Lafayette North news: O&S Holdings and Super Target developments...

breaux

Yesterday the City-Parish Council unanimously approved two TIF (tax incremental finance) zones for north Lafayette.

If approved by the voters in an upcoming election, shoppers in the proposed Super Target shopping center at the southwest quadrant of the I-10/Louisiana Ave. interchange, and the proposed O&S Holdings Lifestyle Center in the northwest quadrant of the I-10/I-49 interchage will pay an extra 1% sales tax (totalling 10%).

This money would be used to build roads, drainage and sewerage for the developments.

Also, a major roads initiative and a bond issue to build a new district courthouse downtown will be on the Nov. ballot.

If the TIF districts pass, the I-10 corridor will sure have a new look, and it would create 3000-4000 new jobs on the northside. I've said it before, but promoting smart growth in that area (and hopefully slowing the southwest expansion of Lafayette) would be so beneficial to Lafayette. Also, the big TND which would compliment the O&S mall would bring people of higher income to the area.

I think we're finally starting to see a northside resurgence, which can only be a good thing.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news for Lafayette. I've always wondered why the stretch of I-10 through Lafyette did not have much in the way of development. This should go a long way in changing that.

It is funny, because so many cities build up along their interstates. Longview, TX is that way, also. The southern part of the city is very undeveloped along the I-20 corridor, and most of the growth is north.

But it's time Lafayette filled out... because Longview doesn't have ANYTHING on Lafayette.

Great to hear this about Lafayette. Get the TIFs approved by the voters, and keep trucking along. For anyone who has visited Louisiana Boardwalk in Bossier, there is no doubt that O&S delivers. Lafayette should be no different, with the record growth that's occurring down there. The new Stirling center will be a nice benefit to Lafayette's north side as well.

Archived