Park 30

barakat

At one point last year their website listed 7 units as sold but has since cleared all the sold signs from its pages. The selling broker told me a month or so ago that they had 12 units "reserved" but as I discussed things with him in more detail it seemed obvious I could still purchase any unit I wanted. Also, the original appraiser for the project told me their bank didn't require any presales. Very scary indeed considering how high end they are trying to be.

www.thewestend.us

I hope the developer ends up successful on this project, but it sounds like he's rolling the dice on this one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen little to no memorable marketing on this project. It makes a huge difference. See ICON, Signature, etc.

Maybe they are relying on the visibility of the building where it is sitting. But you are correct, very little marketing for this one and the sales or rather the reserved units on the web site have swung up and down.

• 2 weeks later...

If this morning's Tennessean can be relied upon (I always have to put this in for that paper and the AJC), there is a picture of this project attached to an online article.

I have to get out in front and announce that this building looks crappy. It reminds me of the bland medical office buildings that popped up around the medical centers back in the 70s and 80s (not just in Nashville I might add). Anyway, we can hope that the final product won't look like that, but I'm sure there will be demand for units there regardless of fit, finish and design.

Here's the URL:

http://www.tennessean.com/assets/gif/DN43190927.GIF

ATL

You hit it on the head...bland. For a project hoping to get $500 sq ft they needed to come out of the box swinging..too bad. Actually looking at all the developments in that image I am thinkng Franklin not West End. lol

This sort of elitest and 'trendy' urban living is only for the rich movement is really disgusting me. If all that continues to be developed are units that only the richest among us can even afford to live in, then I can't see any of these developments helping out the city in the long run. They are good for the developer as far as personal profits are concerned, but not all that wonderful for the city of Nashville or the average Nashvillian. If we ever want hope of urbanity thriving in our city, urban living MUST be championed because it is a smarter choice, and not because it is some present day yuppie 'trend' that only the affluent can afford to partake in.

BNA this is not directed at you but your comment comes up quite often on this board and it riles me a bit. I am mystified by all the talk about the lack of affordable housing in the core. The core and close-in neighborhoods are only NOW becoming only more economically stratified as the upper-middle and wealthy have moved in over the last decade. This is a list of mixed-income neighborhoods surrounding the core

North - was (and still is to a large extent) it has Germantown but it also has Salemtown and the North of Charlotte area

South

I have to get out in front and announce that this building looks crappy. It reminds me of the bland medical office buildings that popped up around the medical centers back in the 70s and 80s (not just in Nashville I might add). Anyway, we can hope that the final product won't look like that, but I'm sure there will be demand for units there regardless of fit, finish and design.

Sorry to take the opposing viewpoint, but this project is easily the best designed of any of the projects highlighted in the article. (They left out the Meridian on Long Bv., by the way, which is a bit schizophrenic in that it cannot decide whether it wants to be faux historic or modern.) Park 30 represents a rather comfortable modernism, sleek but with texture and with smart material transitions. I have every confidence that expense will not be spared on the quality of the final product. In contrast, a number of the other recently constructed projects on the west side are sub-par at best and architecturally lacking in confidence. One even inexplicably bothered to incorporate undersized shutters (as if a loft condo resident has any use for shutters) and unsupported triangular parapets like one might find in a wild west stage set. This city is sadly timid and even conflicted when it comes to contemporary design. I am excited that Park 30 represents an exception.

I drove around West End Park recently and some of the disjointed appearance of the new construction seemed to be blending better. Hopefully, as the area matures, it will be as intended, a walkable, dense, and vibrant urban neighborhood. I welcome the variety of styles we're seeing here and I look forward to the days when the "bunkers" at 31st and Long and 31st and Bell receive proposals for something to dress up those corners. If it's to rework the exisiting blocky apartments or rebuild, something, hopefully, will prompt an improvement in those properties. The area is dramatically different now and with the influx of so many new people, my hope is that it will become as it was envisioned in the sub-area plan. I'm keeping the faith.

And yes, I like this new building for all the reasons so nicely put by cdkoellein.

Sorry to take the opposing viewpoint, but this project is easily the best designed of any of the projects highlighted in the article. (They left out the Meridian on Long Bv., by the way, which is a bit schizophrenic in that it cannot decide whether it wants to be faux historic or modern.) Park 30 represents a rather comfortable modernism, sleek but with texture and with smart material transitions. I have every confidence that expense will not be spared on the quality of the final product. In contrast, a number of the other recently constructed projects on the west side are sub-par at best and architecturally lacking in confidence. One even inexplicably bothered to incorporate undersized shutters (as if a loft condo resident has any use for shutters) and unsupported triangular parapets like one might find in a wild west stage set. This city is sadly timid and even conflicted when it comes to contemporary design. I am excited that Park 30 represents an exception.

No need to apologize, CDK. I welcome disagreement. But then again, I'm an argumentative lawyer. :thumbsup:

I agree with your critique of the several other buildings in that part of WE. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that many of the developers saw an opportunity to make a quick buck w/o regard to the long term effects on that neighborhood. In the process, I think they have come close to squandering a great opportunity to create Nashville's greatest intown neighborhood. Time will tell. I should say that I haven't seen that area in about 8 months, but I'm eager to check out the newer stuff going up. I'm still optimistic that this project will look better. Also, I trust Dave's eye too. So I still have hope. One thing I believe will add to this part of town will be streetscape improvements. Does anybody know of any longterm plans to upgrade sidewalks, curbs, landscaping such as trees, planters, etc. between sidewalks and streets?

Dave, what bunkers are you referring to?

• 6 months later...

Ironically, I thought this was one of the more viable (and attractive) projects proposed in Nashville. I find it hard to believe that the DT condo market is so strong, but the West End market is saturated. Maybe it's just my preference for Midtown showing.

That area is becoming very saturated, however, there will be a few more projects on Long either already under construction or on the way, and most notably is Giarratana Long Blvd development. I think this is going to be on the site of the canceled Meridian project. I think this area is a different market segment from DT. I do know there has to be more affordable unit built in the area at some point. The Median price for this area and DT is way above the median price of condos in the Nashville area, which I think is a little over $150,000. I am probably off a little but not a lot. Most of the condos in the DT area are starting at 140,000. There are not a lot of those units either. So maybe the West End area can support some condos in that price range. I hope so anyway.

Did anybody here catch the article in this week's NBJ about Nashville's midtown development? It quoted Marchetti, who is building Park West and Heflin who is building 1101 Eighteenth. They both said that the appeal to that area is its walkability and ped-friendly access to popular places. Yet, when I saw the accompanying pictures of their respective projects, I was struck by how suburban (Park West) and fortress-looking (1101 Eighteenth). It was disappointing that those two developers don't appear to have a clue as to what contributes to a walkable neighborhood. At least the render of Park 30 was a real urban-style structure. It would have been popular b/c of its access to Centennial Park too.

^Yeah, except this developer's site within that relatively decent area is a dog. I thought their uber-luxury $500/sf concept was misguided from the get go and I think 90% of you would agree if you actually set foot on it. Not sure it makes much of an office site either but I guess they feel like they gotta try something. To be successful I think they'll have to reign in their ambitions because for the same reasons I didn't see the top of the condo food chain longing to be there I don't see the high end office users scrambling for it either.

Archived