New West End 10 Story Condo

g-vegasman

I am not trying to be negative (just realistic) but I just do not see this one happening. If you look at all the 9 or 10 proposals from last spring (20 months ago), The city hall hotel, even the Peacock, and the three or four other rumored projects, that brings us to a total of more than 15 projects of mid/highrise perspective. Fact: There have been exactly ZERO groundbreakings! Most have been cancelled, and the rest have been "put on hold." ( I am not counting Riverplace because that was whole entity in itself, a multi-scope project) I do not doubt that the Peacock will happen, and I am fairly confident the Pinnacle eventually will. But until we have any successful groundbreakings (let alone Grand Openings) it is just hard to get excited about any new proposals. Particularly since they seem to offer the same thing as the other ones which have failed to materialize; aka "A unique, one of a kind residence in the heart of DT, with breathtaking views." Then people learn of the high cost and uncertainty of it all, and it ends there. I think Gville developers need to revamp their proposals a little, if they want to get these off their drawing boards. Then there is the whole DPC thing. After the rejection of the old "Green Monster" plan, I do not see this one being passed, although I personally think it would look fantactic, without taking any "historical value" from the westend. Some height is definitely needed in this area. But at best, we might see something around 6 or 7 floors would be my guess. Sorry guys, I am just being realistic.

A dose of realism is appreciated. That said, I think you are overstating a couple of things.

One, the Peacock announcement was just made and the groundbreaking was stated as September, so they still have time to meet that. Also, it is a hotel, there are no pre-sales requirements. The City Hall hotel proposalis still very new, so I wouldn't lump them in.

Additionally, the Green Monster plan involved demo of a somewhat historic building. That issue isn't involved here.

One reason a lot of these projects didn't happen is that Riverplace absorbed a lot of the office space demands.

Otherwise, I am with you though, seeing is believing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mixed opinions about this. I think that if it can be built that it will be a major boost to downtown. However, I share the same reservations as many of you do. The lack of momentum on the existing projects is very telling of the demand for downtown living. Its obvioulsy not nonexistant, but there is an oversaturation of units in the market. The West End is still transitioning from vacant and dilapidated to something much better... so this project might be ahead of its time. I think patience is needed.

Well put, Spartan.

I think the DT/West End residential market is being held back by the fact that prices just got so high so fast. Speculation allowed land prices to accelerate and construction costs soared too. That double whammy caused the price escalation. Greenville isn't a big 'singles' city like Atlanta, for instance. There are only so many young professionals that make the kind of salaries that are required to support a mortgage on a $250k unit. That leaves the empty nesters market to absorb the DT housing supply.

Personally, I would prefer the Camperdown to withdraw it's plans, and maybe that would allow this project, which IMO is better sited, to actually break ground. The Camperdown site is still a little too removed from everything else, waiting 2-3 years and then bringing it back might be the best idea.

• 1 month later...

I hope it happens, but this illustrates the rediculousness of the DPC. We now have to try to tailor our plans to satisfy eight people if we want Gville to have any progress! Ok, maybe I overstated that a little, but come on DPC, just let Gville grow, and stop trying to get a power trip by controlling everything. In this case, a 10 story building with slighty smaller footprint would make more of a statement for Gville than an 8 story cube.

As for the Easley developer plan: sounds nice, but how many more 600k+ condos does DT need? This would really set a mark that would price most current residents out of this area, and while it needs revitalization, it is not fair for the current residents. Why not put the expensive condos in another part of DT, and put some nice affordable ones in this district?

60 condos seems to be a bit much to me, i think they might have a hard time selling that many, depending on price of course...for instance, look at The Camperdown (granted location is always a big factor), it has/had 81 units and it hasn't gotten off the ground yet.....is it dead? Anyway, i think it might be flooding the market a bit....

60 condos seems to be a bit much to me, i think they might have a hard time selling that many, depending on price of course...for instance, look at The Camperdown (granted location is always a big factor), it has/had 81 units and it hasn't gotten off the ground yet.....is it dead? Anyway, i think it might be flooding the market a bit....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at the DPC meeting yesterday and Tom Croft was their to make a couple of changes to his building.

1 Reduce the size by about 15,000 sq. ft. by removing the three story wing

2 Moved the main parking entrance to Rhett street

3 Now has some surface parking were the wing was located

4 No retail or office space - all residential

Changes were approved by the DPC

I did not get to ask Tom any question about start etc. But it appears to me to be moving forward. :thumbsup:

The main building is still 8 stories tall and will contain about 50 condo units.

With this building setting on top of the hill on rhett street IMO will have a big impact.

I was at the DPC meeting yesterday and Tom Croft was their to make a couple of changes to his building.

1 Reduce the size by about 15,000 sq. ft. by removing the three story wing

2 Moved the main parking entrance to Rhett street

3 Now has some surface parking were the wing was located

4 No retail or office space - all residential

Changes were approved by the DPC

I did not get to ask Tom any question about start etc. But it appears to me to be moving forward. :thumbsup:

The main building is still 8 stories tall and will contain about 50 condo units.

With this building setting on top of the hill on rhett street IMO will have a big impact.

• 1 month later...
Because I wanted to know if anybody's seen a website, new renderings, etc. yet. Kind of odd we haven't especially seeing how we have of the East Court Street tower, which was announced later than this one.

Archived