Two new parking garages on Brevard Street uptown

Miesian Corners

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems that developers are planning to develop the block surrounded by Brevard, Caldwell, 3rd and 4th streets with a 10 level parking garage. Ground floor will contain at least 30K square feet of retail space. Here's the story: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15466802.htm

This development would be well placed with access on 3rd and 4th making it easy to get in and out of Uptown by car, and be a short walk to the Arena and the Hall of Fame/Convention Center Area. Surely the garage will be "wrapped" given the Uptown vistas looking west today and to the north and the south in the not too distant future.

This is great news. It gets rid of a nasty gravel lot, and fills a need of parking. TC...I think the retail may be lacking at first, but having the storefronts there initially will allow for re-tenanting as demand in that area increases.

Now, if they could just eliminate that horrible Norfolk/Southern lot across the street....or at least add a sidewalk! I believe it's the single best site in the city that has no exisitng development.

i have seen attractive retail designed into garages. However, it has a lot to do with location. the new county courthouse deck, for example, really will only draw service oriented businesses due to location.

the stool pigeons in the IJL deck is a decent local example.

What about the deck that is wrapped by LaVecchias, Brixx, and Reids? I think that looks fine (not perfect, but fine) and adds lots of restaurant space and a grocer. From the article it seems they are sensitive to views if they plan green space on the top -- otherwise why would you do that? So you can curb your dog after parking? It might appear that they are thinking of the top views, and I'm sure those w/ The Park are too, so one might assume they are thinking about the street level views as well. Given the amount of SF they are saying will be retail I think it would be more than a cleaner and sandwich place.

^I agree. That is one of the best designed above ground parking garages almost anywhere. The fact that it will sing to you if you know now to make it do so was a nice touch that I wish were a part of more buildings in Charlotte. This sounds like it could be a nice and needed addition to the city.

107_0746.jpg

I agree with metro. We definitely need parking downtown and surface lots won't cut it for much longer. Also, if there is a dry cleaner and a sub shop, I think it's great. It shows that people actually live downtown and need things like getting their suits pressed. To me, it's a move in the right direction toward being a more cosmopolitan city.

I am happy to hear this. I don't work downtown, and yesterday I planned to meet friends that do for lunch. I circled around for nearly 30 minutes looking for a spot. Every parking garage was full. I ended up having to cancel and got out of there.

That sucks. I have always been able to find a space during regular business hours in the 7th St Parking Deck and if I need to be down closer to the Wachovia campus there is always an on-street space on 3rd between College and the railroad tracks. Better luck next time.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15511340.htm

It looks like they are planning a little more than garages at this Brevard St project. Grace AME, which the county did or almost bought for an extreme amount may be bought and turned to a bed and breakfast.

I thought this would be a trouble to Verna and his Park, but it appears that Verna is involved!

It is good that the city's investment in improving Brevard will start to get the ball rolling on converting these 2nd Ward surface lots.

I am happy to hear this. I don't work downtown, and yesterday I planned to meet friends that do for lunch. I circled around for nearly 30 minutes looking for a spot. Every parking garage was full. I ended up having to cancel and got out of there.

That's too bad. There are usually lots of empty spaces in the Gateway Village garage or in the new Courthouse garage, and both are 1)cheap and 2) on the Gold Rush Red Line which makes it easy to get to the Square. Yes, then there is Seventh Street Station. And the grage behind the Dunhill is a great find. And of course it is free for the first 90 minutes, so if I am meeting friends for lunch on N. Tryon they always park at the Dunhill.

• 4 months later...
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15511340.htm

It looks like they are planning a little more than garages at this Brevard St project. Grace AME, which the county did or almost bought for an extreme amount may be bought and turned to a bed and breakfast.

I thought this would be a trouble to Verna and his Park, but it appears that Verna is involved!

It is good that the city's investment in improving Brevard will start to get the ball rolling on converting these 2nd Ward surface lots.

I agree with metro. We definitely need parking downtown and surface lots won't cut it for much longer. Also, if there is a dry cleaner and a sub shop, I think it's great. It shows that people actually live downtown and need things like getting their suits pressed. To me, it's a move in the right direction toward being a more cosmopolitan city.

Archived