SCEG FAILS COLUMBIA

colajnp

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This we know, but our state politicians are so busy keeping us stuck in the 19th century, displaying Confederate flags in prominent places, and passing other non-business friendly referendums that North Carolina is more than smart enough not to do. And for this they boast while we continually lose our future businesspeople that could make this state great. Some of NC's best institutions were either founded or greatly enhanced by South Carolinians, like UNC, Bank of America, the Belk chain, etc. These idiots aren't going to wake up until it's too late. By that time, every single business of any worth will be headquartered out-of-state and NC will be on the verge of annexing us.

hah, true! But not correct. People use their cars because it is percieved to be "free." People also justify paying for them because they move the economy. So much of our economy relies on our road network that it owuld be stupid to let it deteriorate.

But transit does the same thing. The economic impact of a transit system more than justifies its existance. Lets do some estimation.... lowball estimation at that. Say that only 2,000 people ride the CMRTA on any give weekday. Say that these people have an average annual salary of $10,000 (remember, this is hypothetical, so this number is likely higher), and say that these people rely soley on transit (no car) to get around. That equates to a $20,000,000 economic impact of that system. Not to mention the salaries of the employers, and the business increase seen by local businesses around bus stops. You could go on and be much more specific with this list. But I think its important to realize that the money people make because of the bus system is a valid reason to keep it running, just as its valid to keep up the roads because it allows people to get to work in their cars.

Well, now, remember the busses use the roads, too!

I liked the sheep. I think I'll download that one.

Spartan, I guess my engineering background and love of numbers is shining through, but I don't see how anyone can be unaware of how much their car is costing them financially. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to it because I used to commute between Columbia and Sumter back when gas was just about 3 bucks a gallon.

Well, now, remember the busses use the roads, too!

I liked the sheep. I think I'll download that one.

Spartan, I guess my engineering background and love of numbers is shining through, but I don't see how anyone can be unaware of how much their car is costing them financially. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to it because I used to commute between Columbia and Sumter back when gas was just about 3 bucks a gallon.

You're right, I don't ride the bus because it isn't at all convenient for me.

I don't think Lexco council will ever approve funds for busing because the vast majority of voters are in the same boat as I am, and they'd be voted out of office if they did.

I swear, I wish I knew what Colatown was thinking when they took it from SCE&G. I suspect they didn't see any further than the 32 million or so that came with it. That's my real gripe, and I guess it technically isn't with the bus system, is it?

You're right, I don't ride the bus because it isn't at all convenient for me.

I don't think Lexco council will ever approve funds for busing because the vast majority of voters are in the same boat as I am, and they'd be voted out of office if they did.

I swear, I wish I knew what Colatown was thinking when they took it from SCE&G. I suspect they didn't see any further than the 32 million or so that came with it. That's my real gripe, and I guess it technically isn't with the bus system, is it?

Columbia took the busses from Scana because it was about damn time. It was rediculous for Scana to have to pay for public transportation. The only reason they were doing that is because of a 100 year old law that said the power company had to pay for public transportation...but you have to remember that this law was created when the only public transportation was ELECTRIC street cars...hence the power company angle. SC was one of the VERY few states that still had this antiquated law on the books. (as usual, we're slow to catch up)

What I don't understand is, did they do away with the state law, or just ignore it?

See, what bugs me is they HAD to run the buses because they had a monopoly. Now they weaseled out of it, and still have a monopoly.

I think SCANA did a btter job of running it than Columbia is doing as well.

The new buses ARE much nicer and spew less soot. I like the paint jobs on them, too.

Those old buses were GMCs (atually GM Truck and Coach) that were designed back in the late 70s/early eighties when GM was notorious for bad design. The early ones had all srts of frame cracking problems. SCE&G wisely kept the older design 'fishbowl' buses in service long enough to get the bugs worked out. Sadly, they still didn't last very long in service.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived