Is the judiciary becoming partisan and politicized?

Snowguy716

The partisan judiciary debate has come to my area. A local church president, and famed local conservative/authoritarian activist is running for judge, and he's pissed at just about everyone and everything.

He wants to put religion back in the government, and he's gonna start with the judiciary. He has proposed such things like government sponsored religious one-room charter schools, is quite clear on his positions of abortion and gay marriage.... and he's running for judge.

The judge he is running against has been on the bench for many many years, and not one person besides his loved ones could name the party he supports. In fact, he follows nothing but the law as it is, not as dictated by the Bible or a narrow, dangerous 'biblical view'.

I know this guy. He was actively involved on the board of the small Christian middle school I went to and fought each and every day to can the principal/chief administrator because she didn't go with the flow of their narrow-minded ideology. (She was a single mother in her 50s with a strong persona but a kind heart and an open mind.) She openly supported contracts with the public schools for sports and extra-curriculars.. and this guy couldn't handle that. He wan't total isolation from the outside world.

Anyway, this is just to show the background of this guy running.... for JUDGE.

If he is elected judge I will do everything in my power to avoid him. He WILL legislate from the bench and will be out to punish the world for not conforming to his sick view of the world. And to think... the extremist muslims are the bad ones? He's an orange calling a tangerine a vegetable. What a hypocrite.

What do you think about politicizing the judiciary? The answer should be obvious, but I'd like to hear your honest opinion.

http://www.highesthill.com/index.php (his website)

http://www.courts.state.mn.us/?page=JudgeB...ue&ID=30043

The Republican party has endorsed Tim Tinglestad. The democrats have given no endorsement.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Republicans are endorsing this guy???? Man, that is crazy. I know that conservatives are always whining about "activist" liberal judges, though I've yet to see one really. Down here we have Superior and State Courts which I'm guessing fulfill the same role as a Disctrict Court in Minnesota. So at least be comforted that if this guy does start handing down wacky decisions it will at least be repealed by the Court of Appeals (or Supreme Court, whatever ya'll have up there). But I guess if you get enough judges thinking like this, then..........that is scary.

the judiciary should be completely unbiased by any political party. now that's not possible, so it should strive (and those who vote people in and appoint justices should strive) to acheive the least amount of bias. anyone who has actively argued or ruled based on their religious beliefs and ignored written law (or interpretted law beyond it's real meaning) should not be placed on the bench.

that being said, it will always bounce around depending on who gets to put judges in place.

In the 1990s in North Florida a lesbian friend of mine had her children taken from her (during a child custody fight) by an openly fundie religious judge. He looked at her straight in the eye and told her her "lifestyle is incompatible with raising children". She was also stripped of weekend visits etc.

In 2000 Bushie was put into the Whitehouse by a 5-4 decision by the essentially right-wing Supreme Court.

Sounds like political stuff to me. Conservatives just love to bemoan the "liberal judiciary". The majority of current judiciary looks right-wing to me, conservative and oppressive.

We strive in this state not to use our religion to justify our votes. You won't see as many people voting in God's name like you see in other places. This is partly attributed to our higher numbers of mainline denominations like Catholics and Lutherans (which are the vast majority).

This guy will likely lose, as with judges, people tend to vote for the incumbent. But, this is a perfect example of where the Minnesota REpublican party is going.. veering dangerously to the right! I don't know how they will win any races this fall at the rate they're going. It's a bleak time for the MN GOP.

I know that conservatives are always whining about "activist" liberal judges, though I've yet to see one really.

There's no such thing as an "activist judge." The phrase is nothing more than a Karl Rovian smear tactic used against judges who refuse to implement the right-wing agenda. Judges who do their job, in other words.

Many of those hypocrites who blasted judges as "activist" praised the same judges when they decided to stop the Florida recounts and hand the presidency to Bush.

Archived