Charlotte Google Maps Update

Regarding aerial vs. satellite photography,

If it's taken from an airplane, how do we end up with things like this? Would that mean that this plane is on approach or has just taken off?

I don't think I said all of Google's imagery was aerial, just the area in question (Charlotte) - If I did then I typed incorrectly. You'll notice that the imagery credits at the bottom of the window change as you pan around - Digital Gloge, Terrametrics, etc. Some of those companies (DigitalGlobe, SpaceImaging) actually have satellites constantly taking images (you can pay them to pick up a certain area if you have deep pockets), many of the others buy/license imagery from counties/cities that produce high-res imagery for themselves.

The image you linked could very well be from a satellite as it is outside of CharMeck's territory.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, there are a lot of cities that deserve the birds eye but don't have it, really odd. In Alabama the only one I've seen thus far with a "bird's eye" is Gadsden.

I think it has something to do with the city and or state... b/c there are no places in the carolinas w/ Birds Eye Imagery.... in our border states, Virginia Beach and Savannah and Atlanta have it though

Hmmm, I'm not sure about start dates on projects and I'll certainly defer to you guys on that, but the county doesn't make composite images from different seasons - they are composite images in the sense that the plane makes multiple passes taking multiple, overlapping images and all those are mosiaced together, but all from the same general time - those are almost certainly from the same day if not the same image frame. I don't see Google investing the time to mosiac diffferent years images either. I tried looking on the GIS dept page at charmeck.org, but they don't have much in the way of metadata and they don't even list the 05 imagery yet.

There is no other possible explanation. The Epicentre construction sight changes very often. That site in the google image, is definitely 1/27. Browse through the construction image history. The site changes so much, it cannot possibly be any other day. But noonish 1/27 is an exact match. However, M Street started to be built in October.

Ok. So based on a comparison with the the 210 Trade Webcam, and the Google Maps image of the site.

It was midday on January 27.

Here is the Oxblue webcam pic from 1/27/06 at 11:47 next to the Google Maps pic of Epicentre. If you browse around to the next day, there were changes enough that they won't match.

M Street was definitely not a grass field on January 27.

A little late to the party, but I'd like to add my applause for this. Nice work. :thumbsup:

In the lower right hand corner of Google Maps, it tells you that the images are courtesy of the York County Government. York County just submitted their images and Google just patched them into Google Maps at the same they did for Charlotte.

They are a different color because they probably took the pictures at a different time, and/or used different equipment.

• 1 year later...

Google Earth has been updated again for Charlotte (and many other metros). If I had to guess off-hand, I would say the images are from late last spring.....I'm sure someone can probably come up with the exact week by looking at webcams.

Anyway, enjoy.

Google Earth has been updated again for Charlotte (and many other metros). If I had to guess off-hand, I would say the images are from late last spring.....I'm sure someone can probably come up with the exact week by looking at webcams.

Anyway, enjoy.

I was enjoying this the other day. I noticed that it now includes a great area including Monroe, Concord, etc that weren't included before (that I remember).

Still awaiting Street View. :dontknow:

Exact same photos as the Polaris "2007 Aerial" layer. By looking at the Wachovia and Novare sites, they are prior to Mar 29 2007 (the first photos I took of those sites), but probably only a week or few. These new(er) aerials aren't in Google Maps yet, as that usually(?) lags Earth by at least a few days.

Uptown appears to be the same for the Google maps. Epicentre is the same as it was. M Street, Quarterside, Catalyst, and other sites don't even show up as started. The Renaissance Place buildings is still there, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Google Maps just caught up to Google Earth.

MStreet, Quad, Enclave, Epicentre, BofA Superblock, Wachovia, Novare, Avenue, and Trademark sites all show much more progress than they used to. It is still from about a year ago, as others mentioned, but at least it shows all those projects as existing, unlike before.

If you haven't installed the new Earth 4.3, do it now. They added/enhanced the 3D Buildings feature, along with improving the navigation. I don't know how they did the buildings, but the new Wachovia is there, at about 5 stories tall, and even Catalyst at 1 story tall.

I had previously installed a bunch of buildings from the Sketchup Warehouse, or whatever it is called. So if you've done the same, turn all those off and you'll see the default included buildings. Amazing. You can even see a (blurry) scaffold on the side of 400 S Tryon from when they were doing the re-caulking.

Examples:

ge43clt1.jpg

ge43clt2-1.jpg

Archived