PROPOSED: 160 Jewell Street/Northland YMCA Tower

HartfordTycoon

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care about Washington beerbeer and his ridiculous outsiders view, but you people are really ignorant if you're supporting this. In Hartford's history, about 90% of the demolished buildings that were supposed to be torn down for new projects have remained empty or turned into a parking lot. If this actually occurs, Hartford is proving itself to be a city of fools. There is no reason to tear down that building whatsoever. Northland should find other lots if it wants more space.

That restaurant on Newberry Street is part of a row of bars and restaurants. The Pearl Street firehouse is a stand alone building away from other clusters of eating and drinking establishments. That would be an impediment to the success of that type of business in that location.

Actually, it might work. If they are building condos/apts right behind it, plus the ones across the street there will be plenty of people around. Theaterworks is there. Is Tapas still around? It's not terribly far from City Place for a lunch destination.

I just took a stroll over to that intersection since it is/was such a nice day.

After being there on the street I have to say that there really is no good reason why Northland would not save the facade of the fire house. There is also no good reason to "keep" the whole building.

This little area has a few strengths that can easily be built on and it also has several obvious weeknesses.

For Northland, conveniently the strengths all play into their hand, and they also controll a great deal of the areas potential.

First Goodwin Hotel holds Bin 228 and a womans clothing store that go right along with everything this city needs it also has a law office . unfortunately the corner furthest from the YMCA is empty. Also the corner closest to the Y is a small flat parking lot. that Northland owns. I hope they build on this little corner when they build the condo to flesh out the area.

266 Pearl street definately has room to put in something on the ground floor. In reality they could fit two stores or resturants. Its really a shame there is nothing there now above these condos. It actually took away from the look of the building. there should be a classy looking awning or something.

The corner closest to the theater is actually a great building owned by MAX resturant group. They use it as their office but I sincerely someone could talk them into putting an eatery there some day. there is also a law office in their space. next to them is theater works, and several vacant blocks heading toward the SNET building. It would be great of those holes could ever be filled. I mean its really really a shame to have those gaps.

The fire house fits well on that corner and is plenty large enough to fit 2-4 store/resturant fonts along pearl especially with its guts ripped out and purpose built. Basicly astheticly it fots those stores. Obviously the whole block will be developed into the condo so the parking lot operated by LAZ will likely end up looking alot like retail with parking behind all of it.

It seems as though if Northland wants to do it right, and they tend to, they will not only build the condo to maximize Pearl streets viability, but they will include that small parking lot on the Goodwins properrty as well. They would also be wise to push for better use of their goodwin square retail spaces. Also it would be great if someone could get both MAX and 266 Pearl condo to better use their street frontage.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with someone at the planning dept hoping to see plans of this building because I figured they must have something on file. The woman I spoke to, who was NOT the main guy in charge of the CBD said they have not filed any plans yet. She said they were expecting them soon. I am not sure what soon is in government terms, but Just thought that I would pass along that there are as of yet no official proposals.

And as soon as there are I can assure you guys I will check them out. And Mikel I will let you know the fate of the fire house.

I was a little suprised there was nothing filed yet at all. Not even site plans or proposals for variances.

• 2 months later...

Archived