Chrysler

monsoon

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

China actually does produce cars but, right now, most are absolute garbage. Both Ford and GM have had joint ventures over there for 10+ years though and produce mostly luxury-end cars for the domestic market. I don't think many of them would do well over here.

There was something on NPR or some other informative media source a few days ago that discussed how Japan has focused for so long on quality and reputation and that's one reason why they're winning. The fact that the US government still has to levy heavy import penalties on Japanese cars is, I think, another reason.

My last two cars have been Nissans, and I'm extremely happy with them. The problems they both had were usually my fault (the exhaust system actually detached on my Sentra once, but the car still ran and it only cost me about $100 to fix) and were even rare at that. Not only that, but they're relatively cheap initially.

I owned a Chevy once (hand-me-down from my sister) and swore off American cars because of it. The weird and often expensive problems that car had should be a lesson to Detroit in and amongst itself. The American people now refuse to accept having to replace the alternator at 60k, or the ABS system at 100k.

... And Hummers are supposed to be tough.

That is only true for the Hummer H1 which is a military vehicle.

The Hummer H2 and H3 only share a name with the H1 but have nothing to do with its design.

The H2 is a Chevy Tahoe, previous design, with a big plastic and steel body bolted on it. It is as safe (or less as it is more top heavy) as a Tahoe. The H3 is built on the smaller Chevy Tahoe platform. Same story as the H2.

If the driver of that semi died, then it must have been a freak accident such as a rollover.

This one got in a head on collision with a semi in Russia.

image0zp5.jpg

The semi didn't fare much better.

I wonder if that Hummer possibly had been in a wreck in the states before going to Russia? There is a large demand for Western vehicles over there and a vehicle that might not be able to be resold here could probably easily be sold in Russia with no questions asked or history available to the buyer. Just a thought....

I know I've been approached twice by exporters of used cars to buy a car of mine to ship over there....

If the driver of that semi died, then it must have been a freak accident such as a rollover.

Here are two pics of the semi.

image4yd2.jpg

image11ng3.jpg

That's interesting about the H2 being a glorified Tahoe.

GM always plays those games, that's probably part of why they are in the fix that they are in. They have many of the same product called different names with slight differences.

That's interesting about the H2 being a glorified Tahoe.

GM always plays those games, that's probably part of why they are in the fix that they are in. They have many of the same product called different names with slight differences.

Yep, the H1 is the only real hummer they sell, and they have discontinued it mainly because it has no practical purpose beyond the military. If you have ever looked at one, it is huge but yet has almost no room for passengers sitting inside.

The only real heavy duty SUV that you can put in your garage that you can buy now is this.

suv_ext_5_main.jpg

It's built like a tank. Ironically this is one of Dr. Z's vehicles but don't dare call him that when you are talking about Mercedes.

Haha....

The only real heavy duty SUV that you can put in your garage that you can buy now is this.

suv_ext_5_main.jpg

It's built like a tank. Ironically this is one of Dr. Z's vehicles but don't dare call him that when you are talking about Mercedes.

i don't follow trucks too closely since i prefer lower gas mileage... but what about the toyota FJ cruiser? it reminds me of the orignial land cruiser.

Yep, the H1 is the only real hummer they sell, and they have discontinued it mainly because it has no practical purpose beyond the military. If you have ever looked at one, it is huge but yet has almost no room for passengers sitting inside.

suv_ext_5_main.jpg

haha. That's the greatest auto advertisement ever. The funny thing about the G class is that it's rather luxurious too. It's awesome.

With all the talk today, Ford's turnaround plan may not go far enough. Like some headlines say, "It's the product, stupid." Outside of the F-series, Focus, and Mustang, venerable Ford has few good selling vehicles and SUV's are definetly out of favor. The Milan and Focus have had limited success, but nowhere near sales goals. The 500 is a huge disappointment (I drove one as a rental car in L.A., nice car but absolutely bland.) The only have a 60% vehicle replacement schedule between now and 2009(?) which is below industry average. If Ford survives, they will be a much smaller, less important company giving up a LARGE chunk of market share . But bankruptcy looms very large at the moment.

GM, which was considered the best candidate for bankruptcy no less than 6 months ago, may be able to pull it's plan off. However, it also still has the bankruptcy specter hanging around. Product replacement is going to be quick and plentiful at GM which may help lessen the sting of the sudden evaporation of SUV sales.

Chrysler, also burned by the SUV abandonment, has had to idle several truck/SUV plants as SUV sales plummet. They have also slashed profits forecast to a loss at Chrylser of over 1.5 billion dollars this quarter. Again, product introduction, refresh, and replacement should help Chrylser lessen the damage of SUV sales. They are fortunate to have 3 hot products, the 300, the Charger, and the Caliber.

Our big three need to build exciting cars again, which they can do! Let's just hope we can get the quality and reliability pumped up too!

Man u r in luv with that car!

DO YOU SLEEP WITH HER TOO??

:P

LOL, no I don't sleep with the car, but I do love it; btw HIS name is Thor. :P

I think that is the first volvo that I have seen of that color.

Volvo only exports about 2500 R's into the U.S. every year so there are probably only a couple hundred that are that color as they just introduced that color in '06.

With all the talk today, Ford's turnaround plan may not go far enough. Like some headlines say, "It's the product, stupid." Outside of the F-series, Focus, and Mustang, venerable Ford has few good selling vehicles and SUV's are definetly out of favor. The Milan and Focus have had limited success, but nowhere near sales goals. The 500 is a huge disappointment (I drove one as a rental car in L.A., nice car but absolutely bland.) The only have a 60% vehicle replacement schedule between now and 2009(?) which is below industry average. If Ford survives, they will be a much smaller, less important company giving up a LARGE chunk of market share . But bankruptcy looms very large at the moment.

GM, which was considered the best candidate for bankruptcy no less than 6 months ago, may be able to pull it's plan off. However, it also still has the bankruptcy specter hanging around. Product replacement is going to be quick and plentiful at GM which may help lessen the sting of the sudden evaporation of SUV sales.

Chrysler, also burned by the SUV abandonment, has had to idle several truck/SUV plants as SUV sales plummet. They have also slashed profits forecast to a loss at Chrylser of over 1.5 billion dollars this quarter. Again, product introduction, refresh, and replacement should help Chrylser lessen the damage of SUV sales. They are fortunate to have 3 hot products, the 300, the Charger, and the Caliber.

Our big three need to build exciting cars again, which they can do! Let's just hope we can get the quality and reliability pumped up too!

american auto-makers are falling victim to the demands of the unions. that's part of their problem. the other part is they just don't make nice cars.

personally, with the SUV backlash lately because of gas prices (and how they're ugly and all that), i'd like to see minivans make a comeback. chrysler can definitely work on theirs since they used to have the best. why not becmoe the best minivan again? they have some nice features that the others don't. while i love station wagons, if i ever had a need for a larger vehicle, i'd go with a minivan...

american auto-makers are falling victim to the demands of the unions. that's part of their problem. the other part is they just don't make nice cars.

personally, with the SUV backlash lately because of gas prices (and how they're ugly and all that), i'd like to see minivans make a comeback. chrysler can definitely work on theirs since they used to have the best. why not becmoe the best minivan again? they have some nice features that the others don't. while i love station wagons, if i ever had a need for a larger vehicle, i'd go with a minivan...

While it would be nice to retake some category outside of muscle cars and larger trucks (sorry Toyota) I doubt the minivan market will ever become America's Hollywood style again. Plus, Honda and Toyota have had the best minivans for the last decade in almost every class. I can't see domestic retaming the timid end of any vehicle lines again. With the second coming of Alfa, MG, and Lotus, it would not surprise me to see more European makers reentering the american market once again to compete with the resurgence of the compact car market.

Archived