Really bad exposure for South Carolina

monsoon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, this isn't unique to humans.

At any rate, I don't see the inherent "evil" in domestication or the raising of livestock.

Not sure what you mean by the first statement. As for the second I don't see anything evil in raising livestock, I just don't see the inherent evil in hunting. I reject the

double standard.

And BTW, they would be the first to look down on the culture that you refer to and have no problem exploiting these people just like the doves they are shooting.

That may be true, but no one will listen if they think the person telling them that, thinks they are morally superior simply because they don't enjoy hunting. No one listens to someone that doesn't respect the listener.

It's been my experience that most hunters only kill the animals they plan to eat and I know plenty of people in SC who do hunt that also vote for Democrats. This is quite different from the SC country club set going out to shoot animals for the enjoyment of it. Somehow I just don't see Buffy and Skipper plucking feathers, gutting these doves then frying them up for dinner. And BTW, they would be the first to look down on the culture that you refer to and have no problem exploiting these people just like the doves they are shooting.

That's a lot of strawmen there. And no, I don't expect "Buffy and Skipper" to "fry" them for dinner. I expect them to broil or bake them, which is what you normally do with doves.

Funny thing is that I actually got invited to this.

Ok btoy, it's up to you to fill us in.

Did the hunters cheer when each dove was felled? Were the doves eaten? If so, how were they cooked, fried, baked or broiled? Were the hunters good old country boys or country clubbers?

Take good notes. Better yet, use a hidden camera and film it. You could sell the footage to the news media, or maybe use it to extort money from the GOP.

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but I don't think hunting can be blamed for extinctions in MODERN times. Hunting is based on seasons, and is off limits to endangered species. Loss of habitat due to sprawling development is likely the largest reason for extinctions in modern times.

Also, many species would overpopulate and die of disease and starvation, if hunters did not thin out the ranks. Humans kill animals, just a big animals kill smaller ones. It's just nature's way.

I don't know if the doves will be eaten or sold/given to someone you will consume it. Either way, the species is not endangered, and is just as likely to lose it's life to a predator in the wild anyway.

Vic, right you are. Those white doves that are symbols of peace are an Old World species, and not the ones in question here. The hunt in question on this obscure website (meant to point out the irony, which was unfortunate) are for our native mourning doves, an abundantly common bird in this state. Most every backyard and wild area is brimming with them. Thinning them out by hunting, like deer, is not only necessary, but crucial. I do not hunt, but I must defend hunters-they are some of our best conservationists and protectors of wildlife and habitat. And it is true that only game species are hunted such as dove, quail, turkey, ducks, deer, and the common furbearers like raccoon and squirrel. Most if not all of the bagged doves probably will be eaten, as well. It is an old Southern tradition, and I think it

Archived