Boring Charlotte

King_of_queen

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see Barebones Theater Group's musical stage production of Debbie Does Dallas at Spirit Square last Friday night. Hilariously bawdy! My face hurt when it was over from laughing so much. Do yourself a favor and check it out--unles you're easily offended, then by all means stay home and knit.

Charlotte's not so boring--you just have to look a little harder sometimes.

Sunshine and Daydreams in NoDa has a similar vibe to IE. Manifest Music has some fun junk too. My favorite store of all would have to Instant Karma on lower Lexington Avenue in Asheville. Of course that's probably because they have walls of political and music stickers. There are worse addictions to have....Lex Ave is the last truly authentically funky street in downtown Asheville. But the tidal wave of luxury condos and upscale bistros going up in Asheville has even begun to reach there. I get more depressed every time I visit as more funky places go under.. At least Infinity's End stores are located in areas not ripe for rapid gentrification.

I saw Jerry Seinfeld at Ovens last night... Great show if you haven't seen him before. He had me in tears from laughing quite a few times. He did two shows, both of which were sold out. I had never been to Ovens before and have to say that while it shows its age on the outside, they've done a great job on the inside. Very updated and modern on the inside. Plus you couldn't beat the drink prices either. $5.50 for a 24 ounce beer. That would probably cost you twice as much at a Bobcats or Panthers game. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for more shows there.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested there will be a party at The Visulite this weekend called Bloom. Same folks that do the Glitterati Ball in the Fall. These are always fun, dancers on podiums throughout the crowd, great music from DJ Wiiz kid. $5 at the door all proceeds to Malaria Relief in Africa. Suggested dress: fun, festive, spring wear :)

• 5 months later...

Last minute notice but Charlotte's first Pecha Kucha is tonight! The event begins at Petra's on Commowealth at 7:30. The show mainly consists of artists and other creatives showing slides,pictures, etc etc of subjects of interest to them in rapid succession. Submissions have been closed but it's open to the public. $5 at the door. The idea began in Europe. It's being sponsored locally by Point8 Forum.

^ It was a lot of fun, Petras was quite packed. To a sardine extreme. They had set up the back room for overflow purposes. Video was in there to see the slides from the main room. But there was no sound so everyone jammed into the main bar. All that aside the different artists slides were very interesting and diverse. Definitely seems like there will be demand another PK. Charlotte is dominated by a buttoned down vibe but there is a growing appetite for alternative and artsy events like this. Point8 is a great group. I hope to be able to attend more events in the future.

For wingnuts from the left side of the spectrum... :ph34r:

Friday, Sept. 26 Presidential Debate Party at 7:00 pm at Charlotte Energy Solutions, 337 Baldwin Ave, Charlotte, NC 28204. Be around like minded folks at Energy Solutions. There will be wide screen TV accomodations, free beer, a corn bar and much more. So come on out & watch it together. Info: Mark at (704) 333-4358

Archived