bob Coble) and other city officials, as well as a number of groups from Columbia that provided us with additional information to consider. At the end of the day, the economics for building a low-rise campus on land we already own was overwhelming.”

The campus will consist of three three-story buildings totaling 450,000 square feet with ground-level parking. Construction is expected to start late next summer, and be completed in late 2009, the news release said.

SCANA has occupied the Palmetto Center building at 1426 Main St., Columbia, since 1983.

Timmerman said the utility holding company would work with area leaders to help fill the void it will leave with its departure.

"All of us who work at the Palmetto Center have very mixed emotions about leaving the downtown area," he said.

He said the planned new headquarters is only “a few miles away” and SCANA will remain committed to its community support role. Among supported organizations are the Columbia Chamber, the Central South Carolina Economic Development Alliance, the United Way, the Columbia Museum of Art and Cultural Council.

SCANA serves approximately 617,000 electric customers in South Carolina and more than a million natural gas customers in the Carolinas and Georgia

WoW.. So they really did it. :shok: This will hurt some business and restaraunts downtown. I think the rising cost of construction really did play a part on this and due to the fact they already had land purchased in Lexington. It really doesn't come to no surprise I wish we had better leaders to keep them in the downtown area.

I don't understand, can someone elaborate on who these players are and how this event will affect? I've only lived here a short while.

WoW.. So they really did it. :shok: This will hurt some business and restaraunts downtown. I think the rising cost of construction really did play a part on this and due to the fact they already had land purchased in Lexington. It really doesn't come to no surprise I wish we had better leaders to keep them in the downtown area.

Shame on SCANA for promoting sprawl in Greater Columbia. If they stayed Downtown and built a new tower, it would've ended up being close to 40-stories.

:cry: Bummer! I hate to see these things happen. Give them 30 years and they'll be dying to get back downtown; who knows how much it will cost then... Even if they didn't build a '40 story' tower, any size building for them downtown would be welcome. I'm sure they dump a lot of people on the streets of Columbia for dining and shopping...

Jerks; if I could boycott them, I would. They are a bunch of small-minded idiots. A bigger Columbia means more customers; moving to a suburban sprawl campus is pathetic. I wish we had an option for electric service.

AMEN! A company that has a monopoly should have a greater standard of social responsibility. They are immoral to claim it is cheaper while they add sprawl and hurt the largest market they have (Downtown)

lets start scanasux.com

here is the article from the state

Do not paste articles on this site. Always summarize key points, or quote key phrases, and always give links. We do not allow pasting articles on UP. Repeat offenders will be repremanded as deemed necessary. Since you're relatively new I won't make an issue of it. Thanks for your cooperation! -Spartan

I wonder if the tax incentives that SCANA is receiving from Lexington County are tied to SCANA or to the property. If SCANA sells the new campus (because it is merged into Duke, for instance), would those incentives transfer to the new owner?

If so, I think that indicates a sale is contemplated in the future.

How greedy can a company be? Their profits are only in the billions and they have no competition, so they need to save some money and if that means hurting small businesses and the city so be it. It's sad to think that the only 500 Fortune company in the state can be so socially unethical. :sick: .

Are they destroying wetlands to build this 3 story shoe box?

By the way, Knotts is a buffon.

this is a really short-sighted decision on the part of SCANA; I'm glad I don't own any of their stock. Downtown Columbia is booming with new projects, excitement, and energy, and rather than take a mature, big picture view of the isssues - realizing that a booming Columbia, with many new businesses, residences, and activity means more customers for SCANA, and as the only Fortune 500 company in the state, they could take this opportunity to build a signature building(s) in the largest downtown in the state, thereby raising their own profile as well as that of the city and state, the MBA geniuses that run the company say "Hey, we can save a few bucks now by building an admittedly third-rate office park in Cayce. Let's not really consider the long-term consequences for either our business or our hometown. We're geniuses!" (Backslaps, cigars and bonuses get passed all around the conference table).

I'd like to say that this will hurt their business, but since they are a monopoly... Maybe you guys can convince the state legislators to let Duke Power enter the market and run SCANA out of business?

How greedy can a company be? Their profits are only in the billions and they have no competition, so they need to save some money and if that means hurting small businesses and the city so be it. It's sad to think that the only 500 Fortune company in the state can be so socially unethical. :sick: .

Are they destroying wetlands to build this 3 story shoe box?

By the way, Knotts is a buffon.

It is unethical what they are doing. How could they do this to the city the provide to? I have heard Timmerman (the head guy) is arrogant and never entertained staying in Columbia. If he is so worried about the bottom line, why is his annual compensation $3.9 million. SCANA should do the right thing and stay downtown and support the people that supportsthe bulk of their business.

I would have to say that the city needs to step up its own promotion and the company has the right to look out for its best interest which is lowering overall cost.

I was going to post this also...he doesn't even live in SC, so he's not too terribly concerned what happens to downtown Columbia.

does he really live in Charlotte? I know he used to live here, and I knew him in the late '70s from playing tennis, so he was here for quite a while if he has moved.

Letter from Timmerman.. City Center Partnership sent this out this afternoon:

September 7, 2006

Dear Downtown Business Owner,

SCANA has called the Palmetto Center home for some 23 years now, so it is with mixed emotions that we announced our decision to relocate to a campus facility along 12th Street in Cayce a few miles away. We

Archived