Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miesian Corners

Two new parking garages on Brevard Street uptown

29 posts in this topic

Seems that developers are planning to develop the block surrounded by Brevard, Caldwell, 3rd and 4th streets with a 10 level parking garage. Ground floor will contain at least 30K square feet of retail space. Here's the story: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15466802.htm

This development would be well placed with access on 3rd and 4th making it easy to get in and out of Uptown by car, and be a short walk to the Arena and the Hall of Fame/Convention Center Area. Surely the garage will be "wrapped" given the Uptown vistas looking west today and to the north and the south in the not too distant future.

Not to be a black cloud, but I hope there's more to this retail piece than a dry cleaners and a sub shop. I don't know why I get the feeling that parking-deck-wrapped-retail is only going to draw in small service-oriented tenants. I hope I'm wrong.

This is great news. It gets rid of a nasty gravel lot, and fills a need of parking. TC...I think the retail may be lacking at first, but having the storefronts there initially will allow for re-tenanting as demand in that area increases.

Now, if they could just eliminate that horrible Norfolk/Southern lot across the street....or at least add a sidewalk! I believe it's the single best site in the city that has no exisitng development.

I hope it bodes well for more development in the area. It is definitely an odd section of town.

I hope the design is sensitive to the Brooklyn storefronts and the Grarch Chuch.

i have seen attractive retail designed into garages. However, it has a lot to do with location. the new county courthouse deck, for example, really will only draw service oriented businesses due to location.

the stool pigeons in the IJL deck is a decent local example.

What about the deck that is wrapped by LaVecchias, Brixx, and Reids? I think that looks fine (not perfect, but fine) and adds lots of restaurant space and a grocer. From the article it seems they are sensitive to views if they plan green space on the top -- otherwise why would you do that? So you can curb your dog after parking? It might appear that they are thinking of the top views, and I'm sure those w/ The Park are too, so one might assume they are thinking about the street level views as well. Given the amount of SF they are saying will be retail I think it would be more than a cleaner and sandwich place.

^I agree. That is one of the best designed above ground parking garages almost anywhere. The fact that it will sing to you if you know now to make it do so was a nice touch that I wish were a part of more buildings in Charlotte. This sounds like it could be a nice and needed addition to the city.

107_0746.jpg

I agree with metro. We definitely need parking downtown and surface lots won't cut it for much longer. Also, if there is a dry cleaner and a sub shop, I think it's great. It shows that people actually live downtown and need things like getting their suits pressed. To me, it's a move in the right direction toward being a more cosmopolitan city.

I am happy to hear this. I don't work downtown, and yesterday I planned to meet friends that do for lunch. I circled around for nearly 30 minutes looking for a spot. Every parking garage was full. I ended up having to cancel and got out of there.

I am happy to hear this. I don't work downtown, and yesterday I planned to meet friends that do for lunch. I circled around for nearly 30 minutes looking for a spot. Every parking garage was full. I ended up having to cancel and got out of there.

That sucks. I have always been able to find a space during regular business hours in the 7th St Parking Deck and if I need to be down closer to the Wachovia campus there is always an on-street space on 3rd between College and the railroad tracks. Better luck next time.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15511340.htm

It looks like they are planning a little more than garages at this Brevard St project. Grace AME, which the county did or almost bought for an extreme amount may be bought and turned to a bed and breakfast.

I thought this would be a trouble to Verna and his Park, but it appears that Verna is involved!

It is good that the city's investment in improving Brevard will start to get the ball rolling on converting these 2nd Ward surface lots.

That's too bad. There are usually lots of empty spaces in the Gateway Village garage or in the new Courthouse garage, and both are 1)cheap and 2) on the Gold Rush Red Line which makes it easy to get to the Square. Yes, then there is Seventh Street Station. And the grage behind the Dunhill is a great find. And of course it is free for the first 90 minutes, so if I am meeting friends for lunch on N. Tryon they always park at the Dunhill.

it appears that Verna is involved!

:shok:

Great. Now the whole block is not going to be developed in my lifetime.

:angry:

"It Will surround the Park"? These parking decks will surround a parking deck.

The Park is dead! Or maybe "the park" was code for 'the Park(ing) decks".

10 or 20 mil is in this year's city budget for it. I think the 20 was cut down to 10, with the other 10 being next year.

Basically, it should be timed to coincide with the NHOF, just like the Caldwell/South/277.

"It Will surround the Park"? These parking decks will surround a parking deck.

The Park is dead! Or maybe "the park" was code for 'the Park(ing) decks".

:shok:

Great. Now the whole block is not going to be developed in my lifetime.

:angry:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15511340.htm

It looks like they are planning a little more than garages at this Brevard St project. Grace AME, which the county did or almost bought for an extreme amount may be bought and turned to a bed and breakfast.

I thought this would be a trouble to Verna and his Park, but it appears that Verna is involved!

It is good that the city's investment in improving Brevard will start to get the ball rolling on converting these 2nd Ward surface lots.

I agree with metro. We definitely need parking downtown and surface lots won't cut it for much longer. Also, if there is a dry cleaner and a sub shop, I think it's great. It shows that people actually live downtown and need things like getting their suits pressed. To me, it's a move in the right direction toward being a more cosmopolitan city.

I wonder who the third party was that did that study about parking lost due to new development. Just kidding, I already know who did it

Parking has gone from $5 to $6.75 per day at the surface lots by the transit center in the last 2 years. OK, fifty

It also means more demand, not just shrinking supply. I think this will even out a bit when the light rail reopens, as thousands of spaces will be added that serve uptown employment.

^Absolutely. We used to park over at Atherton Mills and ride the trolley into downtown for a buck. Never had a problem parking and it dropped us off right next to the arena.