Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seabreeze

Great Urban Design Example

3 posts in this topic

I am absolutely in love with the building that includes the Attic Bar, Bianco, Phil's Tavern, and a couple of other bars... It has really created something unique in Charlotte's nightlife, and I think it is def. moving us in the right direction. What are the chances of having more spots like this built uptown? I think it is absolute genius, and I think an area with about 10 buildings like this mixed with about 10 free standing retail establishments built in a Charleston-ish way would be the beginnings of a great stoll district, as well as give tourists something to talk about and a reason to come back. I think if Levine was smart he would build that across from the arena, or maybe it could be an idea for the Nascar Village...

What do you all think?

I am absolutely in love with the building that includes the Attic Bar, Bianco, Phil's Tavern, and a couple of other bars... It has really created something unique in Charlotte's nightlife, and I think it is def. moving us in the right direction. What are the chances of having more spots like this built uptown? I think it is absolute genius, and I think an area with about 10 buildings like this mixed with about 10 free standing retail establishments built in a Charleston-ish way would be the beginnings of a great stoll district, as well as give tourists something to talk about and a reason to come back. I think if Levine was smart he would build that across from the arena, or maybe it could be an idea for the Nascar Village...

What do you all think?

I agree...every time I pass by that corner on 5th and Tryon, I think about seeing it as if I were an out-of-towner. I tend to do that because I travel a lot and it seems like I'm in a different city, checking out a different nightlife scene, nearly every week. With those mentioned as well as Ri-Ra, Madison's, Blue, Connolly's, and Buckhead Saloon, Belle's, Menage, and Latorre's, and Captial Grill all in view just down a street from that corner, I would have to say that if I came to Charlotte unfamiliar with this city and saw this section of town, I would think that Charlotte had one hell of a party going on!

BTW, I do love Attic Bar -- best music downtown by far. They actually play stuff that isn't on top 40 radio...imagine that!

My only complaint, especially on 5th st., is the sidewalks. Why cant we have 20ft+ sidewalks in this town. More outdoor seating, more pedestrian friendly, and would give plenty of room for street vendors to park their carts wherever there is a blank wall. Is it because our blocks are too small for developers to fit buildings into that space?

It's certainly a great section of uptown though. I love to people watch, so many times I go to the outdoor seating at Zink or RiRa's on a Fri. or Sat. night. The sidewalks are packed with all walks of life, and drunk people are fun to watch. :)