Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rydertwentyone

Who is Louisville's Identical Brother in terms of a city?

21 posts in this topic

I was strolling through the New Orleans post and someone posted who is there identical brother in terms of a city and I was just wondering what people thought. Like I said earlier I have only been in Louisville a short time but some cities that come to mind with me is Columbus Ohio, and Richmond Va, they seem a little bit similar but by no means am I right. I am just throwing out my feelings please share some ideas with me thanks and appreciate the feedback.

I was strolling through the New Orleans post and someone posted who is there identical brother in terms of a city and I was just wondering what people thought. Like I said earlier I have only been in Louisville a short time but some cities that come to mind with me is Columbus Ohio, and Richmond Va, they seem a little bit similar but by no means am I right. I am just throwing out my feelings please share some ideas with me thanks and appreciate the feedback.

When I think of Louisville, the next city that comes to mind is Charlotte. I don't know why, but they just seem to go together. The skylines kinda resemble eachother. I don't know, they just go together. :thumbsup:

Really thats an interesting city you picked. Not one that I thought about but never been there so cant say to much about Charlotte.

Really thats an interesting city you picked. Not one that I thought about but never been there so cant say to much about Charlotte.

I've never been there either, I'd love to go though. But, Charlotte just came to my mind when I thought of a city that closely resembled Louisville. The metro sizes are different, and so are the proper populations, but they still seem alike to me.

I've never been there either, I'd love to go though. But, Charlotte just came to my mind when I thought of a city that closely resembled Louisville. The metro sizes are different, and so are the proper populations, but they still seem alike to me.

Yeah I have heard a lot of good things about Charlotte. I went to school in NC right btwn Raleigh and Greensboro but never made it down to Charlotte but heard its a very clean city and a good time. Need get down there in the near future.

When I think of Louisville, the next city that comes to mind is Charlotte. I don't know why, but they just seem to go together. The skylines kinda resemble eachother. I don't know, they just go together. :thumbsup:

Louisville is nothing like Charlotte. Ultimately they are both mid sized cities but Charlotte has a significantly larger metro and more big businesses. Still, Louisville's core is much bigger and denser, and the city is older with more urban neighborhoods and upscale restuarants and eclectic arts. That is, Louisville is a significantly larger Urbanized Area and denser core than Charlotte. Still, Charlotte's sprawl and rapid peripheral growth gives it more metro residents and thus more money. There is also nothing like Charlotte's big banks in Louisville.

Louisville doesn't have a twin, but i would say a cross between Memphis and Columbus would be a good description. We have a Midwest vibe like Columbus with urban hoods and Midwest accents but we also have a southern vibe like Memphis with shotgun houses and southern accents. We are very gritty like both cities and are experiencing moderate population growth like both. Our whole sports lives revolves around college sports like they do in Columbus.

The best comparison for Louisville is actually to metros that are much larger like Cincinnati and Saint Louis. In the urban core, all three cities feel eerily similar. After all, they grew up together.

Louisville is nothing like Charlotte. Ultimately they are both mid sized cities but Charlotte has a significantly larger metro and more big businesses. Still, Louisville's core is much bigger and denser, and the city is older with more urban neighborhoods and upscale restuarants and eclectic arts. That is, Louisville is a significantly larger Urbanized Area and denser core than Charlotte. Still, Charlotte's sprawl and rapid peripheral growth gives it more metro residents and thus more money. There is also nothing like Charlotte's big banks in Louisville.

Louisville doesn't have a twin, but i would say a cross between Memphis and Columbus would be a good description. We have a Midwest vibe like Columbus with urban hoods and Midwest accents but we also have a southern vibe like Memphis with shotgun houses and southern accents. We are very gritty like both cities and are experiencing moderate population growth like both. Our whole sports lives revolves around college sports like they do in Columbus.

The best comparison for Louisville is actually to metros that are much larger like Cincinnati and Saint Louis. In the urban core, all three cities feel eerily similar. After all, they grew up together.

Like I said up above, I've never been to either city. But the first city that came to mind was Charlotte. I just put down the first thing that came to mind.

I agree it's hard to find Louisville's twin. Southern cities are very unique. Some have potentially sister cities, some don't. I don't think any of the Top 10 Cities in Alabama have an out of state twin.

I thought of either Memphis or Birmingham for they all share grid patterned streets, dense cores, and older urban neighborhoods and much grit.

Memphis vs. Louisville:

Both river cities

FedEx vs. UPS

Tigers vs. Cardinals

Autozone Park vs. Slugger Field (AAA cities)

both cities hosted Tyson fights

cities have a bond through NBA pursuits

Peabody Place vs. 4th Street Live (both cities going through downtown resurgence)

Of course there're numerous differences as well. Louisville's more of a midwest city, Memphis more of the delta. There are actually as many differences as there are similarities, but the historical bonds seem pretty strong.

My girlfriend just interviewed at the dental school in Louisville and she loved it! She's originally from Charlotte and she actually said that Louisville reminded her a lot of Charlotte.

My girlfriend just interviewed at the dental school in Louisville and she loved it! She's originally from Charlotte and she actually said that Louisville reminded her a lot of Charlotte.

I just came back from Charlotte today. I had a job interview there and I have to say that North Carolina is so far ahead of Kentucky it ain't even funny. Everywhere you look in Charlotte there is construction especially downtown. Just like Louisville they have ALOT of construction going on downtown. Believe it or not I seen alot of similarities between Louisville and Charlotte. People say Charlotte isn't as gritty as Louisville or Memphis and I say you are dead wrong. Charlotte had much more of a urban core than I was lead to believe. When you think of Charlotte you think of a city of "new". Charlotte has some nice old dense neighborhoods. I was impressed with the blend of old and new. Charlotte just keeps there older neighborhoods up better than most. The only major difference between Louisville and Charlotte was the exoburbs, but the suburbs was just like anything you would see in the east end and Oldham County. Charlotte and Louisville have more similarites than people realize. Charlotte actually wasn't a bad call. Louisville's night life is better because of the highlands, frankfort ave, and the downtown bars, but Charlotte has the professional sports scene. I had a great trip and I have a tough decision on my hands. I want to stay in Louisville but I can make more money in Charlotte doing the same thing and Charlotte is a great city.

There is an awful lot of construction going on in "uptown" Charlotte right now. I am there almost every weekend because my girlfriend is living there until she starts dental school next fall.

Her number one choice of dental schools so far is actually Louisville, although if she gets into UNC Chapel Hill, she'll probably go there to save money and because it would be better for us. But if she seriously considers Louisville, I will definitely go back with her and check out the city. She really liked it, and she said that I would too.

I was actually thinking Columbus, too, with a blend of Cinci and/or Birmingham thrown in, because of the aged, turn of the century feel. Charlotte razed the Independence building (a beautiful brick covered steel frame building from 1909) a couple of decades ago, and I still find that disturbing, though the city still has a few "gritty" ones left, but mostly, yes, I would say I personally do not think of Louisville/CLT as being similar. Maybe one day Charlotte can rip out 277 and make it a river, every city's CBD should have a river nearby, maybe then.

Nah.

Being fairly ignorant of Louisville....just driving through a few times on road trips between Charlotte and Chicago, the first city that came to mind is Richmond.

As far as the comparison to Charlotte, I don't see it, but then I haven't spent enough time there to understand the city.

As far as considering a move to Charlotte, 502, give it a shot, if you don't like it, you always have the experience of a higher-paying job, which is good leverage for future jobs.

Being fairly ignorant of Louisville....just driving through a few times on road trips between Charlotte and Chicago, the first city that came to mind is Richmond.

As far as the comparison to Charlotte, I don't see it, but then I haven't spent enough time there to understand the city.

As far as considering a move to Charlotte, 502, give it a shot, if you don't like it, you always have the experience of a higher-paying job, which is good leverage for future jobs.

That is a fairly good comparison. Louisville is a bit larger especially the actual city but metro wise Id say they are in the same tier. I think Lville has 150k more in the metro as well. I also agree Louisville isn't much like Charlotte. It is older and denser with a much larger Urban Area but a smaller metro area.

Anyways, how does one judge a city just by driving through? I think Lville and Richmond have much in common as two older cities of the south with historic and dense hoods and kind of a funky artsy vibe. But I dont see how you could know that without viewing multiple neighborhoods in each city, and perhaps exploring the nightlife and culture in each.

Cincinatti perhaps? Or maybe even Baltimore, another city that kind of straddles regions?

A few suggestions:

Baltimore

Omaha

Oklahoma City

Indianapolis

Dayton

Memphis

Hamilton (Ontario)

basically, industrial cities of 750,000-1,500,000 on the borders of different regions

A city I like a whole lot, very unique city. Which means - it is nearly impossible to compare Louisville to other cities. It is a city that is both very southern but also midwestern. But Richmond is the most likely comparison - though still very debatable.

But the comparison with Charlotte surprises me - I found very little similarties. Also Indianapolis - though obviously close, is an odd comparison, Indianapolis has reminded me of Charlotte though. But possibly Columbus & Cincinnati remind me of Louisville.

I don't think that Louisville has just one twin, The cities I think remind me most of Louisville are Memphis, New Orleans, Richmond, and Cincinnati (more as a bigger cousin).

Louisville is a river city much like Cincy and St. Louis, although smaller. I've lived in Louisville and visited Charlotte for work and can't say they remind me of each other. Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta as far as development and city look and feel. Like others have said, Louisville, Cincy and St. Louis developed at about the same time along the rivers. Just a difference in population.

Louisville is a river city much like Cincy and St. Louis, although smaller. I've lived in Louisville and visited Charlotte for work and can't say they remind me of each other. Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta as far as development and city look and feel. Like others have said, Louisville, Cincy and St. Louis developed at about the same time along the rivers. Just a difference in population.