Really bad exposure for South Carolina

monsoon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So should the world continue to stop turning just becuase of Sept. 11? If this were on another day would it be better? I for one don't see the problem here. SC still has a lot of rural folks, and dove hunting is still a popular sport. I think its an innovative way to raise money.

I don't like the idea of hunting doves, but then again I don't like the idea of hunting anything. Is it legal to hunt doves? I have never heard of such a thing, but if it is legal then I don't think we can complain too much. It's not like they are having cock fighting or something.

In terms of having it on 9/11, well, you can't please everyone. I remember people complaing about the new Nicholas Cage 9/11 movie, saying that it is "too early for people to be profiting off of such a tragedy." How long are we supposed to wait, then? Is 5 years not long enough? Who are we supposed to consult in order to find out how long is long enough to move on?

Finally, if that dove hunt event does indeed give SC "bad exposure," then doesn't posting it here do exactly the same thing?!?

In poor taste? Sure. A black eye for the state? I don't really think so. It isn't exactly a national headline.

BoingBoing, where this is posted, as an average daily reach of about 1.5 billion people. This is far larger exposure that if it was an AP article or even on the national news.

Dove hunting is 1) legal 2) common 3) no more or less controversial than any type of bird hunting 4) no less inappropriate on 9/11 than any other day.

A white dove may be the symbol of peace, but I have never seen one of those in the wild. These doves don't look about like any bird.

As for BoingBoing, there 1.5 billion never reached me till now. Never heard of it.

I never heard of it until now either. And that particular entry only had like 4 comments. I don't think most people are really up in arms about this. There are waaayyy more headlines today deserving of our time and attention, and from what I've seen on BoingBoing's home page, none of those stories even remotely qualify.

After reviewing the other 'headlines':

Funny Japanese and Korean TV commercials

Quake rocket-jumper video that kicks ass

Edible candy scabs

and otherwise tech industry news that most people wouldn't care about, not to mention the write up for the invitation didn't mention South Carolina, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dove hunting is 1) legal 2) common 3) no more or less controversial than any type of bird hunting 4) no less inappropriate on 9/11 than any other day.

A white dove may be the symbol of peace, but I have never seen one of those in the wild. These doves don't look about like any bird.

As for BoingBoing, there 1.5 billion never reached me till now. Never heard of it.

Exactly. Also, all doves aren't white. I have never heard of BoingBoing either.

According to one of our web tracking services it is about the 1,200th busiest site on the entire internet which means that a lot of people are looking at it from a global perspective. While a number of people in SC certainly don't think it is a bad idea to go out shooting birds for fun, its not good exposure for the state especially since we are talking about the head of the Board of Education. It just re-enforces the stereotypes about the state that we have discussed in other threads.

ccording to one of our web tracking services it is about the 1,200th busiest site on the entire internet which means that a lot of people are looking at it from a global perspective. While a number of people in SC certainly don't think it is a bad idea to go out shooting birds for fun, its not good exposure for the state especially since we are talking about the head of the Board of Education. It just re-enforces the stereotypes about the state that we have discussed in other threads.

The 1.5 billion number is impossible.

The number of people worldwide that use the Internet is between 600 million - 1 billion.

According to Alexa (which I think you cited. It's not the most accurate - it's easy to game, and slants towards tech (especially webmaster) sites where users have the alexa toolbar installed) Boingboing.net is the 1,253 busiest site online. Busy, but I know people with busier sites and they don't have a reach of 1.5 billion people.

From their own adveritisng file "Boing Boing attracts more than 2 million unique visitors to its site each month, and has over 2.2 million RSS subscribers".

----------

That said, it is indeed bad publicity, but not much worse than some of the other stories out of the state. The flag debacle, being home to Bob Jones, the lottery ordeal, and other controversy's will go down in history - this will just put an extra bad taste in boingboing reader's mouths and probably won't enter the mainstream media channels or be recorded in the history books.

According to Alexa (which you cited, but not the most accurate - it's easy to game)

-------

That said, it is indeed bad publicity.

Actually I did not cite Alexa, but its good to see they confirm how busy this site is. I misspoke about the daily readership, I should have said quarterly. In any case since they are the 1200th busiest site on the internet, they get a lot of readers. It probably won't be long until this hits digg.com as well.

It is indeed bad publicity for the state. It falls right in line with the other thread in this section on why graduates from SC leave the state. It states that 1 out of 5 students leave the state because of the "perception" that SC is intolerant and not progressive. Boingboing is a site that many of these people would read and something such as this re-enforces that image amongst those who really don't know anything about SC.

According to one of our web tracking services it is about the 1,200th busiest site on the entire internet which means that a lot of people are looking at it from a global perspective. While a number of people in SC certainly don't think it is a bad idea to go out shooting birds for fun, its not good exposure for the state especially since we are talking about the head of the Board of Education. It just re-enforces the stereotypes about the state that we have discussed in other threads.

Just to clarify, those stereotypes aren't specific to South Carolina, but to the entire South as a whole: Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. I think they are especially prevalent for Deep South states (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana).

^ I don't see that, at least to that degree, for Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. I could be biased however.

No, you're right. The larger cities are typically seen as more progressive, even if they are located in relatively conservative states like Georgia and NC. Atlanta compared to the rest of Georgia, particularly southern Georgia, provides a stark contrast. But even then, many Southern cities, big and small, still have stereotypes to overcome simply because they're Southern.

I am not sure what the big deal about this is. Almost all states allow hunting, including bird hunting of some kind. Would it be better or worse if it were turkey hunting on 9/11? I think this is a nonissue. And I have never heard of this website either. I would be far more worried about our educational reputation, or redneck reputation than this. Next thread please.

Archived