GR in NY Times Travel Section

Siler

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being from NY, I never really thought this would happen...

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/09/06/trav...nyt&emc=rss

or

http://tinyurl.com/htt2e

Did a pretty good job of hitting some of the high points. Nice to hear a NY paper talk about GR as having a decent amount of public art.

So GR made the Times. We here in this neck of the woods must be doing somthing right to catch the attention of big media giant from an equally gigantic city. Any New Yorkers out there want to visit GR, welcome and enjoy.

OK, no good deed goes unpunished, so I have to take exception to one of their comments. I've never heard anyone refer to The BOB as "The BAB" in a local variant of the Great Lakes accent...

Otherwise, not bad.

That's what yous all sound like to a New Yorker.

When an NYer says it, it sounds like "the Bawb" to many a Grand Rapidian...

OK, no good deed goes unpunished, so I have to take exception to one of their comments. I've never heard anyone refer to The BOB as "The BAB" in a local variant of the Great Lakes accent...

Otherwise, not bad.

if you really wanted to capture the phonetics of how we say "bob" it would be "bahb" not "bab" (said like babble.)

if you really wanted to capture the phonetics of how we say "bob" it would be "bahb" not "bab" (said like babble.)

Only in your midwestern head. :)

New Yorkers (essentially my entire extended family) think we're saying "Bab" because their pronounciation of "Bob" sounds like "Bawb" and their pronunciation of "Bab" would have the same "a" sound as the "a" in "Mamma".

This really manifests itself when my cousins talk about Don and Dawn (who are married). I swear they're saying the same exact word either way....they all can understand each other but to me it sounds exactly the same.... "Dawn and Dawn went out last night, but Dawn had to go home early." Huh?

:)

Archived