Hauntings?

Beowulf

I guess it was a combination of seeing Halloween stuff in the stores already and watching an episode of Ghosthunters on SciFi tonight that got me thinking about this. Anyone know of any good haunted locations in Greenville? I'm sure with its long history, there have got to be some great ghost stories about the area.

(I don't believe in ghosts, but love a good tale.)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested, too. I suspect there may be some good ghost stories coming from around the Springwood Cemetery. If I recall, wasn't someone conducting haunted walks through Springwood for fundraising a year or so back during halloween time?

I think that was last year.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw a sign on the back of a PediCab recently that read "Ask us about our Ghost Tours"

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. I remember back during the 80's when I was a student at North Greenville College my room mate and some other people went up to the top of Paris Mountain ('m not sure if it was the park section or the section with the radio towers and gated homes) and I was told that it was bad to go up there because their was either a witch's house, satanic church or something similiar) anyway it was told to me that if you got too close to the place the battery in your car would die.

I was also told by my grandmother that some people she knew on the road that goes behind the Kmart near the Memorial Hospital had a house that would haunted and people in it would often see a shadowy figure at the foot of the bed or in the garden at night.

When I was a younger I was a scout who attended and later was on the staff at Camp Old Indain where I heard many stories about the place. Not sure how many were original to the place but as someone on staff I carried on the tradition when it came to campfires. :whistling:

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw a sign on the back of a PediCab recently that read "Ask us about our Ghost Tours"

Now that'd be wicked awesome. Either the pedicabs or the downtown greenville history tours could probably provide a pretty cool halloween time haunted tour of Greenville.

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. I remember back during the 80's when I was a student at North Greenville College my room mate and some other people went up to the top of Paris Mountain ('m not sure if it was the park section or the section with the radio towers and gated homes) and I was told that it was bad to go up there because their was either a witch's house, satanic church or something similiar) anyway it was told to me that if you got too close to the place the battery in your car would die.

I was also told by my grandmother that some people she knew on the road that goes behind the Kmart near the Memorial Hospital had a house that would haunted and people in it would often see a shadowy figure at the foot of the bed or in the garden at night.

When I was a younger I was a scout who attended and later was on the staff at Camp Old Indain where I heard many stories about the place. Not sure how many were original to the place but as someone on staff I carried on the tradition when it came to campfires. :whistling:

Interesting anecdotes! I somehow knew we could count on either whitehourseview or you to provide one. That abandoned house on the side of Paris Mountain underneath the towers is very freaky. I wonder if that's the place your roommate and others were referencing?

I remember back during the 80's when I was a student at North Greenville College my room mate and some other people went up to the top of Paris Mountain ('m not sure if it was the park section or the section with the radio towers and gated homes) and I was told that it was bad to go up there because their was either a witch's house, satanic church or something similiar) anyway it was told to me that if you got too close to the place the battery in your car would die.

When I was a kid we were always told to stay away from Paris Mtn. at night because of occult activity. We would also bring our pets inside on Halloween, so they would be safe from "animal sacrifices".

I wonder if the Paris Mountain stories have anything to do with the old Altmont Hotel. After the hotel went out of business, it became Holmes Bible College, where my grandfather and grandmother taught for a number of years.

I checked out a couple of SC ghost hunter websites. Most comments reference a place called the "Children's Cemetery" located on Duncan Chapel Road near Furman. I'm not sure where that would be.

I would imagine that the location of the old tuberculosis hotel on Piney Mountain would be ripe for haunting.

As for keeping pets in because of occult activity, we have a black cat that we keep in a week before Halloween. We at already rescued one cat that appeard to have ritual abuse and returned it to its owners. Since then we keep ours in. There are some sick idiots out there.

I wonder if the Paris Mountain stories have anything to do with the old Altmont Hotel. After the hotel went out of business, it became Holmes Bible College, where my grandfather and grandmother taught for a number of years.

I checked out a couple of SC ghost hunter websites. Most comments reference a place called the "Children's Cemetery" located on Duncan Chapel Road near Furman. I'm not sure where that would be.

I would imagine that the location of the old tuberculosis hotel on Piney Mountain would be ripe for haunting.

As for keeping pets in because of occult activity, we have a black cat that we keep in a week before Halloween. We at already rescued one cat that appeard to have ritual abuse and returned it to its owners. Since then we keep ours in. There are some sick idiots out there.

It's odd, you can find dozens of books on coastal ghosts, but none on Greenville ghosts. I've heard lots of stories about several downtown buildings including Soby's, Westin, Old Main Library

It's odd, you can find dozens of books on coastal ghosts, but none on Greenville ghosts. I've heard lots of stories about several downtown buildings including Soby's, Westin, Old Main Library

It seems that you never hear much about "modern" ghosts. Most stories are centered around fairly old locations such as the buildings you mentioned. There never seem to be good ghost tales about places like Wachovia Place or the Peace Center, unless said buildings were build on some ancient burial ground, etc., etc.

It seems that you never hear much about "modern" ghosts. Most stories are centered around fairly old locations such as the buildings you mentioned. There never seem to be good ghost tales about places like Wachovia Place or the Peace Center, unless said buildings were build on some ancient burial ground, etc., etc.

Interesting point

For some reason I don't think a lot of modern building are designed to gather enough psychokinetic energy (PKE) that would power a portal that would allow the likes Gozer, along with the ghosts of the dead, to enter the world. However if things change and the PKE reading start to rise some business partners and I have a plan.

:shades:

It's a quiet day at work (thankfully) so I was able to find the following. These were taken from a site called Shadowlands Haunted Places. There are listings for all of South Carolina.

Greenville - Children's Graveyard - A graveyard behind a gas station near Furman U., mainly for children. Tombstones range from the late 1700's to late 1800's. Lights, laughter, running sounds.

Greenville - Embassy Suites - Lights turn on and off at random. Doors fly open. During construction (Which was halted for almost 2 years when investors pulled, after staying on the grounds and then leaving abruptly.) many reports were sent in to Greenville police department that someone was staying in the rooms because the lights were on in the building. No electricity was on in the building at the time. PD responding to repeated calls secured the area- and still received complaints. The Golf course has three places that will NOT grow grass. Wailing noise has been heard on the course, followed by foliage disturbances.

Greenville - Old Tuberculosis Hospital - Update: also known as Devil's Castle - Has since burned down - Reports of footsteps that break into a run, then screams, on the first floor. On the third floor feelings of being pushed accompanied by loud clattering in the hall and items moving, and apparitions. Singing has been heard- Formerly listed as Taylors - TB Asylum then a work release prison, & Travelers Rest - TB hospital/Insane Asylum.

Greenville - Route 107 - this is a ghost of a young man named Larry Stevens (commonly known as The Hitchhiker) who's plane crashed on Route 107 during the 1950's. People have seen a man on dark and rainy nights walking along Route 107 and disappearing.

Greenville - Tanglewood Middle School - In the 1950s, after the schools construction, a girl was killed in the Girls Locker Room. From legends told you can see a dark shadow slamming the girls locker room door, many people have saw this acclaimed shower. In the boys Locker Room the showers will go off and on by themselves, and accasionally a locker door will slam. Also, the lights will go off automatically. The sixth grade hall, on rainy days you will see wet footprints made by no one when your alone. Also, there is rumor to be a lower sixth grade hall in which a mad man entered and killed nearly every student, the blood on the walls is said to seep through the fresh paint. The lower sixth grade hall was said to be buried after the incedent, and tops of door frames have been found.

Taylors - Devenger Road - It is said that on Halloween night a woman stopped on the bridge to get her kids something out of the trunk. A truck came and didn't stop in time and knocked the car off the bridge and killed the woman and her kids. If you go to the bridge and put your front two tires in the hump, something will push you out of it and up the hill. You will roll back about a foot and stop on the hill. People say it is the woman trying to push you to safety.

Mauldin - NHC - NHC is a care facility for the elderly. So apparently many of elderly folks have passed away at this facility. One night while workers were on night shift one of the staff saw a ghostly white woman that had just passed away the night before walking down the hall in a white gown. She kept quiet thinking the nurses would think differently of her until the nurse went in her old room to give her roommate her meds and went to throw the cups in the trash and the trash can moved half way across the room. Then she went back to the nurse's desk in half a breath and saw her coming down the hall. The nurse then decided to ask the aide if she saw that and the aide decided to tell her what happened 10min. before that. They insisted on warning the morning staff when they arrived.

The Tanglewood Middle story sounds a bit more far-fetched than the others. I think if a "mad man entered and killed nearly every student" there would be more information available.

For some reason I don't think a lot of modern building are designed to gather enough psychokinetic energy (PKE) that would power a portal that would allow the likes Gozer, along with the ghosts of the dead, to enter the world. However if things change and the PKE reading start to rise some business partners and I have a plan.

:shades:

Just make sure that the DPC is okay with it first. ;)

I found something interesting about Greenville ghosts after reading this site.

Go to www.shelorandson.com and look for yourself

Shameless self promotion? :rofl: Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try to get a copy of that book. This is a topic that fascinates me. Which reminds me of something else that was mentioned in this week's Journal...but I'll go back to that thread for that one.

Archived