Downtown Getting a Market/Grocery Store

grock

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartford Getting Back A Taste Of Bliss

September 8, 2006

By DANIEL E. GOREN, Courant Staff Writer

For Hartford's new empty nesters and young urban professionals who develop a hankering for a bowl of pasta and some thyme roasted vegetables, a new store is coming to downtown.

Bliss Market, a grocery store with a long Hartford history and a reputation for serving gourmet prepared meals, has signed a 10-year lease in the new Hartford 21 tower. Announced Thursday during the tower's grand opening ceremonies, it was touted by politicians and developers as a sign that the effort to revitalize downtown was moving in the right direction.

With 1,000 housing units either planned, in development or already open, downtown boosters have long said that a new array of services would soon follow.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-super...-headlines-home

It's called "Bliss Market", apparently they have a store in Wethersfield. Anyone ever been there?

Yes...I live in Wethersfield. Bliss Market is actually located in a residential neighborhood that has a small plaza that has a set of parking spaces in front and some parallel parking spaces on side streets. Theres Bliss, a pizza shop, liquor store and barber in the plaza. Bliss is actually a very nice independantly owned supermarket that has an array of prepared foods as well as a meat section and seafood section. They also do sell regular groceris and produce. During holidays Bliss is like Grand Central Station with people waiting for hours to pick up special orders for holiday dinners.

Also near Bliss is a bran new Super Stop and Shop, a Big Y, a Price Chopper, a Shaws, West Side Market (another idenpendant grocer), Sams Club and 2 Wal Marts so for them to do so well they must be pretty good

Yes...I live in Wethersfield. Bliss Market is actually located in a residential neighborhood that has a small plaza that has a set of parking spaces in front and some parallel parking spaces on side streets. Theres Bliss, a pizza shop, liquor store and barber in the plaza. Bliss is actually a very nice independantly owned supermarket that has an array of prepared foods as well as a meat section and seafood section. They also do sell regular groceris and produce. During holidays Bliss is like Grand Central Station with people waiting for hours to pick up special orders for holiday dinners.

Also near Bliss is a bran new Super Stop and Shop, a Big Y, a Price Chopper, a Shaws, West Side Market (another idenpendant grocer), Sams Club and 2 Wal Marts so for them to do so well they must be pretty good

That's great to hear. I'm sure they will be a smash hit Downtown. I don't think they will regret that move at all.

This is definatley good news for downtown. A grocery store is an essential part of a functioning walkable/livable area. With enough residents I'm sure that more grocery stores can thrive and compete. One thing I miss about living in a city is the acessibility of so many grocery stores within walking distance of my apartment.

This is definatley good news for downtown. A grocery store is an essential part of a functioning walkable/livable area. With enough residents I'm sure that more grocery stores can thrive and compete. One thing I miss about living in a city is the acessibility of so many grocery stores within walking distance of my apartment.

Hi all:

In Sarasota, Wild oats will be opening a Store in downtown in an UPSCALE residental tower. In Miami, there's another Wild Oats (or Whole Foods) in another condo tower.

Jim S

Hi all:

In Sarasota, Wild oats will be opening a Store in downtown in an UPSCALE residental tower. In Miami, there's another Wild Oats (or Whole Foods) in another condo tower.

Jim S

Stores such as these...the health food type have not invested in Hartford probably because they are afraid to take a leap of faith which is why in West Hartford there is a Wild Oats at Bishops Corner, a new Whole Foods at Blue Back Square and a Trader Joes at Corbins Corner

Bliss Market was started in the 1930's by Anthony DeFrino in the Italian section of Hartford at the corner of Bliss Street & Franklin Ave. He later moved it down the street a few blocks to the corner of Bond Street & Franklin Ave. where it was a family owned, community grocery store known for the quality of its meats, especially Tony's famous hot Italian sausage. In 1967, his sons, Nick & Charlie, took a big step in moving the store to its present location in Wethersfield where it continued as a typical grocery. That began to change when their sister, Julia Sponzo, a great cook, began to introduce prepared food items at the store. She has passed her talents on to her son, Joe Sponzo, and her nephew and Nick's son, John DeFrino. As an aside, Joe is the original founder of Peppercorn's restaurant in Hartford which he sold to the Cialfi's years ago; he is now the personal chef to Sting. John seized upon and ran with the prepared food concept and introduced the "cookery" at the Bliss. Nick has passed the store on to John, but you will still find Nick behind the meat counter in Wethersfield which will remain open. The real question is whether he's given John the secret Italian sausage recipie! John, the third generation, is proud of the Bliss's family pedigre and is excited about bringing the Bliss back to Hartford as an upscale urban market. Northland, the project developer, is a big supporter and has been very helpful in bringing this about. In a way, the history of the Bliss mirrors the history of downtown Hartford; its return is an important milestone. Hartford downtowner's are finally going to be able to enjoy some great food from a native Hartford born family-food tradition.

Bliss Market was started in the 1930's by Anthony DeFrino in the Italian section of Hartford at the corner of Bliss Street & Franklin Ave. He later moved it down the street a few blocks to the corner of Bond Street & Franklin Ave. where it was a family owned, community grocery store known for the quality of its meats, especially Tony's famous hot Italian sausage. In 1967, his sons, Nick & Charlie, took a big step in moving the store to its present location in Wethersfield where it continued as a typical grocery. That began to change when their sister, Julia Sponzo, a great cook, began to introduce prepared food items at the store. She has passed her talents on to her son, Joe Sponzo, and her nephew and Nick's son, John DeFrino. As an aside, Joe is the original founder of Peppercorn's restaurant in Hartford which he sold to the Cialfi's years ago; he is now the personal chef to Sting. John seized upon and ran with the prepared food concept and introduced the "cookery" at the Bliss. Nick has passed the store on to John, but you will still find Nick behind the meat counter in Wethersfield which will remain open. The real question is whether he's given John the secret Italian sausage recipie! John, the third generation, is proud of the Bliss's family pedigre and is excited about bringing the Bliss back to Hartford as an upscale urban market. Northland, the project developer, is a big supporter and has been very helpful in bringing this about. In a way, the history of the Bliss mirrors the history of downtown Hartford; its return is an important milestone. Hartford downtowner's are finally going to be able to enjoy some great food from a native Hartford born family-food tradition.

Thank you for posting this information. This makes me appreciate what they are setting out to accomplish Downtown even more.

cityfoodie:

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see more family owned supermarkets (like Geissler's and Highland Park) to open in downtown Hartford. (I would love to see Geissler's in the north end. They have a market in Windsor, so they can do it.).

JimS

Stores such as these...the health food type have not invested in Hartford probably because they are afraid to take a leap of faith which is why in West Hartford there is a Wild Oats at Bishops Corner, a new Whole Foods at Blue Back Square and a Trader Joes at Corbins Corner

Cheese and Stuff existed in the West End before Wild Oats bought and shut it down. Perhaps another store can capture the old Cheese and Stuff market along with an emerging market in downtown? If I lived in the West End, I would not want to trek to Whole Foods in Blue Back; the traffic congestion alone would put me off.

By the way this Bliss news is excellent. I think it's a MUCH better win than a chain store. My family has been going there for many years. Aside from being a place where you literally bump into your neighbors and befriend the store workers, Bliss' meat and gourmet selections go unmatched. I can easily see the atmosphere in Wethersfield replicated for a downtown Hartford community. I can also see Bliss make a killing during the weekday lunch hour.

For all of you who haven't been to the store, take the short drive down Wolcott Hill Road -- especially on a Saturday morning. You're in for a treat!

cityfoodie:

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see more family owned supermarkets (like Geissler's and Highland Park) to open in downtown Hartford. (I would love to see Geissler's in the north end. They have a market in Windsor, so they can do it.).

JimS

Geissler's just opened a new store not too long ago in Bloomfield anchoring the Filey Pond Plaza where my store YaketyYak Wireless is located. They have helped us out a bunch increasing traffic in the plaza, we moved in there on a leap of faith since Geissler's was still coming soon when we opened. I don't see them expanding anytime soon though since they paid quite a bit to upgrade the space in Bloomfield. I could be wrong though.

Is Bliss on the corner of Wolcott Hill and Jordan La? If so, I've been in there, very nice, great vibe...

The Bliss is about a mile further down Wolcott Hill Road on the right hand side. I'm told a that since the announcement there have been some people from Hartford dropping in to check it out and leaving with a number of goodies from their meat case and cookery.

Geissler's just opened a new store not too long ago in Bloomfield anchoring the Filey Pond Plaza where my store YaketyYak Wireless is located. They have helped us out a bunch increasing traffic in the plaza, we moved in there on a leap of faith since Geissler's was still coming soon when we opened. I don't see them expanding anytime soon though since they paid quite a bit to upgrade the space in Bloomfield. I could be wrong though.

Tycoon:

Where is Filey Pond Plaza? Is it the old Edward's/Stop&Shop on Mountain Ave? (If not, anything in there?). I know S&S went to where Copaco (then Waldbaum's) was. I used to like going to COPACO CENTER when it was 'RURAL' (the old barn in the parking lot!)

JimS

Archived