New West End 10 Story Condo

g-vegasman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on exactly where it is, I'd support it, especially if it were along the Reedy River near RiverPlace/Camperdown/etc. If it's too far into the West End (beyond River/Augusta/Main intersection, then I'd have a hard time with it. I think the taller buildings such as this should be closer to the core of the same downtown for a number of reasons (density being the least of them).

I believe it will be on the Sun Heating/Cooling property.

Perfect. This will fit very nicely on that site, provided the DPC has the sense of even a mule.

This freaking DPC crap really pisses me off! Look at what is there now, then look at the elevation rendering and tell me it isn't perfect for that spot. These idiots will be at fault for stunting Greenville's growth downtown if they continue this trend. :angry::angry::angry:

Whoa...someone hacked into Skyliner's account and posted from it! :rofl:

This freaking DPC crap really pisses me off! Look at what is there now, then look at the elevation rendering and tell me it isn't perfect for that spot. These idiots will be at fault for stunting Greenville's growth downtown if they continue this trend. :angry::angry::angry:

What do you mean exactly?

Developer Tom Croft, who has already developed two condominium projects downtown, is mulling a 10-story, 60-unit condominium building near RiverPlace in the West End.

FULL STORY

I wonder where this would be? 10 stories is kinda tall for the West End, and could really stand out (in a bad way) depending on where it's located. On the other hand, I would hate to miss out on a great residential development simply because of the height. Thoughts?

I posted this response in the other thread before I saw this one. Nonetheless, here it is:

I wonder where this would be? 10 stories is kinda tall for the West End, and could really stand out (in a bad way) depending on where it's located. On the other hand, I would hate to miss out on a great residential development simply because of the height. Thoughts?

After reading what you guys have said, I agree that it would be fine if it's located on Rhett Street. I would not want a building this tall if it were on Main Street in the West End.

The DPC better not screw us over (again).

I think you have to look into the future. If that building is built there then nicer buildings can be built around it in the vicinity. I like the way the building looked from the drawing and i believe they need to build it. Come on Greenville.....

This is the one that I referred to before about not having a flat roof...

I sure hope this happens. This will really help extend traffic flow off Main and up the River. It seems like it would be up on a hill. This would make even more of an impact on the skyline.

Anyway I think this is great for downtown, even if it doesn't happen due to the DPC, it says great things about how developers see downtown Greenville. Keep your fingers crossed!

One positive from the article is the discussion of the escalating prices of downtown real estate. The developer mentioned that it is getting to the point that people have to build up to justify their investment. That is great news for our skyline going forward! :thumbsup:

I hope this condo gets built. The fact that it is not technically in the West End should hopefully help with the height restriction issue. And it's not like RiverPlace is only a story or two. This building would certainly be taller than the other RiverPlace buildings, but no so much taller that it looks out of place.

Is there a way we can contact the DPC or sign some sort of petition to have our voices heard? I fear that this project will be shot down, and I really hope it's not.

Two key questions:

1. Do you guys think this project is even likely to get approved?

2. If it is approved, is a 10-story building of mostly $200,000-$400,000 condos going to have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of ever being built? If they are requiring 75% of the units to be pre-sold before construction begins, that is a lot. I hope they would consider taking these to auction.

I think it could get approved. We (Harper) built 400 north main for this guy. Maybe harper would bid on it. Looks to have some brick work. Just wait till we get Mcbee station going and the Peacock at the same time. Going to be crazy. Just those two things will change downtown alot with more density and a better skyline. Thats not to mention the camperdown or the pinnacle. I really want the bigger ones to start soon.

-Evan

After the success of RiverPlace, I can't imagine there would be a problem selling these units, especially being located so close to the Reedy River attractions. A 10-story building would have very little - if any - negative impact on the surrounding terrain/skyline. I only see this as a positive development. Even better than I had hoped.

The fact that the lender is requiring 75% is very telling IMO. If this were 2 years ago, or maybe even one, that requirement would be lower. The national economy, especially as it relates to housing, is obviously having an affect, perhaps the local market as well. A few years ago the demand for DT housing exceeded the supply. The supply was very limited then. Supply and demand are much more evenly matched now. The Bookends have been slow to sellout for instance.

Since this developer has done successful DT projects locally already, that is a big plus IMO. He should understand the market pretty well. Although, keep in mind that 400 N. Main was originally 10 storys and was scaled back to 5.

Completion of the McBee Station project (with it's Publix) should give some lift to the demand as well.

As for the building itself. It is a great design. As for whether it is too tall for the area, I would need more info to say for certain. However, Riverplace is like 8 stories, so it isn't that much taller. I would certainly lean towards appoval based on what I do know.

Given the economics of land prices in the area, mid-to-high rises may be the only feasibe way for the area to proceed, unless sellers start to moderate their prices.

I don't see it affecting Riverlace that much (except positively), Hughes is just a major player in development, and they will always get their share of office leases, etc. IMO.

It is on the Sun Heating Property, which is also one of the higher parcels on that road which would give it additional hieght.

It would be nice to see one of the weather ballons flown at 100 feet or so to see the actual height of the building beforehand. At 10 stories and on a high piece of land, do you think it will cast a shadow over any portion of Falls Park or the Camperdown/Main Street intersection later in the day?

I am not trying to be negative (just realistic) but I just do not see this one happening. If you look at all the 9 or 10 proposals from last spring (20 months ago), The city hall hotel, even the Peacock, and the three or four other rumored projects, that brings us to a total of more than 15 projects of mid/highrise perspective. Fact: There have been exactly ZERO groundbreakings! Most have been cancelled, and the rest have been "put on hold." ( I am not counting Riverplace because that was whole entity in itself, a multi-scope project) I do not doubt that the Peacock will happen, and I am fairly confident the Pinnacle eventually will. But until we have any successful groundbreakings (let alone Grand Openings) it is just hard to get excited about any new proposals. Particularly since they seem to offer the same thing as the other ones which have failed to materialize; aka "A unique, one of a kind residence in the heart of DT, with breathtaking views." Then people learn of the high cost and uncertainty of it all, and it ends there. I think Gville developers need to revamp their proposals a little, if they want to get these off their drawing boards. Then there is the whole DPC thing. After the rejection of the old "Green Monster" plan, I do not see this one being passed, although I personally think it would look fantactic, without taking any "historical value" from the westend. Some height is definitely needed in this area. But at best, we might see something around 6 or 7 floors would be my guess. Sorry guys, I am just being realistic.

I am not trying to be negative (just realistic) but I just do not see this one happening. If you look at all the 9 or 10 proposals from last spring (20 months ago), The city hall hotel, even the Peacock, and the three or four other rumored projects, that brings us to a total of more than 15 projects of mid/highrise perspective. Fact: There have been exactly ZERO groundbreakings! Most have been cancelled, and the rest have been "put on hold." ( I am not counting Riverplace because that was whole entity in itself, a multi-scope project) I do not doubt that the Peacock will happen, and I am fairly confident the Pinnacle eventually will. But until we have any successful groundbreakings (let alone Grand Openings) it is just hard to get excited about any new proposals. Particularly since they seem to offer the same thing as the other ones which have failed to materialize; aka "A unique, one of a kind residence in the heart of DT, with breathtaking views." Then people learn of the high cost and uncertainty of it all, and it ends there. I think Gville developers need to revamp their proposals a little, if they want to get these off their drawing boards. Then there is the whole DPC thing. After the rejection of the old "Green Monster" plan, I do not see this one being passed, although I personally think it would look fantactic, without taking any "historical value" from the westend. Some height is definitely needed in this area. But at best, we might see something around 6 or 7 floors would be my guess. Sorry guys, I am just being realistic.

Yeah your probably right. Actions speak louder than words.

Archived