SCEG FAILS COLUMBIA

colajnp

I generally don't see mass transportation as a good idea for Columbia. No, I can't see there being an awful lot of riders for that route, so I don't think it is a good idea. It would be quite convenient for me if I was flying, though.

I think the reason it is such a hard sell in Lexco is because it is available to only a small percentage of the Lexco people, and wanted by even less.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Columbia isn't very dense, a metro area the size of Columbia without ANY type of mass transit is not good at all. It's designed to provide a necessary service, not make money.

Even though the ridership in Lexington County is definitely lower than in Richland, at least the municipalities of Cayce and West Columbia, where the Lexington County routes are located, should chip in.

I generally don't see mass transportation as a good idea for Columbia. No, I can't see there being an awful lot of riders for that route, so I don't think it is a good idea. It would be quite convenient for me if I was flying, though.

I think the reason it is such a hard sell in Lexco is because it is available to only a small percentage of the Lexco people, and wanted by even less.

The local community should help them, not the government. Friends, families, neighbors, local churches. When I grew up (and I really don't think I'm THAT much older than most of you), that was the way it was done.

There are also taxis, mopeds, bikes, and your Converse All Stars to get you around.

I can truly get behind mass transit in dense communities where it isn't convenient to use a car. Americans love convenience, and a mass transit system will not work as long as cars are more convenient. That isn't the case with Columbia. Not yet anyway.

I see many blind people riding the bus to get to and from a school for the blind off of Rosewood. What do you suppose they do, along with other disabled people who can't drive a car, ride a moped, or bicycle. They are independent, responsible adults that don't want to rely on their family and friends to drive them everywhere they need to go.

$16 a YEAR to keep the buses running is very reasonable until they come up with a better plan. That's 3 drinks at the bar or a haircut to most of us, but to the unfortunate ones that need this system, it's their livelyhood.

I see many blind people riding the bus to get to and from a school for the blind off of Rosewood. What do you suppose they do, along with other disabled people who can't drive a car, ride a moped, or bicycle. They are independent, responsible adults that don't want to rely on their family and friends to drive them everywhere they need to go.

$16 a YEAR to keep the buses running is very reasonable until they come up with a better plan. That's 3 drinks at the bar or a haircut to most of us, but to the unfortunate ones that need this system, it's their livelyhood.

Everyone isn't as fortunate as you, Captain Worley. What do some of these people do when they can't depend on family or friends on a consistent basis (not just those who are legally handicapped, but anyone without a personal vehicle)? Not having a mass transit system in place would really harm Columbia as a metro area.

"That don't want" does not translate to a need. I believe DDSN will help out if there is indeed a need.

I'm legally blind without my contacts and face the very real prospect of a sightless old age, so I have a dog in that fight and *still* disagree with the need for mass transit at this point in Columbia's history.

"That don't want" does not translate to a need. I believe DDSN will help out if there is indeed a need.

I'm legally blind without my contacts and face the very real prospect of a sightless old age, so I have a dog in that fight and *still* disagree with the need for mass transit at this point in Columbia's history.

I saw that! Sounds like it will be a nice one.

Not that area, but a lot of the lad near where the 12th Street extension hits 77 is both wetland and owned by SCE&G. I'm really interested to see what, if anything is developed on that road.

That junkyard near Frink Street is being relocated as well, but I haven't heard what it is being replaced with. I'm glad to see that eyesore gone.

Quote {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Reply

Syracuse, NY

Bringing Jobs Back From The 'Burbs To Downtown

8 November 2006 - 6:00am

Seventeen years after moving into a suburban office park, engineering firm O'Brien & Gere announced plans to move hundreds of workers to an environmentally friendly new office complex in downtown Syracuse.

The company made a big statement with its decision to move its headquarters from a suburban office park it built in 1989 to a state-of-the-art 'green' new office space in the heart of downtown Syracuse.

In a region that suffers terribly from the "sprawl-without-population-growth" phenomenon, this move is not only symbolic of the importance of the center city, but will have tangible positive effects on the life and revitalization of struggling Syracuse.

Source: Syracuse Post-Standard, Nov 06, 2006

I wonder why Columbia doesn't have forward looking companies like O'Brien & Gere of Syracuse? I wonder why we get strapped with outfits like SCANA and Blue Cross that perpetuate and exacerbate urban sprawl?

You realize that translates to 3000 riders a day if they are making round trips?

I can understand why the bus system needs to be subsidized. There aren't enough riders to pay for it. I get it, I really do.

What really gets in my craw is Columbia taking on the responsibility for it and then asking other local governments to pay for it when they realized that Columbia couldn't turn a profit at it. To me, it is like a buddy trying to buy a cheap house (in the hopes of profitting fromit), but it needs waaaay more work than he expects and he ends up going into great debt to get it fixed. Then he asks you to pay some of the debt, since you might come over and visit.

SCANA well and truly did screw Colatown, but they went in with their eyes wide open.

Or should have.

Actually I was wrong. There are 2.5 million unlinked trips annualy on the CMRTA system.

There are 8,700 trips on an average weekday

4,500 on saturday

1,300 on sunday

This makes it far and away the number one system in SC.

As I have said before, transit does not pay for itself with fares. Everyone knows this. Even New York's transit system doesn't pay for itseld. Does that mean they should get rid of it? Its impacts are indirect. The benefits include reduced traffic, reduced pollution, and the income these people recieve from getting to their jobs that contributes to the economy. Not to mention the fact that by its nature encourages denser development, which is something we hold in high esteem here.

But lets use your logic. If a public system doesn't pay for itself, lets drop it. When has a road EVER payed for itself? Oh maybe a toll road or two. But how many of those are in comparison to regular roads? Wow, i guess we need to stop paying for the road system. Parking lots? Those big ones outside of the mall and infront of Walmart don't pay for themselves either. They need to go too. I defy you to give me a reason why we shouls keep them, using your logic.

But lets use your logic. If a public system doesn't pay for itself, lets drop it. When has a road EVER payed for itself? Oh maybe a toll road or two. But how many of those are in comparison to regular roads? Wow, i guess we need to stop paying for the road system. Parking lots? Those big ones outside of the mall and infront of Walmart don't pay for themselves either. They need to go too. I defy you to give me a reason why we shouls keep them, using your logic.

Because everyone uses them!! I don't mind the government paying for something we all (or a high percentage of us) use.

And if the parking lot in front of Walmart didn't pay for itself, I'm sure Walmart wouldn't have built it. How may people would shop at Walmart if they couldn't park?

And Doiug, my logic is neither convoluted, nor conservative. You may disagree with what I say, but please do so in a less condescending and more constructive manner. I would like to know why you think the conservative mindset got us into the depression? I was always told in history class that it was caused by specultaiors causing a massive overvaluing of stock and rampant speculation.

Archived