Nordstrom Considering Memphis

Rardy

"Forest Hill Plaza is really going to be upscale, not like any of the other shopping centers in Memphis. We're trying to get people who are not in Memphis presently as our anchors."

- Charles Wurtzburger, Founder of Cleo Wrap Inc

From today's Daily News, Nordstrom is considering a possible Memphis site for a new store in Forest Hill Plaza, Forest Hill at Winchester. Apparently, though, the company is considering only one city in Tennessee for a store, and either Nashville or Memphis will get one.

This would definitely be a feather in the cap for Memphis.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be surprised if we get Nordstrom here. Parisian didn't even work too well (but that is an entirely different issue).

I wasn't aware Parisian isn't working too well... Definitely news to me. Are you talking about their sale to Belk?

• 3 weeks later...

I am talking about their lack-luster performance, their not-so-great service and utterly knowledgeless staff. Memphis is a difficult retail market (it is known Nationally as that). The problem is the lack of a service culture and also an overall poorly educated population. I'm not saying that Nordstrom wouldn't do well - just that if you come into this market you better have all your ducks in a row. Nordstrom would have no problem doing that. Parisian is a victim of an out-of-touch corporation. The Parisian of 10 years ago would have done wonderfully here.

Places like James Davis, Joseph, Mednikow and Oak Hall reign supreme in Memphis. It is hard to compete with established retailers that continually reinvent themselves to follow fashion and changes of lifestyle. Basically, the smaller retailer is more nimble and able to change directions quicker, giving it the advantage - not to mention the service you receive at such stores - they really do care you're shopping with them.

Memphian is right, Parisian is an underperforming brand, although not just because of any local problems. It's former owner Saks has underperformed for some time as it has tried to be all things to all people from budget-minded consumers to the upscale Saks Fifth Avenue. Parisian just wasn't a great fit in that company. Maybe Belk will help it out.

Nordstrom is a stronger retailer, it's a much more focused brand, and I think they can overcome any Memphis labor shortcomings it may face. I think they can be successful and hope they come to the market.

What about the Collierville mall?

Forest Hill Plaza is the only site mentioned so far as a potential for Nordstrom... IMO any upscale department store like Nordstrom would have to be able to draw, and be easily accessible from East Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville. Carriage Crossing is simply too far for a lot of E. Memphians to drive.

Personally, I'd like to see an upscale department store in E. Memphis, either in Oak Court area, or where the Ridgeway Trace Apartments are now. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Nashville board they already have locked it up. They are waiting for it to be announced. They stated they have so much more money. Almost sounds like recruiting. I wonder if Nordstrom's is a hard lean or a soft lean? :D This will be funny if we get it. Kinda like Eric Gordan going to Indiana when Illinois basketball fans thought they had him in the basket.

According to the Nashville board they already have locked it up. They are waiting for it to be announced. They stated they have so much more money. Almost sounds like recruiting. I wonder if Nordstrom's is a hard lean or a soft lean? :D This will be funny if we get it. Kinda like Eric Gordan going to Indiana when Illinois basketball fans thought they had him in the basket.

Yeah...I saw them posting that on SSC too. I really take issue with their claim that "Nashville has soooo much more money." Statistically that's simply not true. We can go toe-to-toe with them on high-end residents.

If Nordstrom were not a possibility, I don't think Forest Hill Plaza would be moving forward as fast as it is...

Hyatt Place to build a $22 million hotel on land adjoining Forest Hill Plaza. Today's CA.

"Landmark Properties is under contract to buy the land from Wurtzburger and will develop Forest Hill Plaza, a $100 million retail and entertainment development featuring more than 600,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and a 300-room hotel.

Landmark is expected to close on the property next year, Wurtzburger said.

Landmark officials have said their goal is to bring high-end retail and restaurants to the complex, not just develop another retail center with big-box users and chain restaurants."

Just to compare, Carriage Crossing in Collierville is not much over 600,000 square feet. Hmmm..."high-end retail"...what could could that be...Nordstrom? Bloomingdale's? Sak's?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived